Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will this work? (Hair dye question)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aidyl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aidyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will this work? (Hair dye question)
    Posted: August 01 2008 at 12:02pm
Hi!

I want to go back to my natural hair color...which is a DARK BROWN. I dyed it a while back with a drugstore dye (which I believe are permanent color..??)...and it faded to an orangey brown that is quite a bit lighter than my natural color. (I also had blonde highlights done previous to this).

I went to the salon yesterday and told the woman that I want to go back to my natural color again. So she suggested dying it as close to it as possible so when it grows out it wont be as obvious. She dyed my hair using a demi permanent color and said to come back in about 3 weeks to get it dyed once more with that same product, and then I should be all set. (no more having to go in and getting it dyed again)

So does this sound like it will work? I know nothing about hair dying. Or will it fade back to that orangey color? Thanks for taking the time to read!:)

Edited by aidyl - August 01 2008 at 12:12pm
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 12:26pm
Hey Aidyl!

In a word: YES!!!!LOL

That hairdresser sound like she knows what she's talking about! She is also trying to do what is best and least damaging for your hair --- using the demi. She's right though, the demi will fade and you will need to reapply to really get it to stick in your hair.

She may have mentioned it, but do at least one deep conditioning before you go back to get your hair done again. The conditioning will help the colour to stick. OH, and I would also suggest that you buy a brunette shampoo/conditioner (not drugstore) that can help you maintain your colour after she does it. There is a chance it will still fade after the second time. Tongue
Love clip-ins and tape!
aidyl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aidyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 12:56am
thanks a lot for the reassurance :) see..i know nothing about anything hair color. (if i did i wouldnt have dyed my hair ever in the first place lol) i just don't understand that if i have a permanent color that is lighter than my natural and demi color... underneath the demi color, how it will eventually not fade back to that orangey lighter color?
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 4:35am

Semi haircolor and demi do not contain hydrogen peroxide so they do not lighten hair but deposit color only.

It may still fade some depending on how porous your hair is.Hair that has been highlighted,lightened,or bleached can be porous and not hold color that well,or hold it too much then fade quickly.
When I went from light blonde back to my natural brown,I had to color several times.
If you find it fades even after your stylist colors again,ask her about a color depositing shampoo to help between dye jobs.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 3:58am
Loving Care is a semi and does not contain peroxide.I meant that demis do not contain Ammonia.Although the one I use has minimal peroxide.Just enough to open the cuticle to allow the color in.
After a few times the color will stick.
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 11:34am
Cheese and Jules: you're both right. The demis do have a low % volume peroxide to help the colour to penetrate although they are not supposed to lighten the hair. They also contain low ammonia. A semi is ideal, but it will likely slip off the hair shaft if you don't use heat. I think of colour shampoos and conditioners as a type of semi because they do deposit colour onto the hair.
Love clip-ins and tape!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic