Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Yellowy blonde, advvice for my next salon trip?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yellowy blonde, advvice for my next salon trip?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stilldocked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilldocked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellowy blonde, advvice for my next salon trip?
    Posted: September 15 2008 at 4:25pm
Basically within the past 6 months I've gone from very dark brown to quite a bright, but yellowish and brassy blonde. Everytime I go to the hairdressers I ask for the yellowy/ brassiness to be toned down but I always just end up with a brighter version of it. The past two times all they've done is added a full head of more blonde foils over the top.. I suppose I'm just bad at asking for what I want! And also, it's the bottom layer of my hair that's the brassiest, yet they always miss off this part when they do the foils... so I need some help on what to specifically ask for when I go next week! Like exact colours and stuff (I have absolutely no clue). I really want to achieve a sort of champagne/baby blonde (shown in pictures).. well at least that's what I think it is haha. At best I'd like to have the brightest one but if that's not possible all at once then that's fine! I'm also considering investing in some purple/silver shampoo.. would this do me any good and which do you recommend? Lastly, I was thinking of having my eyebrows tinted.. judging by my pics, do you think it's a good idea? I also apologise for my horrendous photos.. I couldn't find anything that showed my colour properly! Also it's really really bad at the minute because there's been nothing done to it in 5 weeks! Thanks for any suggestions.

karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2008 at 9:45am

First of all you photo is fine, lol. Ask the hairstylist if they use hi lift colour, if the don't, then when they apply bleach to your hair, the reason the don't take it through the ends is that its probably very porous and with it already being bleached. So let then do your roots as normal and ask them to tone the yellow down with an ash toner, this will cancel out any warm tones in your hair. Yes I would also recommend you use a purple shampoo to keep the warm tones at bay. I use Schwartzkopf silver shampoo, available at Sally's, it is a purple shampoo and I use it on my clients, I love it, but I am sure other members will recommend other purple/violet shampoos.

I hope that helped a little. Don't be afraid to ask what you want, if you don't ask they stylist wont know, that you are unhappy with the final result, thats what I always say to my clientèle, lol
karen sanderson
jjrn13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrn13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 10:55am
I am a life long brass warror!  My natural color (best as I can recall and from childhood pictures) would be considered light raven or dark strawberry blonde.  Ironically, having been every color in the book, several times, the only color that looks terrible on me is anything red.  After countless disasters, I have settled on the following Color Charm/Wella formula:
     #1030 (palest ash) or #740 (light ash) ... personal preference
     #50     Light drabber 1/4 bottle     (you can just eyeball
     #BP     Blonding Plus 1/8 bottle       these two)
     Unred Hair color additive ... 4 drops in winter, 6 drops in summer
Mix the above with 30 Volume clear peroxide.

While this may seem complicated, it truly is not.  If the result is still too brassy, go with the #740 and add more Light drabber and an extra drop or two of Unred.  You will become a pro in no time and all of the products are available online.
    Now, I know its nicer to go and have it done but, if the results are poor, this is worth the effort, will save you a bundle, when the formula is just right, takes very little time to do, and you can do it at your leisure (even at midnight).
    Notice, this is a one step process...not bleaching/stripping involved hence much less hair damage.  The purple/silver shampoos also work.  BTW, I read some time ago that, after coloring your hair, do not shampoo it out but rinse thoroughly, apply a cream rinse, and rinse again.  This allows the color to "set."  Then follow next washing with a very mild shampoo or a purple one.

Edited by jjrn13 - September 17 2008 at 10:59am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilldocked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by jjrn13 jjrn13 wrote:

I am a life long brass warror!  My natural color (best as I can recall and from childhood pictures) would be considered light raven or dark strawberry blonde.  Ironically, having been every color in the book, several times, the only color that looks terrible on me is anything red.  After countless disasters, I have settled on the following Color Charm/Wella formula:
     #1030 (palest ash) or #740 (light ash) ... personal preference
     #50     Light drabber 1/4 bottle     (you can just eyeball
     #BP     Blonding Plus 1/8 bottle       these two)
     Unred Hair color additive ... 4 drops in winter, 6 drops in summer
Mix the above with 30 Volume clear peroxide.

While this may seem complicated, it truly is not.  If the result is still too brassy, go with the #740 and add more Light drabber and an extra drop or two of Unred.  You will become a pro in no time and all of the products are available online.
    Now, I know its nicer to go and have it done but, if the results are poor, this is worth the effort, will save you a bundle, when the formula is just right, takes very little time to do, and you can do it at your leisure (even at midnight).
    Notice, this is a one step process...not bleaching/stripping involved hence much less hair damage.  The purple/silver shampoos also work.  BTW, I read some time ago that, after coloring your hair, do not shampoo it out but rinse thoroughly, apply a cream rinse, and rinse again.  This allows the color to "set."  Then follow next washing with a very mild shampoo or a purple one.

Thanks! I'm really really tempted to do this, since it saves me £70, but I'm kind of worried since I've never done my own hair before. Is there a chance of it going horribly wrong?
jjrn13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrn13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 3:00pm
I doubt it ... if it takes the red out of my hair, it seems to me it would work on yours.  What you can do is to make a mixture and try it on the underside of your hair.
    You get an applicator bottle (with the pointed tip) to do the entire head, start at the crown, use the tip to separate each row ... about an 1/8 inch or less. I'm sure you've watch your hair dresser do it ... zip, zip zip. one row after the other ... it actually goes fast. You make the row, squeeze across the root line, as you brink the fold over, it distributes the product up enough to cover the exposed roots. When done, pile the hair up and clip if necessary with a plastic clip. I wait about 30/35 mins. Then work through to the ends for the last approx 5 mins (as the ends are porous, they need a very short time to bring the color up. Max. application time is 45 mins (from the time you finish application).
     When you do it, make sure you buy enough for two applications.  If the color is still brassy, you can wait a day of two and do it again ... adjusting the Redout drops and #50 drabber. It may take a few adjustments until its just right for you but, in the mean time, it will tone down the brassiness.
     When I discovered this formula years ago, I was in a VERY bad place. I tried to get it blonde with a wash in boxed color...it turned it into a NEW COPPER PENNY. Man, it was ugly!  The very first application of this mixture did a good job fixing the mess.  The second application finished it off just right and I have never had copper pennies again.
    Good luck and let me know how it works out ... jjrn13@optonline.net
Thank you,
judyann

Edited by jjrn13 - September 17 2008 at 3:05pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilldocked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 4:28pm
Right, thanks so much, I'm going to try this out! So there's no chance of it getting any brassier/darker? How do you think it'll leave the condition of my hair? Right now it's really quite soft, and I don't use any special treatments or anything. It's been stripped twice and foils added 3 times and that's all I've ever had done to my hair in my life! Will I probably have to cut my ends? They're really badly split at the minute to be honest. I've been desperate for a cheaper alternative for so long though, so thanks a lot!
jjrn13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrn13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 4:46pm
I don't know what color it is now so can't tell you if it will be darker. If you want it very light, go with #1030 ... lightest ash blonde.  I can tell you stripping is the most stressful thing you can do to your hair and find it a big relief to not need to strip it any longer.  Due to stripping years ago, my hair broke down to the root area.
     Just use the cream rinse instead of shampoo when its done and rinse very well.  Afterwards, if the ends are split, I would just trim it a bit ... if your hair is longist, its easy enough.  And yes, you will save quite a bit of money.
     I'll be anxious to know how you did so please do let me know.
Thank you,
judyann
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic