Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do I get the "right" blonde? PICS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I get the "right" blonde? PICS
    Posted: October 23 2008 at 4:25pm

First I would like to say hi, I am a newbie but have been lurking for months!

A couple of months ago I decided to go blonde, I am naturally a dark brown (no red) shade.  I have previously colored my hair MANY times, (I have lots of premature grey hair), as well as experimenting with various highlights, all of which were too orange/warm for my skin tone.  I am fairly medium/light complexion and I tend to get a lot of pink in my skin. 

I have gone through 2 processes already starting in late September, with a base lightening to a medium brown and  highlights the first time.  I was a brownish shade with orange highlights throughout.  She didn't tone it too much b/cus she didn't want to kill my hair the first go round. 

2nd visit was yesterday, and she did a base touch up and highlights throughout, plus toning.  I am a lot lighter, some nice cool blonde peices, but mostly still yellow and orange.

I want to acheive a baby blonde/champagne with beige undertones.  I cannot take much warmth because I look like a freak when my face flushes pink and then I have gold hair clashing with it!

So I am wondering, how many more processes do you think i will need and is there any specific toning I should be asking for?  SHould I ask her to do something different with the highlighting?  She knows I want to be on the cooler side and I showed her pics, so do I just have to wait it out?

Here is the color I am after:

And here is the where I am at now:

Okay well I can't seem to post it right now, but I will keep trying and update with the pic

Cry

jender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 4:40pm
Okay, here they are. You can see where some of it is a nice light cool blonde but then it's mixed in with the orangy color especially in the front.

Slipknothartgir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slipknothartgir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 12:25pm
I see why u want that cool color.Don't get me wrong u have pretty hair.Especailly to be through alot of coloring.I have one ques.How often have been u been coloring? Have u been colring alot recently?I ask that because it seems like u haven't really colored it that much recently.If u only did it twice recent.I'd say let the hair stylist try to get it a cool blonde.I don't want your hair to turn a funny or worse color by doing it yourself.Do u think taht same lady will do it? If so, then go for it.Make sure u sue alot of cond. A good leave in kind would be great.Good luck girl!!
jender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 3:42pm
Hi! Thanks for the reply!  The last time I colored my hair was in May, I got tons of highlights, didn't like them (too warm) so got it dyed back to my natural dark brown.  Then in late August I got a touch up (grey).  I went to a new colorist who I had talked to about going blonde, and that's when I started this journey in September.  I don't want to do it myself because I have messed up my hair too many times (died black, stripped, etc.) but that was years ago.  Luckily it seems to always bounce back, I deep condition it twice a week, and always use a leave in.

I was thinking that maybe when she is toning it, she uses a violet or ash toner (when its on my hair it looks white)  Maybe I should ask her to use a blue toner to get rid of the orange?  I'm not sure if that alone would turn the orange to beige?  Some of the lighter pieces are cool blonde, which is good, but this orange is icky.

That first pic is actually me as well, just with a computer generated hairstyle, so you can see the cool color works much better with my actual skintone.

I definitely think I need to get lighter, especially in the front, but if anyone has any advice or suggestions please feel free  Smile
jender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2008 at 12:14am
Okay, after doing a bit of research, I have discovered that my salon uses Wella color products. (All of this after a night spent memorizing Goldwell colors )   

Anyway, is anyone here familiar with Wella's color chart? I tried to look at it online, but I am not sure how to relate it to what I read in the sticky post about Goldwell colors.

I AM going to get it highlighted again, but what should I request for toning in order to get to my desired shade? If it was goldwell, I figured I would ask her for a Pearl based color, since it will probably be a lighter gold shade after the next bleach. But now, that I know they use Wella, I am not too sure about their shades, they seem to have many "cool" blondes but I don't know which ones are blue-violet and not green based.

Any advice?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2008 at 7:20am
Since you are getting this done at a salon, you really don't need to go through the trouble of learning all this stuff, that's what you pay them for.  They should give you what you want if you just tell them exactly what you told us, you want the orange and yellow gone, and you want dark blonde (bring the picture).  You know from your studies that blue based things counter orange, and and violet based things counter yellow.    It looks to me like your hair now is already at the lightness level you wanted, or maybe even a little lighter.  They will know best what products to put over it.  If it were me, I'd be tempted to go for blue based dark blonde dye with a lower volume of developer (10 or 20 max) not toner, as dye is permanent and toner will have to be redone frequently, but the salon is the best one to decide about that (especially if you've had your hair done with bleach), they can test strand and make sure you won't hit the breaking point before they do that.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
jender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2008 at 12:16pm
Thank you! I have the picture and I brought it in the first time, but forgot the second time. I just think she is reluctant to give me cooler shades because she thinks my skin is more warm toned (all stylists seem to) but I know my skin, I've had it for 26 years!

I still think I need to be a bit lighter in front, It seems darker than the back, then I will ask her for a same level blonde dye. (right?)

Thank you so much for your help! Sometimes I just need a little reassurance-that's why I do all the research, I've had too many times where I've not gotten what I wanted!
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2008 at 2:29pm
Stylist can only recommend the colour you should choose, however if you insist that you want a cooler blonde then thats what the stylist should give you. I can see you have warm skin tone, but as you said you've know that for 26 yrs have, lol

I also make recommendations to my clients, but at the end of the day, its their hair, if its achievable goal,then I will do as my client asks.

Good luck and I hope you get the finally result you want:)
karen sanderson
jender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2008 at 10:21pm
Thanks, for the advice! I am thinking I might push my appointment up-I'm not scheduled to go back until the end of November, and I don't think I can wait that long----had a rather frightening experience today, I was in a building that had their heat up way too high, and my face flushed (as usual) really hot pink....I happened to glance in the mirror a bit later, and almost died when I saw how crazy I looked with my bright gold hair glowing next to my hot pink face!

It definitely was not a pleasant experience
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2008 at 3:03pm
Lots of luck jender, let us know how you get onThumbs%20Up

Edited by karen s - October 29 2008 at 3:03pm
karen sanderson
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2008 at 7:12am
I know what you mean!  I love golden blonde on me, but I spend half my life at work under fluorescent lights and golden blonde doesn't always look so nice under those.  I always wind up going over my hair again to tone down the yellow just to avoid looking bad at work! 

I agree with karen, she shouldn't give you anything besides exactly what you ask for just because its not right in her opinion, it is your hair.  I would nicely and politely but firmly insist, and if she won't agree at that point, it might be time to walk out and find a new stylist.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
jender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2008 at 12:22pm
Thank you, sometimes I feel like no one gets it and I am just being crazy. I am waiting on her to call me back so I can try to get in next week, but its been 2 days now and I haven't heard back from her. Called her cell and the salon, so hopefully she's just really busy and not ignoring me! I don't want to be a pain
jender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2008 at 12:38pm
Yay! I got in for Friday!!  I can't wait! I hope this is the last phase of my blonde journey, I just wanna get there already!  She didn't seem too thrilled about me suggesting cooler shades but I will try and plead with her more when I get there.  Wish me luck!  I will definitely post pics after I get it done!
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2008 at 2:09pm
Good luck again jender=]
karen sanderson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic