Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BRAZILIAN KERATIN TREATMENT OR BKT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BRAZILIAN KERATIN TREATMENT OR BKT
    Posted: March 05 2009 at 8:25pm

BKT is a much better new way to smooth and straighten hair.  Never again will I do Japanese thermo straightening. 

BKT is a very new process in the U.S.  My hair stylist travels the U.S. bringing BKT to places where it's not available yet.

When I first did Jap. thermo straightening 6 years ago I thought it was great, except my hair was dead straight.  BKT can be done right after Jap. thermo straightening to repair the damage.

Please ask me about BKT before you consider Jap. Thermo straightening.

LV
rainseed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainseed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 1:02pm

Hi LivLuv!

I would love to hear about your results of the bkt.  I am saving up to have this done.  I will most likely be able to do this next month.  I have had a lifetime nightmare with unruley hair.  It's this, but soft, and fuzzy.  I just had a counsoltation yesterday and was told I was a good canadate for the bkt.  I am going to color myself before the treatment. 

How long did your results last, are you still happy with them, can you share photos b/a?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Rainseed

Better hair, no therapy lol
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 12:51pm

Rainseed  Thumbs%20Up

My BKT lasted 2 1/2 months.  I can't afford $350 every 3 months, so I will be doing it at home next week for the first time.  I'll post the details.

There is no such thing as Formaldehyde Free BKT, so don't pay more $$$ for a formaldehyde free product.  It's false advertising, and I'll post an important article about it here if you are interested.

With most BKTs you can't wash your hair for 4 days after treatment.  The BKT I use allows you to wash your hair right away.  Immediately after BKT my hair was poker straight with no body.  After a couple washings my hair was shiny with body, less straight, easy and quick to blow dry. With the Japanese thermo ionic straightening I could never get the ends of my hair to curl under.  With BKT I get more body and my hair easily holds a curl at the ends with a round brush.

Post any questions you may have, and I'll be happy to answer them.
rainseed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainseed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 10:53am
Hi LivLuv,

I'm happy to hear your bkt lasted 2.5 months.  Was there still some benefit in the final third month or did it completely revert by the end of the third month? 

How often do you was your hair.  I read On http://www.naturallycurly.com/ forum by a poster that her hair lasted  months, washing 1 x per week.  

How did your home treatment turn out?  Also, do you or could you share before and after pictures of your first treatment?

Again, thank you for the info.  I will save every last dime for this treatment.  300/ ever three months is alot, but if it gets me out of the house, its worth it:)

Sincerely,

Rainseed
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 1:22am
Hi Rainseed!

I wash my hair about 2-3 times a week, and at 2.5 months I noticed my hair wasn't as shiny and soft as it was when I first did the BKT.  The BKT I use doesn't straighten the hair.  It makes the hair shiny, soft, less frizzy and much easier to blow dry.  Really curly hair probably needs to be straightened before the treatment.  I wouldn't recommend this for thin hair.  I have thick, frizzy, wavy, dyed gray hair, so I'm a perfect candidate for BKT.  Processed and damaged hair gets better results than virgin hair.

I did the BKT myself yesterday!  It took 3 hours and was fairly easy to do. The cost for the product comes to about $25.00 per treatment.  Special tools I needed:  400-450 deg. flat iron, 2 heat gloves on left hand, good brush for straightening and hair dye brush.

I found a BKT called Escova that you don't need a license to buy:

I converted British Pounds to US dollars and ml. to oz.   You get about 16 oz. for $105. Please let me know if you decide to do it yourself.  I have an instruction DVD and know some tricks to get a better result.  

If your hair is super thick, long and curly and you're not good at flat ironing and blow drying hair straight, I would not attempt to do it yourself.  Go to a beauty school and ask a student to do it for $150 at your house.  BKT solution cannot damage hair like bleaching, perming and straightening products.  Sorry I don't have before and after pictures. 

I bought clip in hair extensions from Sallys today.  I always wanted highlights, but I won't lighten and damage my hair.  The carmel extensions look great in my brown hair.  

I'll keep you up to date on how my do-it-yourself BKT is working out.  Hopefully it will last 2.5 months.  At $25.00 per treatment, I can do it every month if I want to!   I know what it's like to be a hermit because of tragically difficult hair.  There are great products now that can fix even the most difficult hair.  It's just a matter of trying things until you find what works for you.

LV

Edited by LivLuv - May 08 2009 at 3:19am
rainseed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainseed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 10:32am
Thanks for the info Liv,

I have thick, frizzy, curly, bleached hair, so it looks like i am a good canidate for the bkt.

Congrats on your home procedure, I'd love to hear how it turns out.

If you get or find any more info or pictures on the net, I would love to see or hear about it.  So, please keep me informed.

Again thank you I found this very encouraging and helpful.

Sincerely,

Rainseed
rainseed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainseed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 2:49pm
LivLuv,

Did you get your instructional video on how to do this treatment at home, online?

If so do you have a link to this?

I may want to learn how to do this as well.  Tell me how it goes:)

Thank you,

Rainseed
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 8:38pm
Rainseed, 

Your hair sounds perfect for BKT.  I washed my hair and blow dried for the second time since the treatment, and my hair feels like silk and looks like the texture of Jennifer Aniston's hair.  You'll love it.  If it's humid where you live you will especially love BKT.

This is the best BKT instruction video on the internet.  I bought the special comb used in the video, but I returned it because I found it was much easier to use my left hand with 2 heat gloves on instead.  The heat gloves came with my flat iron, and I couldn't have tolerated the high heat without the gloves on my left hand. 

I have lots more to post about BKT.  Start with this video and you'll have a good understanding of what's involved.

rainseed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainseed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2009 at 10:17am
LivLuv,

Congrats on your home treatment!  Thank you for the information.

Just a few questions if thats ok?

Is your hair normally curly/frizzy or what is the texture of your hair normally?

Did you use mask and ear protectors?

Did you get everything you needed in one kit or did you have to buy everything individually on the internet?

I am thinking of having this professionally done first, then will save for doing home treatments.  If you have the links to all the materials you bought as well as the flat iron you used and where you got it, You'd be my new best friend :) :)

I'm soooo anxious about this, I so want it to work.  My hair is big, fluffy, frizzy, curly (in front, more wavy in back)  I just hope this works on me.  Also it's processed with box bleach.

Any more information would be great.

Thanks again, your a lifesaver!

Sincerely,

Rainseed
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2009 at 6:59pm
Good questions, Rainseed!

My hair was super thick, frizzy and curly when I was young.  I'm very gray now, and I have lost most of the curl.  My hair is still very thick, wavy, frizzy and long.   

I didn't wear a mask or ear protectors.  I had a mask available, but I just didn't feel I needed it.  I still recommend you wear a mask.  I had a fan going.  The BKT solution fumes didn't bother me at all.  Dye and straight perm solution are much stronger smelling.  Just don't stick your nose in the bottle and take a big wiff like I did! Don't pay more for formaldehyde free BKT, because all BKTs have some form of formaldehyde.  When you get concerned about formaldehyde I'll post some info.

What you get from the BKT companies is:
1. Solution  (some companies sell you 2 products that you mix)
2. Clarifying pre-shampoo
3. Maintenance shampoo and conditioner

You can buy everything in a kit, but I saved money buying seperately.  I only used 1/2 oz. of pre-shampoo, so instead of $78 for 32 oz. of pre-shampoo, I bought 4 oz. for $15.  32 oz. of solution is enough for 10 treatments and costs $262.  Or you can buy 4 oz. of solution and 4 oz. of pre-shampoo for $45.  They will send you a DVD or instructions if you ask them to.  Most shampoo has sodium chloride which will break down the keratin, so buy the maintenance shampoo & conditioner if it's not too pricy to see if you like it.  Millcreek Keratin shampoo & conditioner costs only $5 for 16 oz. on the internet, and I think you can buy it at health food stores. I haven't tried it yet, but Millcreek was rated as a top shampoo & conditioner for BKT.

TS-2 flat iron with heat gloves came free with $40 purchase of lousy Infusion Keratin Replenisher.  The deal is over, but here's the website:  

I wore 2 gloves on my left hand, and cut the ring and pinkie fingers off, so movement was easier.  Here's a picture of the gloves:

"I am thinking of having this professionally done first, then will save for doing home treatments.".........That's exactly what I did, and it's the smart thing to do.  My stylist had two products: Coppola formaldehyde-free BKT and 4-Hair BKT.  She recommended 4-Hair because they both have formaldehyde, and with 4-Hair you are able to wash your hair right away and not wait 3 days.

4-Hair will ask you what your cosmetologist license number is, so if you don't have a license you can either ask a friend to order it or buy another product that doesn't require a license.  I have noticed that more and more BKTs are being sold without a license.  I think that's mainly because you can't damage your hair and because Liquid Keratin at-home BKT is being sold without a license at stores like Ulta. It's ironic that Liquid Keratin is the only BKT I've heard that can damage your hair.

You can't order straight up at this website.  You have to email or call, and they will send a price list.  The Red Label is the stuff: http://www.4hair.org/

"I'm soooo anxious about this, I so want it to work.  My hair is big, fluffy, frizzy, curly (in front, more wavy in back)  I just hope this works on me.  Also it's processed with box bleach."....... Lets find out which product will work best on your hair.  4-Hair might not work as good as others because you can wash your hair right away.  A product made to stay and react in your hair for 3 days might iron out the curls better.  Thicker hair has more product on it and creates more fumes, so make sure your stylist goes over each section at least 10 times and until all the fumes dissipate. It's good to dye your hair right before the BKT, because the BKT will help seal the color in and make it last longer. 

Your stylist should take $100 off the price because it's your first time getting a BKT.  Don't be shy, and ask for a price reduction.  It's a lot easier getting this pricy treatment done knowing that in the future you will be able to do it yourself for under $30, but don't tell your stylist that!

And if after you have the BKT done you find that there is still too much curl in your hair, then you might want to get Japanese thermo-ionic straightening and do the BKT right after.  I have a license, but I leave Jap. Thermoionic straightening, bleaching and perming to the stylists who specialize and have years of experience, because you can really damage the hair.  If you live near Los Angeles or Atlanta I can recommend a good stylist to do the Jap. Thermoionic straightening for about $300.

LV

Edited by LivLuv - May 09 2009 at 7:09pm
rainseed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainseed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2009 at 7:51pm
Thanks LivLuv,

The salon im going to uses Rejuvenol and it has famaldyhide, which im not too worried about.

I just want to beable to wake in the morning to normal hair and not a matted mass doggies butt lol

Do you think I may get these results as you did?  With my type of hair that is?

again I am sounding desparate, sorry just really getting anxious and hope the results are good.

Sincerely,

Rainseed
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2009 at 8:25pm
I think you're going to get better results than me because your hair has been bleached.  The more damaged the hair, the better the results.  That's because the damaged cuticle is open and can drink in more keratin.  That's why they leave the clarifying shampoo on virgin hair, to open the cuticle.

You might want to talk to your stylist about putting deposit-only color in your hair before the BKT.  If you don't like your color, before the BKT would be the time to color, because the BKT seals the color in the hair.

LV
roro0202 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roro0202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 9:10pm
It sound BKT is a better method than other treatments. I have straightened my hair by Japanese straightening, but the result is not my desired. The stylist is inexperienced, but luckily my hair were not be damaged. :)

I'll try the BKT next time!
HomSweetHome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomSweetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 2:28am
how do i find salons near where i live to get BKT done?  Most salons only do TR
rainseed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainseed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 11:07am
I finally got my BKT.  The salon I went to used the Rejuvenol keratin.  It took 3 hours.  My hair is very full and frizzy.  After the 4 day wait period, I washed with the shampoo and conditioner the salon gave me.  My hair felt soft in the shower.  I was not straight after it dried, but very soft.  It was less bulky and looked nice, not the straight I wanted.  So, the big test. Was my styling time going to be cut in half?  Yes it was it straightened in like 15 minutes with the blow dryer and just a few times with a flat iron.  I'm on day 3 of leaving it straight and it still straight and soft.  I have dry hair so I don't need to wash often.

Liv explained that I can go ahead and wash as needed.  So long as I used the recommended shamp/cond that this will fade out in the time it will fade out that waiting to wash wont make the difference, so thats good to know.  Thanks LivLuv:)

I will save now to get the escovaprogress to do this myself in 3 months.  I am learning all I can and judging by Livs success with her home treatment I feel confident I should be able to do mine successfully:)

LivLuv, thank you for getting me through the hard days of waiting.  I'm so glad I had this done.  I can't wait to see how my home treatment turns out, but don't want the months to pass too quickly.  I paid 330 for this treatment and want it to last:)

Sincerely,

Rainseed

HomeSweetHome where do you live?  I just put in Brazilian Keratin treatment and my city and state and started my research.  I also called every salon I could in my area.  I was surprised how many salons are not familiar with the treatment.  Then I found amys salon services and got it done:)

LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by HomSweetHome HomSweetHome wrote:

how do i find salons near where i live to get BKT done?  Most salons only do TR

I did a search like Rainseed said:  Brazilian Keratin Treatment in Las Vegas.  You might have to travel to a big city near you.

Rainseed, I'm so glad the BKT worked for you!

Roro0202, I hope you like the BKT more than Japanese thermal reconditioning. BKT does not damage your hair like TR.

LV

Edited by LivLuv - May 18 2009 at 1:34pm
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 11:44pm
Rainseed,

I wonder, have you noticed losing less hair? Before the BKT I lost lots of hair in my brush and in the drain.  After the BKT I lose only a couple hairs here and there.

Another nice thing about the BKT is using the Shampoo & Conditioner.  I think I must have had an allergy to Sodium Chloride because before the BKT my scalp itched, even the first day of shampooing.  After the BKT my scalp doesn't itch after washing, and I think it must be using shampoo without the Sodium Chloride.

Please keep us up to date on your BKT experience. It's hard to find a place to get the BKT done and there aren't many blogs talking about it.

LV

rainseed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainseed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 12:16am
Yes, I have notice this.  Right after my bkt, my scalp was dry, but after the wash it feels wonderfull and less hair loss so far:)

Rain
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2009 at 8:31pm
Derm Organic 

Most all shampoo contains sodium chloride, a thickening agent.  After BKT you cannot use any product that contains sodium chloride, because it will remove the Keratin from your hair,  ruining your BKT.   I love the shampoo & conditioner that came with my BKT, and it even cured the mild scalp psoriasis I had.  The only drawback was the price, so my stylist kept trying different BKT shampoos but never found one better than the one I love.  Well, she recently discovered a shampoo and conditioner that is so wonderful she advertises the product on her website.  Here's what they're saying about it:

Derm Organic Shampoo & Masque:  What celebrities are talking about Derm Organic natural hair care products? Selma Hayek to Tyra Banks! It is amazing for all hair types and works wonders for thick or coarse hair. The argan oil is loaded with omegas for a one of a kind nourishment and cuticle enhancer that gets the cuticle to lay flat preventing moisture from escaping from the hair! 

Cut drying time by over 35% and prevent damage from chemicals used during the perming, straightening and coloring process. WE LOVE DERM ORGANICS! They are on fire and sure to be the next big
thing in hair care!

Derm Organic Sulfate-Free Conditioning Shampoo with Argan Oil offers a healthy lather that makes other sulfate-free shampoos jealous! Made with mild lipid and amino-acid cleansing creams, it’s so healthy for your hair that you’ll never have to switch shampoos again.

What makes it so good? Because the human hair fiber is made from amino acids, and the hair and skin’s moisture is derived from lipids, our proprietary blend of lipid and amino-acid based cleansers make DermOrganic the only shampoo that moisturizes, strengthens and rebuilds the hair while it cleans!

So gentle, this shampoo is ideal for color treated hair and is superb as an all-over cleanser that leaves skin soft and supple. Great for Afro American hair. Further enriched with Omega-6 and anti-oxidants to protect and preserve the life of hair color.

Features:
  • Made with natural Moroccan Argan Oil
  • Gentle sulfate-free formula ( no sodium chloride )
  • Color-Safe formula
  • Revitalizes damaged hair
  • Restores shine and softness
  • Enriched with omega-6, antioxidants, essential lipids and vitamin E
  • Conditions with vitamins and rice amino acids
  • Luxuriously gentle cleansing for hair and skin

Colored, permed, heat styled or sun drenched, DermOrganic has what it takes to impress your stressed tresses. We’ve also added rice amino acids to help repair, and reinforce; panthenol to rehydrate; and natural moisture factors to further maintain a healthful moisture balance.

DermOrganic is very reasonably priced at 12 oz. for $12.95.
  • LV

Edited by LivLuv - May 23 2009 at 8:42pm
    frizzyNYCgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frizzyNYCgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2009 at 8:58pm

LivLuv, you're a wealth of information.  I have done BKT sporadically about 4 times.  I've used various products, lastly the Rejuvenol Booster with Collagen and it worked fabulously.  The only problem is that I am highly allergic (probably to the formaldahyde).  After about 24 hours, my scalp itches and the product burns my scalp terribly.  Have you used the 4Hair product and does it stay in your hair for more than a month? 

Your description of your hair fits mine, except my hair is still curly--especially at the root.     I am desperate to continue my BKT, but I am afraid for my health.  I am hoping the same day washing will sove my problem.  Please elaborate on your experience, if you can.  I will also try the Derm Organic shampoo you posted.

Thanks all for sharing your experiences.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic