Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Don't ever dye over coconut oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Don't ever dye over coconut oil
    Posted: September 29 2008 at 9:50am
Anyone else do this?  Figure out a solution?

I couldn't sleep, so I decided in the middle of the night to dye my hair blond (using high lift with a blue base and 40 volume, then do some highlift with a violet base to add some white highlights in it). 

Yes, I know, you are supposed to clarify to remove buildup and gunk before you dye it, but I had just washed it a few hours before and I had put some coconut oil in my hair to condition, and I didn't feel like waiting extra days or washing and drying it again, so I dyed over the coconut oil anyway.  Its just coconut, how bad could it be?  I started to worry a little when I put the first bunch of dye in and the area with the coconut oil (from my ears down) started to feel quite warm, and even a little bubbly - but I'm impulsive, and I can also be lazy, and I wasn't worried enough to wash it out and start over.  I've been unhappy with my hair of late anyway.  (Yeah, I know, I get what I deserve). So, when I did the second batch, I just did some small strips, not getting much on the area from the ears down except in a few tiny stripes.

The result is that my hair did go light blonde, but mostly from the ears up. From the ears down its darker blonde (though still lighter than it was) with some light streaks in it.  I can live with that.  I can always touch up the shades later if I decide I don't like how it looks.

My problem is that my hair feels awful!  It feels slimy and sticky at the same time where the coconut oil was.  From the ears up its fine, so I know I didn't melt my hair, but from the ears down I washed it 5 times, after it dried it still felt hard once dry and slippery like it was full of dye. So fearing I didn't get it out and was gonna go half bald in my sleep, I washed it 3 more times (conditioning too of course).  Even now, dry, if I run my hand over it, gunk comes off on my hand and I have to wash it.  Not visible gunk, just a slippery but sticky feeling.

My point, if it ever comes up, don't do it, its a pain in the butt. Not worth all the effort trying to get it out.  Tonight I'll try clarifying and baking soda shampoo and just hope it doesn't screw up the tone of my dye job and make it go too yellow.  And my hair still stinks like hair dye.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
borne.blonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borne.blonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2008 at 2:21pm
ShockedI'm so sorry that happened. I haven't found a cure but was wondering about this article here? http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip1172.htm  If any of these ingredients would help... the dry shampoo or the corn starch *(BUT)* I am waiting to hear what the experts say and offering support hugs..

I did notice that when I spray bleached swatches with vo5, the color looks a bit clumpy or forms little balls when rinsed making me think it didn't penetrate correctly.

oooh what collor did you use too? Sounds like a pretty formula when you get that oil out.

Edited by borne.blonde - September 29 2008 at 2:24pm
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2008 at 2:42pm
Thanks for the support!  That's interesting about the cornstarch - I remember hearing when I was a kid that you could use oatmeal as a dry shampoo, but never could get my head around how oatmeal kernels did anything!  Cornstarch is probably much better. 

I agree with you, it probably prevented the color from penetrating, since my head is a lot more blonde than the length.  Then the dye must have bonded to the oil somehow to form some substance I can't get rid of.  Less of an oil really than a glue it feels like. 

I used clairol high lift stuff, both the blue and the violet, I'm not sure which colors exactly but I remember the numbers started with H for high lift.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 10:24am
Quick note to add that baking soda shampoo did work (and I still clarified afterward to make sure I wouldn't have to wash it again!).  I think my hair did come out a little more strawberry blonde than it was yesterday (meaning maybe some of the orange blocking blue base came off?)  Not sure, guess I will still have to redo some of it.

fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 12:52pm
Susan, I'm sorry you went through this! I must say though, I don't think the coconut oil did anything BAD to your hair. I think it was just the 'feeling' it left on your hair that was bad. From what I hear (and read) coconut oil is one of the few oils that can get right into the hair shaft and add protein. But it is lightweight. Possibly the peroxide mixed with the oil sped up the processing of the colour and also drove the colour in deeper. Vitamin E oil is often added to colour to speed up it's processing, but it also protects proteins in the hair. In fact, a lot of hairdressers are adding oil into their formulas to protect the hair! You're way ahead and you don't even know it!!LOL
Love clip-ins and tape!
_Princess_ View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 2:33pm
wow, sorry to hear that..what kind of dye did you use? I've dyed my hair before with some coconut oil or other oils in my hair and never had that feeling?
Sophia1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophia1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 9:04pm
Thank you so much for letting us know what happened, so sorry you had to go through all that mess.   Yes I know that horrible feeling of dread you get when you look in the mirror and realize you might of made a mistake

I thought about using coconut oil at some point, so now I will be very careful not to use it so close to a dye job. 
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2008 at 8:24am
fakeizme:  Ha ha! I completely agree, it didn't do any permanent damage, it was just a total pain.  I think it acted as a protein filler, like you said, but it prevented the dye from doing as much to my length as it did from the ears up, so the length wound up darker than the rest.  I have since redyed it and got it all how I want it.  I love it!

Princess: 
I used 40 volume developer with Miss Clairol high lift dye with a blue base (still don't remember the exact shade but think it was HL something in the lightest blondes they make).  I wonder why it did that on mine if it didn't on yours....maybe this brand has something in it that caused a chemical reaction.  I think that because not only did that part of my hair start to feel kind of hot, it turned violet right away on the oiled part (usually this dye only turns blue or violet after at least 25 minutes have passed).  It was weird.

Sophia1:  I love oils, they make my hair feel wonderful.  I can now say though that clarifying my hair once after having it oiled was enough to remove it all and keep this from happening.  It worked well the second time I dyed it.

Edited by Susan W - October 01 2008 at 8:25am
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2008 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

fakeizme:  Ha ha! I completely agree, it didn't do any permanent damage, it was just a total pain.  I think it acted as a protein filler, like you said, but it prevented the dye from doing as much to my length as it did from the ears up, so the length wound up darker than the rest.  I have since redyed it and got it all how I want it.  I love it!

Woohoo!!!! Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Everything is a learning experience, eh?LOL
Love clip-ins and tape!
CoconutOilGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoconutOilGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 10:42pm
I agree with fakeizme. Coconut oil could not have done anything bad to your hair. Long before it was discovered to possess remarkable antimicrobial properties, coconut oil was already busy giving countless communities shiny, strong and beautiful hair.

The relatively small molecular weight of coconut oil's fatty acids enable them to penetrate the hair shaft and your scalp for some deep nourishing. These same fat molecules have a high affinity with hair proteins which could explain why coconut oil is so helpful in achieving healthy hair and scalp.

Cheers,
Frederick
www.coconut-oil-central.com
Your Drugstore in a Bottle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borne.blonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2008 at 12:12am
YAY Glad you love your hair now & it is ok, healthy...that was scary.

Good to hear about a quality oil for hair Mr. Coconut.

Maybe you used HLV & HLB...  Thumbs%20Up

What do you refresh with later down the line?

Cheers

Edited by borne.blonde - October 04 2008 at 1:13am
what_project View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote what_project Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2008 at 10:49am
The coconut oil probably got saponified or hydrolyzed... the scientific term I prefer is "slime-ified". Tongue

Question to SusanW: you said you use oils on your hair, any other kinds you can recommend other than coconut? I'm new to that and I'm very curious.

Edited by what_project - October 04 2008 at 10:50am
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 11:49am
borne.blonde:  Yeah, that sounds right, HLB was what I lifted it with.  After that I thought I was happy with it, then I went into the bathroom at work under the fluorescents and was shocked by yellow crayon looking hair!  So I went over it again with 20 volume and another miss clairol shade with a violet base (it wasn't the high lift that time, might have been arctic blonde or something, if I remember right it was level 10).  I'm glad I switched to the 20 volume because I think my hair would have been a lot more fried if I had just gone for white with 40 (always so tempting!).  So, later on I will just use the HLB for the roots, then after a month or two when enough roots are there to look yellow, I'll go over them with something violet (this time probably 20 volume with HLV because I have a bunch of bottles of that in my closet).  I put up some shots of the back of my head if you want to see it (at the bottom): http://www.geocities.com/thespookstress/hair3.html

what project:  It sure was slimified!  I use coconut, or jojoba oil, and sometimes I use an oil/butter mix (jojoba with mango butter, or shea butter. I melt these together on the lowest heat on the stove and they cool to a solid.  Butter mix is great for air travel, less leakage - I have brought this only on some trips instead of conditioner.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borne.blonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 4:29pm
OOH beautiful I love champagne flaxen color. My GOODNESS look how long, healthy & beautiful your hair looks and how it changed quite a bit from June to now!!! Amazing.   I need to go to the bun & oil class. I am so terrible I just twirl it into a bun with a butterfly clip & visor , HEH *the horror* lol.  It's just it displaces the heaviness for playing outside easier.   Embarrassed
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2008 at 11:23am
Thanks so much!  I really am enjoying my hair a lot more now!  Your bun should do it, the trick to getting the ends to curl is just to do your bun with the ends damp and with the ends wrapped tighter around the base of it so they have tighter curls, then leave it up as long as you can.  I sleep with mine in, its still not dry in the morning though so the curls tend to fall out after awhile.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic