Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Home colouring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adelia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adelia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home colouring
    Posted: October 05 2008 at 12:09am
I've been getting my grey roots coloured at a salon, but would like to do this at home now. The colour they use is L'Oreal Majirel as follows:

30 ml 9
10 ml 7
20 vol.

Could someone please tell me which over the counter product would be the equivalent, or close to it?

Thanks,
Adelia
Dakotaddd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakotaddd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 11:43am
Adelia,

Your numbers do not make sense, otherwise I could help you . . . you have measurements there, and what you need is the number or NAME of the individual colors.
Most Stylists won't give that out and if that's what they gave you then they were foolin' with you . . .
Get the names of the colors. . . . it should be something like
7N (level 7 Neutral series) as one of the colors.......

KC
DD
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 2:53pm
The ICC ( International colour code) is the same all over Europe, example

Depths
1 blue black
2 black
3 dark brown
4 medium brown
5 light brown
6 dark blonde
7 medium blonde
8 light blonde
9 very light blonde
10 lightest blonde
11 & 12 are your special hi lift blonde's

Tones are the numbers or letters after the depth,( and these are all different depending on which product you use), ie, 9/01 is very light ash blonde, or 7N is neutral medium blonde.

Most hair stylist will use the numbering system with clients it just a habit, lol.

So Adelia, if your stylist is used a 9 and 7 on you then its a mixture of an 8 which is as you can see light blonde.

The 20 vol you mentioned would be the strength of peroxide used which is used to deposit colour into the hair and give 1 level of lift.

I hope this helps answer both your questions, lol.

Karen.

Edited by karen s - October 05 2008 at 3:00pm
karen sanderson
Adelia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adelia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 11:42pm
Thank you KC and Karen.

The semi permanent colour I use on the ends of my hair is 8G, although that is Goldwell, but it matches my permanent root colour. I have a lot of warm colour in my hair, goldish/reddish. Does this help at all? It doesn't have to be exact, just close.

Do you think L'Oreal Prof. Majirel 8.3 Gold Blonde would be close?

Adelia
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 9:19am
I have worked with Majirel, and there golds are pretty gold, so just be careful. As goldwell and Majirel are different colouring products, there colours will be very similar, so yes to match your roots the 8.3 should be fine, however if your roots are darker, ie any natural grey and dark hair you will need to use 30 vol. to give you some lift whilst depositing  the colour at the same time.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

KarenThumbs%20Up
karen sanderson
Adelia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adelia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 11:08pm
Thanks Karen!

Do you happen to know where I could buy the Majirel 8.3 colour? Is there anywhere online? I live in Australia and don't think they sell it outside of salons, at least I can't find it anywhere. Would 8.3 in another brand be the same colour?

Thanks,
Adelia
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2008 at 9:23am
Have you tried Sally's beauty store on line. You can use another professional brand, but it may be slightly different, but shouldn't be that much. Which brand are you thinking of using?

KarenSmile
karen sanderson
Adelia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adelia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2008 at 11:36pm

Karen, I'm wondering if I could use L'Oreal Preference 8.3 Champagne, permanent colour, instead of the Majirel, which I can't seem to find. Would it be much the same colour?

Are there any semi-permanents that would cover grey, at least most of it?

Thanks,
Adelia
borne.blonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borne.blonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2008 at 12:09am
Some other equivalent include:Embarrassed
Matrix 8W
Redken Color Fusion 8Gr
Schwarzkopf Igora 8-5
Goldwell Topchic 8G
Wella Koleston Perfect 9\3
Paul Mitchell the Color 8G

Goldwell Colorance 8G?

Edited by borne.blonde - October 08 2008 at 12:13am
Adelia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adelia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2008 at 9:36pm
Thanks borne.blonde, I'll look out for those products.

Adelia
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2008 at 11:50am
Hi Adelia,

You need to watch with this one, as most colours are indicated with numbering or lettering ie, 8.3 is a light golden blonde in Majirel, the 8 is light blonde in almost all colouring products, but its the second number ie, 3, that can be a different tone in other companies colouring products. I hope that makes sense.

Borne.blonde has given a great example in her post above.
karen sanderson
Adelia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adelia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2008 at 12:31am

Hi Karen,

Thanks, yes that makes sense.

Does matter which brand of developer I use?

Adelia
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2008 at 9:46am
Hi Adelia,

Of course manufactures would say it is important to use their developers with their colour products, but it does not matter which developer you use, as long as its the correct volume you use.

Karen;)
karen sanderson
Adelia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adelia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 1:53am

Hi Karen,

Thanks for that, you've been a great help.

Adelia

karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 8:57am
My pleasure AdeliaSmile

Edited by karen s - October 21 2008 at 8:57am
karen sanderson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic