Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How I Removed Vaseline from My Wig after a Dye Job
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How I Removed Vaseline from My Wig after a Dye Job

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amazon1147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amazon1147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How I Removed Vaseline from My Wig after a Dye Job
    Posted: June 29 2008 at 12:43am

I had a hair disaster this weekend. I dyed the roots of one of my wigs and  put Vaseline on the inside of the cap, which is what I always do when I dye a wig. Well this time, the darn Vaseline residue got stuck in the hair shaft – I had no problem getting the Vaseline out of the lace, but the Vaseline, got into the hair and weighed it down. No matter how many times I washed the hair, sprayed it with goo gone, used a clarifying shampoo etc, the Vaseline would not budge. So finally I started messing around online and found the following sites with great information for removing grease / Vaseline from hair, clothes, etc:

http://www.hairboutique.com/tip951.htm

http://www.ultrasonic-stain-remover.com/cleaning_products.htm

http://www.mrscleannw.com/tips/grease-stain.html                       

http://lifehacker.com/software/macgyver/macgyver-tip--remove-grease-stains-with-cornmeal-249125.php

The tips I found on these sites worked like a charm on my unit and now my unit is back to having body – it is no longer greasy and weighed down.

Here is what I did to my unit after reviewing the above sites to clean my wig-

1- I mixed in some baking soda with my clarifying shampoo and shampooed the wig. I did this 2x.

2-I let the wig dry on my fan for about 20 minutes.

3-I saturated my wig with some cornmeal (if u have cornstarch u can use that, I used cornmeal because I did not have any cornstarch). I let the cornstarch sit on the hair for about an hour.

4-I shampooed the hair for the last time with my mixture of baking soda and clarifying shampoo and doggoneit  that unit is back to normal

5-Cornstarch, baking soda, clarifying shampoo, etc, are very drying so make sure you put some moisture back in the hair when u are done cleaning/ shampooing the wig. I just used my regular conditioner on the unit.

I hope this helps someone, cuz boy was I frustrated until I found those sitesIf this does happen to you, you may not have to wash your hair as many times as I did with the clarifying shampoo and baking soda mixture, I just did it because this wig almost had me in tears, I just wanted that grease out of my wig so badly.

Just a warning, the cornmeal did get embedded into my lace cap in some spots, so I used a soft tooth brush and brushed out as much as I could.

BTW-. I am not sure if this tip has already been posted on the LF board, if it has I apologize for repeating the information. 

Edited by amazon1147 - June 29 2008 at 12:53am
*Mrs.Hoyle* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Mrs.Hoyle* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 9:08am
thanks for the tips! this needs to be in the newbie thread for realClap
GAKKIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAKKIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 10:22pm
Baking soda mixed w/DAWN(not JOY or any of the cuzins on the shelf) dishwashing liquid will strip your skin off!! I use it on everything esp LF clean up. Don't add water. Put the 2 ingredients in a bowl and mix it 2gether.Shampoo then follow up w/ a moisture cond. like amazon1 said. It'll fell like chalk if you don't.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic