Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Growing SHORT hair OUT after 12 yrs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
smilinjenn71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Growing SHORT hair OUT after 12 yrs
    Posted: August 23 2008 at 10:05am
So, after having my hair short for over 12 yrs, I'm finally growing it out again.  I've read online that hair grows about 1/2 and inch each month, so it will take awhile for it to be to my shoulders again....UGH!Confused

If anyone has tips and/or advice for me on how to grow out without getting frustrated and cutting it all OFF again, please chime in!  Also, my hair is pretty straight.  That information might help you in giving advice.  I might even get organized enough to post pics from where I started to the end of the journey.  I haven't had it cut in 5 weeks... my usual was every 3 weeks.

Thanks!Big%20smile
Jenn
Addy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 7:57pm
The growing out stage is the hardest!   

What I recommend comes from within and that is patience!  Have fun with your hair while you are growing it out!  I liked the messy look myself for a long time, styled with products and maybe even some cute barrets or something until it becomes more managable...  

but yeah, lotz and lotz of patience!   AND maybe a hat!LOL   A hat will never fail you!Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 9:32am
LOL... yea maybe I should invest in a hat or two!
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 2:46pm
I've been growing out my short hair for about a yr. I grew my hair to shoulder length. Maintained it there while trimming off layers. Oh, I wore a headband alot too. Good luck! I will be looking forward to your progress pics.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 4:40pm
     Welcome to HB, Jenn! Big%20smile Since you have maintained your hair at a short length for more than a decade, growing it will really be stretching your comfort zone. It will take plenty of guts and resolve. Especially, on a not-so-great hair day when someone (almost certainly a woman) sighs that she *really* had loved your short hair. You'll have to keep your eye on the target.
     I suggest keeping photos of long styles that you might realistically achieve on your bathroom wall to inspire you during moments of waning enthusiasm. Also, find another woman who is growing out, so you can celebrate achieved goals and commiserate about your struggles. There may be some on these boards who would be interested. Of course, keep posting here. Some really terrific gals here!!
     The best story I can relate is that of my own wife, who had a semi-spike crop in the summer of '98, and for the past half decade has had hair between her waist and tailbone. And 2 1/2' of hair has been trimmed in that time! Good luck,Jenn! Bob Star

Edited by Bob S - August 26 2008 at 4:40pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 8:00pm

PAPER & BOB,

Thank you for your support and encouragement.  I'll keep looking at long hairstyles online and keep some pics around too.  Currently I've just been looking at "in between" hairstyles.  That way I can hopefully go from one stage to another as it grows and not just whack it all off!

I wore a headband to work today and thought I was going to DIE!  It was squishing the sides of my head and even tonight I'm having phantom headband feelings in my hair.  Haven't worn it in hours and it still feels like it's there...haha.  I *did* pick up some cute clips for my bangs when they get so long and unruly.

I'll check back in later... thanks again!
Jenn
cherd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cherd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 11:37am
OMG - I want a hair growth support buddy!  After spending 4 years to grow my hair our from a short length to just at my bra-line, I chopped it all off 2 days ago.  Cry I HATE it.  I don't know what I was thinking - the remark about not being swayed by friends who miss your short hair is totally true.  I had a few girlfriends swear they loved "short hair Catherine" and encourage me to chop it all off.  Then, when I DID and said I hated it and was going to try to grow it out, one of those friends says she's always been envious of me and how fast/well my hair grows.  So - I want to team up and encourage each other to stick to it.  Solidarity!  We will have long hair!

On another note, I've been seriously considering extensions.  I'm scared that they'll do more damage than good in the long run - quick fixes are too good to be true, right?

So, anyhow, here we are - my hair is barely chinlength in the front and even shorter in the back (he made it like 4 inches shorter than I asked!). 

So far - I like pig tails OK (they're tiny!) and I think I'm a month from an acceptable pony tail (I can barely get it in one now but I think it looks dumb). I also have this plan for pinning it agains my head - as though I have so much hair I'm putting it in a bun with lots of bobby pins etc.  And a few loose strands in the front (the inverse - with long hair those would be my shortest hairs.  now they are my longest!).

I've heard that 1/2 inch per month is the MAX but I'm determined to beat that! StarTongue

Edited by cherd - August 28 2008 at 11:53am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 11:09am
CHERD, I sent you a private message.

Guess you and I will have "growing pains" together...hehe. 

I was going to add pics of my hair in July and now but I don't see how you do that. (???)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 2:08pm
Hair%20in%20July%2008 

This is my hair in July '08. 

Edited by smilinjenn71 - August 29 2008 at 2:08pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 2:09pm
Jenn%20hair%20Aug%2008

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 2:11pm

This is Aug '08 - you can see how the back was longer to spike out and the top longer too - beginning to bend over some in the front.

It's been 7 weeks since my last cut but I don't think I will need a trim for another month, possibly more.  Time will tell I suppose.

fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 2:55am
Actually, you look great with short hair Jenn, but no doubt you want a change after 12 years.
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 6:15am
yes, I agree you look cute in short hair. I'm sure you will enjoy having long hair for a change. Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 9:04am
Thank you both!  People keep complimenting my hair right now... makes me wonder if I should grow it out or not!  However, I am ready for a change!
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 5:11am
Jenn, you might consider keeping a hair journal here. If you check them out you will see that there are some very good ones and the people involved seem to take new strength from keeping a regular record of their hair growth achievement. I think Longhairdreams has a really good one.
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 7:48am
I agree with fatmoogas, keeping a journal or blog is a great idea. Also, taking progress pics helps too. Even if you feel your hair isn't growing you can really see the difference. I look forward to taking my progress pics the first of every month. I'd like to wait 3 months so I can see a bigger difference. But, I don't think I can wait that long lol.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2008 at 4:06pm

Thanks!  I'm not sure I'm up for blogging these days.  I'm sure I talk enough about my hair and its issues to family and coworkers as it is...LOL!!!  However, I might read what some others have blogged/journaled.

This pic is Sept. 6th, 2008.  I'm scheduled to get a trim on Oct. 3rd.  I need to even up some areas that have been razored in the past.  I'm not used to seeing my hair looking less 'hip' than it used to. Geek
Addy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 3:36pm
It's growing! 

You look so cute too!  

I remember the growing out stage. Ouch  Not fun at all but by this time next year, you will be amazed at how much it's grown!Big%20smile 

Me personally, I'd let it go a little longer before a trim and when you do get it trimmed, make darn sure they know you are growing out so you don't get scalped!Dead

Good Growing Wishes for You!  Please let us know what you do!!Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 4:12pm
Thank you for your encouragement ADDY.. and for the compliments.Embarrassed  Yea, I'll definitely be sure to convey that I only want a trim... not to go crazy!!!  My intentions are to have the length in the back shortened over the next few months to avoid that whole 'mullet' look....EEKS!  That way I can grow into a bob and then work on length once I get everything kinda evened out.  I have A LOT of layers, so it will take a long time to grow them out.  I don't forsee myself not having layers of some sort though... just not my style.Tongue

I've been reading some of the blogs here by PAPER, LONGHAIRDREAMS and a few others.  Very interesting and informative.  Thanks for the tip FATMOOGAS!!

Happy Hair Growing to you all!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 2:50pm

OK, so it's Pic time again.  It's Oct. 10th and I had my first trim on Oct. 3rd.  He just dusted the ends to even up where it's been razored in the past.  It's still not completely even of course because we are trying to preserve length.

I'm also researching Henna and just ordered samples to try on some hair I saved from my cut.  The amount is sooooo small that I'm not sure I'll get a very good result but I'm going to try!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic