Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ethiopian/somalian hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
happydesta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happydesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ethiopian/somalian hair
    Posted: May 03 2008 at 10:35pm
Has any of you guys purchased ethiopian or somalian hair.?  I am a quarter abesha and I know they do not use chemicals on their hair and have soft curly hair in the 3C family that can be worn straight or curly . I found someone who sells virgin ethiopian and somalian hair and they have told me that is what halle berry and other stars are using now. The sample I have seen is beautiful and I am tired of wearing processed CVR/IR that only lasts a couple of months. I have toyed  the idea of  purchasing virgin CRV/IR but my complextion and bone structure will not look good in anything that silky.

The person selling the hair does seem trustworthy for example he will video tape the hair cutting of the girl and even let me pick the hair of the person I want by showing me pics of all the girls . And I found out about him from a hairstylist but he does not have a website . And I would have to send the hair to Holly to be made into a LF. So before I took the plunge I wanted to ask you guys/vets  if any of you have purchased this hair type before. I am camera shy but I will post pics of the hair if I purchase it .
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 7:56am
my thing is i'd be sketical b/c the only reason Indian is avaliable is thru a ritual, how often is this hair going to be available? how are they obtaining it? i mean i hate to be negative but i've seen articles on how some hair is obtain thru force and just walking up to folks and cutting it off against a person's will.. and i'd also be wondering if it is truly what they say it is.. b/c if it was that readily available there would be a whole lot of it to offer to the public..
intl_babygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intl_babygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 11:19am
it might be brazillian afro hair ... or just a really soft kinky curly with european hair ..
hmm ... http://public.fotki.com/intlbabygirl/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happydesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 11:21am
He says that instead of using hair brokers he works with women there (he is from ethiopia and his wife is somali so they both speak the language) who want to sell their hair. His brother  takes a couple of photos of them  and sends it to him. He shows the photos to prospective clients and lets them choose the hair they want. Then his staff video tapes the hair being cut of from the ethiopian/somali women. So far he is the only one that is selling ethiopian hair and it is kind of pricey it costs about the same amount as brazillian hair . Like you said this hair is not readily available. These women prize their long hair and there aren't temples they donate their hair to. But I love their hair type. It is kinda like alica keys hair. And I am so tired of having my LF shed all over me.
docpam69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote docpam69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 1:10pm
Why wouldn't this hair shed? I'm around a lot of Ethopian / Somali women and their hair is very silky. it's not straight but it is silky looking.  Usually it's how I can tell where they are from along with the bone structure (think Iman)  I would be skeptical. I can video tape anything and it doesn't mean it's what you get. Plus these are contries where women are still repressed and don't have a lot of say in their own lives.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happydesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by docpam69 docpam69 wrote:

Why wouldn't this hair shed? I'm around a lot of Ethopian / Somali women and their hair is very silky. it's not straight but it is silky looking.  Usually it's how I can tell where they are from along with the bone structure (think Iman)  I would be skeptical. I can video tape anything and it doesn't mean it's what you get. Plus these are contries where women are still repressed and don't have a lot of say in their own lives.

I am a quarter abesha (ethiopian) and from looking at my distant relatives hair I know that it not as silky looking like Indian hair. And looks mostly like they have 3C/ hair . Yes some have 4a/4b hair like me also .By the way Ethiopian women are not repressed the country has been christian before most of Europe. The women are free to wear whatever they want and do as they please. The only thing they are repressed by is economics. Now I have no idea what the somilian women's life is like but from reading a few books I agree with you that their life may be repressed. So maybe I should stick with ethiopian hair?  I have had trouble with processed hair ( Remi CV and IR hair is  chemically processed to look like it is yaki,KS ect) shedding a lot . And I do not feel comfortable wearing virgin IR/CV cause I think that it looks fake against my skin tone and bone structure.

Also he shows me the picture of the women . I pick which one I want to purchase the hair from and his staff video tape it being cut off. The footage will show the date and time . So umm I do not know how they would be able to cheat me if he is going through all these steps? He is the only person I have found that offers this hair type. If you know of anyone else that sells it please PM the info.
DiorsMommy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiorsMommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 11:49pm
Well I wonder how much this really costs cause the "steps" will be time consuming at best. That's a whole lot of steps to take for each customer.

We are really just trying to warn you of things that could go wrong.  I know I've read alot of venting on this site and the other one.  If your gut says go for it, then take the plunge.  It may be so positive for you, that we can all benefit and try it if we please.  Good luck, and keep us posted.
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 9:31pm
Pictures can be doctored, and so can videos.. So the question you need to ask yourself is this: WHY or why in this BILLION DOLLAR industry is he the ONLY PERSON selling this hair??

I have a few friends in this business, and they all say that many of these so-called exotic textures being sold are false claims.. Many of these sellers are selling Indian and/or Asian hair and either processing them to a particular texture or using them as is. They then pass this hair off as a wide variety of ethnicities hair..

I personally WOULD NOT buy hair from a person who claims he is the SOLE source for the hair.. With all I know about the hair biz through my friends, this is the biggest red flag for me..

That said, if you are comfortable with his claims and the product, you should do what you feel comfortable doing..
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happydesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 10:02pm
Your advice carries a lot of weight with me Divavocals. I already paid him for the hair. Do you think that I should back out of the deal.  I used a credit card so I thought that would protect me from fraud but after reading your posting maybe the best thing for me to do is just cancel my order and eat the cancellation fee.

Originally posted by Divavocals Divavocals wrote:

Pictures can be doctored, and so can videos.. So the question you need to ask yourself is this: WHY or why in this BILLION DOLLAR industry is he the ONLY PERSON selling this hair??

I have a few friends in this business, and they all say that many of these so-called exotic textures being sold are false claims.. Many of these sellers are selling Indian and/or Asian hair and either processing them to a particular texture or using them as is. They then pass this hair off as a wide variety of ethnicities hair..

I personally WOULD NOT buy hair from a person who claims he is the SOLE source for the hair.. With all I know about the hair biz through my friends, this is the biggest red flag for me..

That said, if you are comfortable with his claims and the product, you should do what you feel comfortable doing..
checolatediva1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote checolatediva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 10:04pm

Please be careful. There are so many scammers out there. Good luck on your venture.

deevaa_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deevaa_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 10:55pm
Something don't smell right. Call it women's intuition, psyhic ability, or a plain ol' case of the heebie jeebies. Girl, I think that you better double - better yet triple - think about your decision to do business with this "vendor". The ladies are right, there are too many variables in his promise to deliver the exact goods in which you ordered. There is also the fact that upon being cut, the video taped hair will be forwared to Holly. What if hair is not what you ordered and it's made into a lf? By the time you that you get it in your hands it will be too late. I don't mean to poo poo on your decision but it does seems like a lot of work and risk involved in getting this relatively rare texture of hair.

I am also confused as to why you would imply that this hair would not shed. Maybe I'm missing something?

Please keep us posted but remember that no hair is worth the possiblity of being exposed to credit card or indentity fraud. Buyer beware.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happydesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 11:22pm

I thought that it wouln't shed cause it is virgin unprocessed hair. In the past whenever I have complained about excessive shedding I have been told that it happens cause the the hair has to be processed to have a yaki or KS texture. I really wanted this to work out but due to all the feedback I have gotten. I may cancel my order tomorrow. By the way I want to thank all of you ladies who have given me advice on this matter

Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:24am
Originally posted by happydesta happydesta wrote:

Your advice carries a lot of weight with me Divavocals. I already paid him for the hair. Do you think that I should back out of the deal.  I used a credit card so I thought that would protect me from fraud but after reading your posting maybe the best thing for me to do is just cancel my order and eat the cancellation fee.

I would not purchase.. His claims make NO sense, and smell of deception IMO..

Originally posted by happydesta happydesta wrote:

I thought that it wouln't shed cause it is virgin unprocessed hair. In the past whenever I have complained about excessive shedding I have been told that it happens cause the the hair has to be processed to have a yaki or KS texture. I really wanted this to work out but due to all the feedback I have gotten. I may cancel my order tomorrow. By the way I want to thank all of you ladies who have given me advice on this matter

EXCESSIVE shedding is a sign of poor construction PERIOD.. It has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with whether the hair has been processed or not..

Edited by Divavocals - May 07 2008 at 7:14pm
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
innovativelace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote innovativelace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 1:27pm

IMHO, i think that if in fact the hair is coming from where he says it is, I would be skeptical about letting a CV like Holly ventialate that hair. Not taking away anything from Holly, but a CV can get that hair in the hands and ventilate it on someone else's wig and send u something that looks similar without you knowing. If I have someone ventilate it for me, it would have to be somewhere in the states in my hometown where I can go and physically see them ventilating that special hair. JMHO

douglaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote douglaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2009 at 5:09pm

I am a weaveaholic I would love to buy some how could I buy some?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic