Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

yay! .... i finally got rid of my orange!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
slps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: yay! .... i finally got rid of my orange!!!
    Posted: September 19 2008 at 7:38pm
sorry this is so long, but i had to share in case someone else is as upset with their orange hair as i was .... i sure hope these good results aren't temporary!!!! .... (read my 2 previous threads  to see my apparently "all too typical" hair color goofup: orange hair from incomplete lightening)....
    anyway, after reading and reading and reading past posts and other super info on this site, and also after doing what seems like a zillion test strands on my head with different concoctions, i've FINALLY gotten rid of the orange!!!!!
    if you are currently orange, you can see my previous threads to see what my original haircolor was, and what i did wrong ... (by the way, i got all my chemicals from Sally Beauty Supply) ...
    to get rid of it: i used 2/3 parts Wella 050 drabber mixed with 1/3 part Clairol  Second Nature No Lift Corrective Color in 7V medium ash blonde; then mixed this with 1 part Clairol Pure White 20 volume developer plus some "No Red" ......  (therefore, I used 2/3 oz of the Wella, 1/3 oz of the Second Nature and 1 oz of the developer plus 3 or so drops of the NO RED, since i only had about 4 inches of roots to cover); i mixed all this together well ..... i put it on my clean, dry roots trying to keep it off my highlights as best as i could and left it on for 45 minutes ....
    i then RINSED It off (DO NOT WASH with shampoo) .... after RINSING, i used some regular conditioner on my whole head then RINSED it again .... i towel-dried, and let it dry naturally with no heat ..... i plan to avoid washing it for the next 36 to 48 hours, then use a shampoo which is made to not wash out color ..... i'll also try to keep it out of the sun .....
    Right now it looks just like my natural color again: a dark mousy ash blonde!!!! ..... in a few days, i'll do a TEST STRAND with bleach to try to highlight it again (like i was trying to do originally, but allowed the bleach to get dry on my strands before it passed the orange phase) ..... i hope it will work correctly this time, but meanwhile i'm just SOOOOO happy to be MOUSY again instead of orange lol!
    i'll keep posting so i can hopefully help someone else who is desperate ..... my biggest advice that is crucial!!!!!!! ..... do not experiment with more than a tiny strand on your head .... to get a formula which worked for my specific hair color took about 10 tries or so .... if i had done all those tries on my whole root area, my hair would have fallen out (or at least have been awful-looking!) .... instead, i would choose a different 1/3 inch size strand on my head and paint my experimental goop on it and wrap it in foil while it processed ....then i would RINSE the strand at the sink, and assess it .... i also WROTE my formulas because i'm forgetful!! ....
     this sounds so nutty that i did all this, but in retrospect i'm so glad i didn't totally destroy my hair ...
     thanx for all the advice you all gave me, and i'll report on whether i fade back to orange ... i'll also report on my luck with highlighting this mousy color! (only a TEST STRAND at a time this time lol!)

slps
borne.blonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borne.blonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2008 at 9:14pm
ClapYAY. What is the No Red?
I think it is great that you do test strands & I know it is tough doing so many formulas but definately worth it!
slps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2008 at 9:46pm
thanx! ... the no red is some stuff i got at Salllys that you use as an additive to color to get rid of red tones ... i read about it on this forum! .... 
slps
slps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2008 at 9:53pm
oh, and also thanx for your kind comment about the test strands ...... i didn't think they were that important til i screwed up the WHOLE top of my head by NOT doing them lol!!! .....  hey, it's easy to hide one small goofy-looking strand in your hair ... much easier than wearing a HAT all the time cause you  have a crazy  color all over (or fried hair - which i avoided thank goodness!) LOL
      ps: this forum is wonderful .... i've LEARNED SO MUCH from all of you!!
slps
borne.blonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borne.blonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 1:24pm
I found it Ardel Unred Hair Color Drabber (I never paid attention to that box too much lol *whispers it was on sale yippeee....

Edited by borne.blonde - September 21 2008 at 5:58pm
Sophia1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophia1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 9:29pm
Congrats !! We all share in your joy....btw I recently had a hair coloring disaster and used Second Nature. I think it's a great product for color corrections like this- I highly recommend it !    Good for you :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic