Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Castor Oil As Oiling Formula?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Castor Oil As Oiling Formula?
    Posted: September 23 2008 at 8:18am

Back when I was first growing out my hair to its current 6" below my waist length I started "oiling" my hair.  There was no Internet at the time and no HairBoutique.com to guide me so I basically just started with every oil in the house and worked my way through the grocery stores.  It took awhile to get to my current fav - jojoba oil mixed with essential oils.  I used to love the product from Aveda until they stopped selling it and thus came up with Beautiful Hair Oil which I use every week now.

I was in Madison, Wisconsin over the weekend and received more compliments in 2 days about my hair then I do in a year here in Dallas.  One woman told me she swears by castor oil treatments.  Her hair was shoulder length and coarse, like my own hair.

I asked her if she found it too oily and hard to remove.  She said no, she uses a clarifying shampoo to remove it.

Honestly, I just can't get my head around it.  I actually tried castor oil in the beginning and it left my hair oily and slimy for days.  I had to try everything to get it out.  Also, the aroma was not so wonderful.

Has anyone here used castor oil as their oiling product of choice?  If so, do you find it difficult to remove? 

I am still not convinced that it is a great oil for hair but always keep an open mind.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 11:44am
I heard that castor oil was believed to strengthen the hair shaft, but I don't know if this is folklore, or if there's any truth in it (I can't imagine its true since hair is dead).   If you had to try everything to get it out, I won't try it!   
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic