Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kiki's Hair Journey Journal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Smile4Kiki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smile4Kiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kiki's Hair Journey Journal
    Posted: February 24 2009 at 8:29pm
Hi all!
new

I've decided i will be growing out my pixie cut and am here for support, comments, and to record my progress. 

My Goals
Short Term: restrain myself from getting a trim for the next 6-8 weeks
(i have been cutting my hair every 3-4 weeks)
Long Term goal: Healthy shoulder length hair 
Ultimate Goal: Beautiful Waist length hair

Sometime soon I will be posting pictures of my current length. Stay tuned. Big%20smile

smilinjenn71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 5:49pm
Let me be the first to welcome you Kiki!!Big%20smile  I know where you are because I was there not too long ago myself.  Growing out a pixie cut is especially trying.  Stick with the program of trimming further apart... it really does help!  I used to get mine cut every 3-4 weeks too.  For the past 7 mos I went for a trim/dusting of ends every 8 weeks.  The last time was the end of January and I've decided to hold off as long as possible for another trim.  So, I'm not sure how long I will go this time but my hair is a bit more manageable right now.

Good luck and feel free to look through other journals here.  Several have pics and at least 2 of us had pixie's at one point. (maybe more... can't remember right now...LOL)

Jenn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smile4Kiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2009 at 1:59pm
Thanks for the support Jenn!

Since I have yet to take any pictures, i will tell u a lil bit about my hair history and how i ended up with a pixie a la rihanna. In the past year I've had about every haircut in the book. I started off with BSL and while on vacation to my native Dominican Republic last april chopped it down to a chin length angled bob. I loved it! Soon enough i was a scissor addict. Since then I've had a shag, bob sans fringe and with, layered, earlength, cropped, chopped and everything in between. And then finally one day in january of this year I hair modelled in a very trendy salon. I went in excited to get a free haircut and came out with very little hair. Dont get me wrong. I totally dig it and get compliments left and right for the ballsy do. But i miss my long hair. Terribly. So i figured its now or never. If i get too comfy in my low maintainance, easy to manage pixie I will never ever have the patience to grow it out. Which brings me here.

I'm approaching the four week mark and I'm itching to get a trim. But then I see a girl with waist length hair walk by and think to myself I can get there!!! LOL.. Since my last post my hairs grown almost an inch (Woo Hoo!) and i've been able to try a few different hairstyles in order to distract myself from making a mad dash to the hair salon. I've been playing around with my part and buying hair toys. Recently I was able to flip my hair out allover something i would never have been able to do a month ago. My BF loved it. So while somedays I feel it's going to be impossible i'm actually pretty excited to go through the many hair lengths its gonna take to get to my ultimate goal.

To give ya'll an idea this is pretty much what my hair looks like:
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2009 at 1:25am
Kiki good luck with your hair grow out. This is the right place to be for support.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smile4Kiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 1:16pm
Thanks Mike! Wink

Im feeling pretty good about my hair growth except that i keep having dreams of myself with really long hair and then i wake up and realize i still have a pixie LoL.. can you tell its all i think about?!

I was starting to have some slight mullet action (which my boyfriend jokingly calls my tail) in the back so i trimmed a tiny bit off myself, with his help, yesterday. I feel a thousand times better and can last a while longer before i need to make a hair appointment. The recession also makes it easier not to go to the salon since I'm pretty damn broke. Hehe. teehee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 5:44pm
I totally relate to the mullet action (as you know) and I'm sure you feel as good about your trim as I did mine!!!

It's funny how we dream of our hair sometimes.  I do the same thing at times.... then upon waking, realize it was *just* a dream.~sigh~
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 6:28pm

Good luck Kiki! Before you know it, you will have your hair in a cute little ponytail. Wink I look forward to watching your journey!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smile4Kiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 2:35pm
Hi everyone! Lots of news to share. I've completely given up using heat in my hair. Somewhere along the line I convinced myself that my naturally wavy hair had to be "tamed" to stick straight all the time. The other day I was too lazy to use the blow dryer (not to mention it was 80 degrees) and actually loved the way my hair air dried with just a tiny bit of leave-in conditioner. Its been a week and I have yet to even look at the dryer or flat iron.

As far as routine goes I have been washing my hair every two or three days with Naked Naturals brand shampoo and conditioner which has no sulfates and is much gentler than my old shampoo (garnier fructis). Every couple of weeks, or when I feel my hair needs a moisture boost I do a hot oil treatment before I wash with organic coconut oil. I've also added a multivitamin that contains biotin (which is supposed be great for hair growth) to my diet.

All that being said, I am happy with how quickly my hair has grown. Because my hair had been razor cut previously, the layers were growing out in pretty crazy lengths so I went to the hair salon this morning to even them out. I'm pretty sure I can still officially say I have earlength hair (bye bye pixie!) even after the trim I had today. Since my layers are more even and I haven't been abusing it with a blow dryer and flat iron I'm pretty sure I won't need another trim for quite some time (yay!Big%20smile)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 4:25pm

Awesome KIKI!  Maybe you can post some pics sometime.....whistling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smile4Kiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 11:28am
Haha! You're so right Jenn. I've been so busy with finals I haven't had any time to even think about my hair. I will be posting pics soon, I promise! 
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 8:54am
Looks like you are on the path. Keep it up.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smile4Kiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 12:44pm

Wow! Its been forever huh. I've been meaning to get back on here for quite some time now so I thought what better day to do it than on the one year anniversary of getting my pixie haircut. And I've got pics to celebrate:

Not much has changed since I last posted. I occasionally get a trim about every 3 months or so. It's definitely been difficult dealing with the middle stage I'm in now and I've been wrestling with the idea of getting a big chop. Because of it I've been turning to the blow dryer and flat iron in order to cope (doesn't help that my bf's sister gave me a new set for Xmas).. which means more trims in the long run and I know thats counterintuitive. After my next trim (probably next month) I'm planning on weening myself off the heat tools again for a while. In other news, I'm able to do a small pony now (Wooo!). So while I have my set backs now and then I am well on my way and still growing one year later =D.

P.S. I was thinking in investing in the CreaClip ($36 with shipping). For those of you who have used it or seen the infomercials what do you think? 
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 5:55pm
Looking good. Keep growing.
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 12:19am
Gorgeous. Way to go. Thanks for sharing.
Who has more fun than people?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smile4Kiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2010 at 12:44pm

Thanks Mike and Kramer!

Here's a quick update pic:

Not much has gone on since last post. My hair has been pretty easy to manage since I can put it in a ponytail or mini-bun after washing it and let it airdry that way. This way my hair dries pretty much straight with a nice wave at the bottom and eliminates my need for heating tools almost altogether. I actually haven't had a trim since November and dont feel like I need it especially after I did a henna gloss yesterday (my first one!) with BAQ Henna. It definitely worked for me. I did it more for the conditioning benefits than for the color but there is a subtle color change especially in the sun which I absolutely love (You cant really see it in the pic tho). Overall I've been fairly happy with my progress. I'm only a few months away from shoulder length.. Can't wait!!!

Edited by Smile4Kiki - March 21 2010 at 12:46pm
girl23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girl23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 12:22pm
good luck....ull do great...im in the same boat...i got a bad haircut also...but im hooked on hair cuts....color...highlights....bleach...badddd baddd cycle.....plus its expensive buing all this products to condition and protect hair......and not to mention all the vitamins and crazy shampooos i buy left and right.....im  tired of this cycle....i want healthy hair...soooon
ALWAYS BE TRUE TO URSELF :) NO MATTER WHAT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic