Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

!Need Help!! New Light Yaki -*Updated*PICS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
B-licious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B-licious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: !Need Help!! New Light Yaki -*Updated*PICS
    Posted: April 09 2008 at 3:40pm
Hello all!!  So, I have been on this board for a while, reading the newbie thread and looking at you all's Fotki's as your new lf came in, looking at your apps, researching adhesives, app techniques, watching the videos from various websites and I thought I would be ready when mine got here.  Well, my new lf light yaki arrived yesterday and I took it out of the package and "INSTANT OVERWHELMIFICATION (I made that word up)".  I thought I would know what to do, but I don't know what to do!! Cry

I tried it on to see if it fit (I remembered to do that!), but I can't figure out what to do first.  Here is my TO DO List, tell me if you would do anything different.  Also, look at my pics in fotki, why can't I see a part, is it too dense??  Does it look wiggy (I think it does)

TO DO List:
1. Cut Lace
2. Apply Fray Block
3. Bleach Bath
4. Ammonia Bath
5. Bleach Knots (I forgot about this the first time)
6. Wash and Deep Condition, Nuke
7. Apply Fray Block (Again??)
8. Double Seal Knots
9. Place on Mannequin head and let dry over night

10. Next day, apply with adhesive of choice
11. Go to salon for haircut (I want some hightlights, do I do this prior to going to the salon?) Also, if my unit is to dense in the front, should I trust a stylist to thin it out a bit or just brave it do it myself using Breh's thinning technique.

I am not scurred.

Your help and advice are greatly appreciated, I will reciprocate with Pics!!Smile

B-Lish

*UPDATE*  I applied my unit on Saturday morning and went and got it cut at 2:30pm.  Before that I did a few things wrong LIKE, I got the FabricMate cloth dye pen and changed the whole color of the cap to dark brown.  I should have only done it at the hair line, because you can not see anything at the part, but brown.  I still love it though.  Check out the new pics and in my fotki and let me know what you all think.  The NAPE!!  eww, I won't be wearing it in a high ponytail for a while and I do have a lot of work to do on my hairline with these crusty adhesives, but I think it is a good start.

Edited by B-licious - April 29 2008 at 12:48am
B-Lish is here!!
I know I'm the ish, what!
phillycutee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillycutee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 3:55pm

the unit is lovely, i would say no to the thinning because you will naturally lose hair as time goes on. The only exception to this rule is to make your hairline look natural, and in that case I would strongly suggest thinning it hair by hair using tweezers. I know its tedious, but i swear you will be happy you did it that way.

stephshe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephshe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 4:00pm
Please don't bleach bath or ammonia bath unless your unit is tangling on you

I normally seal the knots twice, wash and condition the hair, let dry, then cut the lace.

Also if you uncomfortable with bleaching the knots( I still am) you can try using sally hansen spray on the inside of the cap to help conseal them.Smile

Edited by stephshe - April 09 2008 at 4:07pm
B-licious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B-licious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by phillycutee phillycutee wrote:

the unit is lovely, i would say no to the thinning because you will naturally lose hair as time goes on. The only exception to this rule is to make your hairline look natural, and in that case I would strongly suggest thinning it hair by hair using tweezers. I know its tedious, but i swear you will be happy you did it that way.

I agree and was thinking that too!!  Thanks phillycutee!!
B-licious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B-licious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by stephshe stephshe wrote:

Please don't bleach bath or ammonia bath unless your unit is tangling on you

I normally seal the knots twice, wash and condition the hair, let dry, then cut the lace.

Also if you uncomfortable with bleaching the knots( I still am) you can try using sally hansen spray on the inside of the cap to help conseal them.Smile

OK, stepshe, IF I decide to bleach the knots, where in your process would I do it?  Thanks for the advice.
DonnaB63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaB63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 4:25pm
Good advice from both Ladies.  Even the best of units shed over time.  I made that mistake when I first started wearing LF's.  Thhinning them out to make them look more realistic, only to find that the problem would have resolved itself over the course of time.  I ruined a unit or two before I learned that.  The unit actually looks beautiful, not "wiggy" at all IMO.  I think that what you think makes it look wiggy is the fact that it is a little lifted at the crown, or, that it doesn't lie flat against your head.  But once you apply it and tie it down good, you will be surprised at how real it looks.

Also, the bleach bath should only be used when a unit seems no longer wearable due to tangling and matting (at the nape, etc.)  it does work and I have used it many a time, but I use great care because chlorine beach does a number on the hair and cap with repeated use.  Put it on your "In Case of Emergency" list. 

Just some suggestions and good luck on your lace front journeyWink
stephshe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephshe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 4:27pm
You would probably want to bleach the knots before sealing and then seal afterwards.

Your unit is really pretty! Do you have a tan colored wig cap on underneath? If not that is probably the reason you're not seeing the part but it doesn't look too thick IMO.
B-licious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B-licious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 4:40pm
Thanks, Donna and Stephshe.

Stephshe.  I don't have on a wigcap.  Maybe when i get it applied I will start to see the part.

B !!
Tea4Two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tea4Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 5:36pm

LOLI remember this was exactly how I felt when I first received my first lf.  I had been researching for months and thought I'd know what to do when the time arrived.... but when the time actually did arrive, that fear gripped me and I suddenly felt like Prissy on "Gone with the Wind"... "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies!"halloween11

Originally posted by B-licious B-licious wrote:

Hello all!! Well, my new lf light yaki arrived yesterday and I took it out of the package and "INSTANT OVERWHELMIFICATION (I made that word up)".  I thought I would know what to do, but I don't know what to do!! Cry

vtown418 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vtown418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 5:46pm

the wig is nice which vender did you use?

B-licious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B-licious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 5:48pm
Jacksun
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by B-licious B-licious wrote:

Thanks, Donna and Stephshe.

Stephshe.  I don't have on a wigcap.  Maybe when i get it applied I will start to see the part.

B !!

you don't do the bleach bath unless its needed like the other ladies said, and you won't need a wig cap b/c in your pic you've got your own skin on your head to wear so a cap isn't necessary.. just bleach them knots and you'll have a very realistic application.. its always better when you don't have hair underneath it looks better than a lf when you have hair...your going to be fierce!!!!
B-licious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B-licious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 5:57pm
Thanks, Sexi!!!

OK Here I go!!
vtown418 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vtown418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 6:05pm
What type of Sally Hansen spray is needed to conceal the knots?
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by vtown418 vtown418 wrote:

What type of Sally Hansen spray is needed to conceal the knots?

really chemical bleach lightening is best but you can fake bleach the knots its in the newbie thread..
Clueless77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clueless77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 9:25pm
B,  that is a very pretty unit.
Curlygirl11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 10:08pm
B I think that unit is going to be really pretty on you. The color is dark though so if you decide to bleach the knots remember to do the RIT Dye Color Remover on the knots 1st then bleach them. I use the Loreal SuperBlonde kit that Sexi recommended and they always come out great.
Unladylikediva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unladylikediva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 10:37pm

The unit looks awesome....I know you said it was lite yaki but what type of hair? Indian or Chinese?  BTW I agree with the ladies...PLEASE DON"T DO A BB unless you have to....also don't get to anxious. It's a learning process and you have already done half the battle by ordering and reading the information you needed to get this party started. Just take ur time and don't get discouraged...If you need get a glass of wine to sip on while you putting on your hair...you may need it! Good Luck!!!!

B-licious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B-licious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 12:07am
Thanks for the words of encouragement all!!

I am not doing the BB, as you all have suggested.  AND I think from examining my unit closer, the knots are bleached.  I remember that Sexi said that dark knots will bleach to light brown.  I noticed that they are lighter than the hair and that the hair looks bleach about 1/8 of an inch in.

As for the hair type, it is Indian lite yaki.

I have slowed down too.  I sealed the knots this afternoon and took a break and I may wash and condition it tonight.  I am applying Thurs-Sat.  Hopefully, I can get a good app after 2.5 days.  I have an appt. to get it cut on Saturday at 2:30.  I hope the stylist doesn't look at and say "Eww, chile NO!!"

Curlygirl11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 2:20am
B-Lish be sure to call the stylist ahead of time and ask him/her if they cut human hair extensions because some of them won' t do it.....something about dulling scissors and corporate policy blah, blah, blah. You don't wanna get all the way down there only to have them turn you away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic