Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help w/light blonde highlights using goldwell?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sackpac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sackpac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help w/light blonde highlights using goldwell?
    Posted: June 21 2008 at 1:25pm
Hi everyone seems pretty knowledgable here so I was wondering if someone could help me. My natural color is about a 7 and I have foiled blonde highlights (about a 10) which are faded and about 4-5-months old.  I can't afford salon highlights anymore and have been lurking and reading about haircolor for months trying to learn the color technology.  I know my stylist used 30 vol topchic developer and a 9 or 10 level for highlights.  My hair usually pulls orange so I was thinking of using 10P?  Or is the P series more for mixing with another color.  Should I use a 10a or 10na with 25% of 10P mixed in?  Or will the 10P work by itself?  I'm looking for very light highlights with no orange or brassiness.  Do I also need to use a toner or does the 10P take care of any orange that might come through.  I plan on a few strand tests before doing my entire head. Thank you so much for any help you can offer.
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2008 at 6:08pm
OK Sack; I had to log in just to help you! LOL Also because I think your case is pretty easy/simple. I think you are on target with the Goldwell 10P, but I would go with the 10 A (ash) or something blue-based as opposed to violet-based. If your hair tends to go to orange, you need to offset that with blue (if I'm remembering the colour wheel properly!). Just make sure not to overlap it onto your blonde highlights --- could go a bit grey.

I would also say that you could easily go with a gentle bleach (20 vol.) and get reliable results; not worrying about going brassy. Also, 20 vol. bleach is less damaging on hair than 30 vol. and blonde colour (if done properly!). You would probably come up pretty fast; just need to watch it.

Good for you for trying it on your own. You can do it; let us know how it goes! Tongue
Love clip-ins and tape!
sackpac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sackpac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2008 at 2:20am
Thanks for the reply, I haven't bought the product yet-didn't want to buy the wrong color and trying to build my confidence by reading as much as I can about it.  Normally I had my hair foiled every 3 months so the the colorist would color over the old color.

Will I need to tone after this procedure and can you suggest a good toner?

What if I decided to color my entire head, would there be a different procedure.  Thank you much for your reply!
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 11:59am
Originally posted by sackpac sackpac wrote:

Will I need to tone after this procedure and can you suggest a good toner?

What if I decided to color my entire head, would there be a different procedure.  Thank you much for your reply!

I don't think you would need a toner after the 10 P or 10A -- it provides that for you. You may want to keep a good violet-shampoo/conditioner on hand though, so you can cut any possible brassy tones.

If you do your whole head, it would be a different procedure depending on what colour you wanted to go. If you want to lift your roots AND tone your whole head, you would probably need to go with a Level 10 or 9 Neutral colour so your highlights don't go off-tone. Smile
Love clip-ins and tape!
sackpac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sackpac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 5:57pm
Thanks much for the information! Would I use the violet shampoo right after I foiled? and can you recommend a good one?

Regarding coloring my entire head I would probably want a level 9 but again wouldn't want it to be too yellow or orangey.  So I can go with a 9a or 9n or 9na and that would bring all my hair to the same color?  When I touch up my roots is there some special procedure to make sure I get the color only on my roots or does it matter if a little gets on the previous colored hair?  Would I need to tone then or would the violet shampoo work for this procedure as well? Thanks so much for your replies.
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 1:19pm

Thanks much for the information! ....

Sack; you are so welcome!Tongue
Would I use the violet shampoo right after I foiled? and can you recommend a good one?
- You know...it really depends. If you see any left over yellow in the highlights, then you would use the violet shampoo/conditioner. Some great ones include: Shimmer Lights, Artec White Violet, Redken Glam Pearl and AG Toning Conditioner  --- there are lots of other good ones too. I would recommend going to a salon and perusing their products to see what kinds of toning products they have. Just about every salon has them.

So I can go with a 9a or 9n or 9na and that would bring all my hair to the same color? 
- No, the 9 a,n or na won't bring you to all one colour because your hair is not one colour. To bring your hair to all one colour, you would have to fill or use a darker colour on your highlights, or a deposit-only colour to bring them in line with your all-over base. The tricky thing is: if your highlights are porous, they could go darker than the rest of your hair. If you don't want to worry about any off-tones, I would go with the 9na, because it will have a base of brown in it with a bit of ash. That way, your highlights are likely to go grey.

When I touch up my roots is there some special procedure to make sure I get the color only on my roots or does it matter if a little gets on the previous colored hair?  Would I need to tone then or would the violet shampoo work for this procedure as well?
- Honestly, this is where the WORK comes in. If you just want to do your roots without getting it on the rest of your highlights, you need to cover those highlights in some way. What I usually do in that case, is put conditioner on the section of highlights I want to keep and foil them up and clip them out of the way. Do this to all your highlights. After, apply your base Level 9 colour to your roots and let it process. Rinse after about 40 mins and make sure to rinse the base colour (Level 9) completely out of your hair BEFORE you take down the foil pieces. You don't want to tone them, especially if your colouring with 9ash. They could go grey/blue.

Oh, wait a minute...if you mean does it matter if it gets on your Level 7 hair (coloured), it may make them a bit lighter or brassy, so I would try to be as accurate as you can. But remember, colour does not lift colour, so the Level 9 colour will lift your underlying pigment but it won't lighten your Level 7 hair shaft like it will your Level 7 roots (which are uncoloured).

Sorry for the word-diarrhea! I can never make it brief!! LOL
Love clip-ins and tape!
sackpac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sackpac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 2:50pm
Wow that sounds like a lot of work.  Maybe I'll stick to the highlights.  So basically I just need to try to keep the color off the old highlights?  That seems tricky.  So from your earlier post I understand if I accidently get 10a on my highlights they may turn gray, what color would they turn if I get 10p on my highlights?

That's so much for all the recommendations for the violet shampoos, I've heard of Shimmer Lights  and a few of the others. Thanks for all the color info!

sackpac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sackpac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 4:08pm
also regarding the violet shampoos or toners, how often do I apply and will it change the color or tone of the rest (non-highlighted) of my hair?
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 2:42pm

also regarding the violet shampoos or toners, how often do I apply and will it change the color or tone of the rest (non-highlighted) of my hair?

If you get the 10P on your highlights, it likely wouldn't be too bad or AS bad as 10A. It would likely put a slight violet cast on your highlights, but it may just cut any brass or gold that might be in them (always a good thing!).

The frequency with which you use the violet shampoos/toners/conditioners is entirely up to you. Personally, I like to use them every or every other wash just to keep my hair white-ish or non-brassy. You may only want to use them IF you see any yellow tones in your hair. They may make the rest of your hair (non-lightened) a bit more ashy, which can make it appear darker. That may not be a bad thing in your situation. They are so useful that, IMO, you should always have violet shampoos/conditioners in your bathroom cabinet!LOL Hope everything works out for you!
Love clip-ins and tape!
sackpac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sackpac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 5:37pm
Thanks so much fakeizme, you've been a huge help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic