Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help Natural Hair is Now Completely Highlighted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help Natural Hair is Now Completely Highlighted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
*Jill* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Jill* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Natural Hair is Now Completely Highlighted
    Posted: July 06 2008 at 4:36am
Hi all~

Yesterday I had beautiful, shiny, healthy long brown hair.  It was my best asset.

I used a Loreal Frosting kit that had a cap.  My BF pulled the strands through the cap and applied the frosting.  Somehow he pulled all my hair through the cap holes and now my hair is completely the frosted blond color and it is horrible.

It is dry and brittle now.

How do I go back to a color that is close to my natural color?

Jill
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2008 at 8:29am
You could apply the cap again and put low- lights through to blend with the blonde, but don't pull a full head this time. Try and wait 2 weeks before doing this, in the meantime plenty of good conditioner.

If you want to go back to your natural colour, you may need to pre pigment (use a filler) on the blonde and then apply your natural colour over this. I would go with the low- lights first see if you like this look.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on, Karen
karen sanderson
*Jill* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Jill* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2008 at 8:33am
Thanks, Karen.  I know I should wait two weeks before doing this, but I won't leave the house looking this way.

Is there a brand of color that works best on bleached hair that you would recommend?

I looked up the following:

Loreal Excellence Creme

5 Medium Brown

Garnier Nutrisse

50 - MEDIUM NATURAL BROWN  (TRUFFLE)

Loreal Natural Match

5 Medium Brown or

5 ½ soft medium brown

I was born dirty blonde and over the years, my hair has become medium/darkish brown with goldish highlights.

Thanks.

Edited by *Jill* - July 06 2008 at 8:41am
Jill
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2008 at 9:15am
Hi Jill,

I am a hairstylist and I only use professional colour, however I would recommend is the Garnier Nutrisse medium brown ( Truffle) only because my sister used this and the colour was healthy, shinny and lovely.

Do you not fancy the low-lights then Jill?

Karen

PS if you cant wait, then go ahead and use, just use plenty of good conditioner.

Edited by karen s - July 06 2008 at 9:17am
karen sanderson
*Jill* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Jill* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2008 at 9:57am
Hi Karen~

I absolutely fancy the low-lights.  The problem is that my since my hair is long, I don't think it would be easy to pull through the cap again.  I have fine hair, which is now like a horses tail.  Had only a little bit the hair been highlighted, I bet it would have looked nice, as the color is nice for highlights, not for all over though, it is really awful.  I looked like a low class bleached blonde woman who desperately needs her roots done, as the bleach color starts about 1.5 inches from my scalp.  Picture that!

If you feel the Garnier is better, I will get that one.

What's interesing is that last December, I switched to Lush products.  I use their solid shampoos and conditioner which is without silicones.  It took a few weeks for my hair to get used to no silicones, but after that, my hair has never looked better.  No frizz, no flyaways.  Now I've gone and ruined it.  People used to stop me to say how shiny my hair is.  Ugh.

Last night I did the Marilyn condioner from Lush and left it on for several hours.  It feels a bit better now.

Thanks so much, Karen.
Jill
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2008 at 12:47pm

Hi Jill,

I understand what you mean, pulling fine hair through a cap is definitely not a good idea ( can be painful too). To be honest I hate the cap and always try to talk client into foils. ( Cap is only good for short hair, I feel)

Do you have a friend who can do a few foils in the shape of a T at the top of your head to give you some low-lights.?

KarenSmile

Edited by karen s - July 06 2008 at 12:47pm
karen sanderson
*Jill* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Jill* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2008 at 4:16pm
Hi Karen~

Yes, it was quite painfull!  Never again.

Well, we used the Garnier in the medium brown and the color is almost spot on to my natural color.  I have more reddish/golden hints to my hair, but I bet no one at work will even notice the difference.

The foils would have been a good idea.  I don't have a hairdresser here.  I moved from Los Angeles and left behind my wonderful hairdresser.

Will the color stay for good, or will it fade and my tresses will be that nasty white/yellow color again?  I know when people do their hair, they have to touch up the roots, but since my roots will grow in the color of my hair, I won't have to do them again, unless of course I decide to rid myself of my little bit of grey hair.

There are a few places that were missed, but not really noticeable....I don't think.

Thank you so much for your help.  I totally appreciate it.  Now I have to see if all my shampoos will strip the color.  My conditioner is fine.  I use a solid conditioner, called Jungle, from a company called Lush, which is in the UK.  The solid shampoo pucks may not be good for my current state of hair.

I am going to do another deep, leave in conditioner tonight as my hair still is no where as soft as it was.  I should have never have done anything.  My hair was in fabulous shape and I was so proud of the condition since stopping using silicones.  It was shiny like the commercials you see on TV.
Jill
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 7:05am
Hi Jill,

You may get a bit of fading, but don't worry as the next time you colour your hair it should fade less. You can just do the roots and pull the rest of the colour through the last 10 mins, just to refresh the middle lengths and ends of your hair. Keep up with the conditioner, this will help with the condition of your hair, also go for a trim every 6 weeks, helps get rid of any damaged hair, keeps the hair healthy.

Glad to have helped you in some small way Jill.

Karen:)
karen sanderson
*Jill* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Jill* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 8:18am
Karen, you have helped in a HUGE way, not a small way.

So, to make matters worse!!!  Remember I said I put in that Marilyn conditioner????  Well, after having it on for six hours, I realized that it has lemon juice in it!!!!!!!!  I had originally bought it for conditioning, brighting and natural lightening.........  When I realized this, I hopped into the shower and rinsed it out, along with some color, so I have some blonde streaking through some of my hair.  It's not noticeable, except if you know about it and look.

Karen, can I buy another box and dye it again?  I don't want more damage, just more color.  I can wait two weeks if need be as it's not extremely noticeable that I've done anything.  I am at work now and no one has said anything.

Also, I now think I see a greenish hue...I think.

Jill
Jill
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by *Jill* *Jill* wrote:

Karen, you have helped in a HUGE way, not a small way.

So, to make matters worse!!!  Remember I said I put in that Marilyn conditioner????  Well, after having it on for six hours, I realized that it has lemon juice in it!!!!!!!!  I had originally bought it for conditioning, brighting and natural lightening.........  When I realized this, I hopped into the shower and rinsed it out, along with some color, so I have some blonde streaking through some of my hair.  It's not noticeable, except if you know about it and look.

Karen, can I buy another box and dye it again?  I don't want more damage, just more color.  I can wait two weeks if need be as it's not extremely noticeable that I've done anything.  I am at work now and no one has said anything.

Also, I now think I see a greenish hue...I think.

Jill

Hey Jill; sounds like you have received great advice from Karen. What I wanted to let you know is that ANY process you do to your hair is going to be damaging to some extent. If you use a permanent colour again, it will be damaging, it just won't LOOK like it's damaged because it's darker. Please use the medium brown in a 'deposit-only' formula (less volume of peroxide), which are less damaging. When you go dark from so light, you should always use a colour with golden or red tones as it will go darker and grab drab otherwise.

Just do a good deep conditioning on it and go to town. Good luck!
Love clip-ins and tape!
*Jill* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Jill* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 1:02pm
Hi _____~

Thanks for your reply.  I don't quite understand the "deposit-only" sentence.  How do I know if the box contains a lower volume of peroxide?  I used the medium natural brown from the natural line of Garnier.  They had other colors with golds and red in them.  If I use a gold or red, won't it make my hair reddish or goldish?  As it is now, with the natural medium brown, I have gold and red in my hair.  What is grab drab?
Jill
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 1:53pm
Hi Jill, lol

Grab drab, I haven't a clue either, lol, hopefully fakeeizme can tell us, lol

You used lemon conditioner on your hair, oh girl, tut, tut, lol

Just use the same colour as before, but I agree to leave it for 2 weeks.

As for the green hue you think you see, yes I would also agree with fakeizme to use something with golden tones, but as you have loads of warm tones already, I would just use the previous colour see how you go, should be fine. I think box colours like browns and darker base colours are deposit only colours only aren't they, lol. I am not to clued up on box colour cos its professional ones I use, so I may be wrong, just check the box, Jill, lol.

Jill put the Marilyn conditioner in the bin, hunnie, lolThumbs%20Up

Karen x
karen sanderson
*Jill* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Jill* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 2:14pm
Thanks, Karen.  Can you believe I used lemon juice and kept it on for six long hours!  I'm a nut.

Jill
Jill
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by *Jill* *Jill* wrote:

Hi _____~

Thanks for your reply.  I don't quite understand the "deposit-only" sentence.  How do I know if the box contains a lower volume of peroxide?  I used the medium natural brown from the natural line of Garnier.  They had other colors with golds and red in them.  If I use a gold or red, won't it make my hair reddish or goldish?  As it is now, with the natural medium brown, I have gold and red in my hair.  What is grab drab?

I'm sorry, by 'deposit-only,' I mean demi or semi-permanent colour like Natural Instincts or anything that advertises itself as temporary or washing out in 24 washes. Believe me, it won't wash out on you! Now, I can't look back and see what your original post was, but I think when I was referring to the gold/reds, I meant when dying your very blonde pieces back to brown. You need to put the tones back in your hair that you stripped out when you bleached (for the colour to hold). If you buy a golden brown or neutral brown, they have the fill colours included for you, so a lot of times you don't have to fill prior to using them.

Grabbing drab is when very bleached hair (white) is so porous that it soaks up any darker colour that is put on it. Porous hair always grabs dark and wants to go grey or off-toned (it's one of the rules of colour). That's why you need a porosity filler or a red or golden tone to even up the porosity and prepare it for the colour to come!

Have I confused you even more?!!LOL
Love clip-ins and tape!
Slipknothartgir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slipknothartgir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2008 at 1:47pm
aww, I had to come on here & say I'm so so sorry your hair is messed up.I sure hope u don't have to cut that long hair off.Whatever u do, don't use bleach again.I hate that crap! The only way I ever used it was at a salon,but still be very careful about bleach.Good luck on whatever u do.:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic