Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bleach vs. Hi-lift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
muppets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bleach vs. Hi-lift
    Posted: June 06 2008 at 9:19am
If I understand this correctly, hi-lift is NOT a bleach...    What is your preference between the two, and why? 
Beauty draws us with a single hair.
~Alexander Pope

I'm a kitchen beautician, not a licensed cosmetologist, so please take any advice I give with a grain of salt!
bnbivi00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnbivi00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 9:38am
I personally really don't have a preference.  It all depends on how much the hair has to lift and what you are wanting it to do.  If someone wants an all over blonde and has natural hair color of around 6-7, High Lift is great.  Any color less than 5, I usually use bleach and toner.  With highlights, it depends on the dimensions you want.  Sorry to be so vague.
Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 10:11am
I agree with bnbivi00, but I like to use hi lift on base  level 6 as it causes less damage to the hair. I love the wella hi lifts great shades and tones.

Karen

Ps, Hi lifts are not bleach, they are colours used with 12% (40vol) or 9% (30vol)

Edited by karen s - June 06 2008 at 10:13am
karen sanderson
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 5:29pm
I like both, but if you want a reliable blonde, especially if you want ashy or a toned blonde, you should go with bleach and 20 vol. Actually, it has been found that bleach and 20 vol. is gentler than a highlift (double 40 vol.). Now, if you don't use double 40 with highlift, it will be more gentle, but you won't get all the lift. What's good about high lifts is that they make the hair shine -- I used to use them on my Level 1 hair and they come up to a beautiful copper brown (always using ash shade). Sometimes highlifts do not even work on Level 6 and higher; every head is different.
Love clip-ins and tape!
muppets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 7:21pm
OK, thanks! That's good to know!

~Alexander Pope

I'm a kitchen beautician, not a licensed cosmetologist, so please take any advice I give with a grain of salt!
muppets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 5:03pm
I would like to color my platinum blonde bangs one shade darker, and lift the rest of my hair (which I estimate to be about a level 7) to a pale blonde.

Should I buy a darker toner to make my bangs darker? Right now the only toners i have are Clairol 323 (extra-light platinum base blue-violet) and Fanci-tone 49/10BV (ultra white minx).  Also, the only developer I have is 40 vol - should I buy 30 and/or 20 vol?
~Alexander Pope

muppets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 5:07pm
And now for how to lift the rest of my hair, which is about level 7...

I have a packet of L'oreal Quick Blue powder bleach, as well as a packet of Blue Kaleidocolor lightener.  Seems to me that a high-lift lightener like Kaleidocolor is harder to screw up.
~Alexander Pope

fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2008 at 12:08pm
To darken your platinum, I would go with, like, a Level 9 neutral blonde (deposit-only) colour. This will likely take you to a Level 8 and then fade up. Not sure if Clairol Toner (other than Towhead) can take you one level darker?

To lift your Level 7 hair (if it's not coloured), you could use a highlift blonde (equal parts 40 vol. or 30 vol peroxide) or just a light blonde colour, like a Level 10 --- ASH!!!Tongue Make sure to go ash in anything you use to lift because it will go golden. If you do go with bleach, Kaleidocolor would be fine if you are highlighting but NOT on the scalp. You need a bleach that will be good for the scalp, like Blondor or 7th stage.
Love clip-ins and tape!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic