Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Growing out short, layered hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jeni View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Growing out short, layered hair
    Posted: June 09 2003 at 10:18am
I have very thick, frizzy, wavy hair and I usually keep it very short (think Halle Berry's short 'do). Well I am getting married in 14 months so I decided to grow it long because I want to put it up for the wedding - plus I'm getting a little tired of having super short hair (I've had short hair for 7 years).

I have been growing it for 6 months and it has gotten considerably longer...the first week of January I got it cut very short (it was spiky) and now I can fit most of it into a pony tail minus the very front part of my hair which is just slightly too short to fit into the ponytail.

The problem I'm now having is that the bottom of my hair, near the ends, is full of the growing-out layering and it looks HORRIBLE. If I straighten my hair it looks ridiculous because the ends are so choppy and layered. I have been scrunching it to wear it curly to hide the layers, which works, but then my hair is a tangled, ratty mess the next day - and yes I use good quality shampoo and conditioner every single day.

I really want to get the layering cut off the bottom and grow it out from there, but the next longest layer is just slightly past where my skull stops and my neck starts, so basically I'd have a super-short bob. I'm just worried if this will look ok or not, because my hair is so wavy and bushy. I also don't know if I want to take that much off the end of my hair yet - it would look so much shorter than it does now!

Any suggestions?
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 4:17pm
Though I prefer short hair you seem determined to grow your hair out. You sound like you have a major problem. I would suggest getting it trimmed, even slight trims can help the overall look. Then try some different styling products, maybe try to create curl rather than fight against it. The good news is that 14 months will give you about 7 inches of growth.
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 11:33am
And start taking hair vitamins! It should help
it grow out faster.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 11:55am
You're not looking to have long hair for your wedding, just hair long enough to put up. Your hair could be a couple of inches past your chin and satisfy your needs. If you shaved your head today and just let it grow, it would be that long in 14 months. So, you're good.

Find a friend who has grown out short hair and go to her stylist. Talk to the stylist, tell her what your final goal is, and get her advice on what you need to do. She'll cut as little as possible to make you look good now.

Even is she's pricey, it'll be worth it, because you'll know how to manage your hair over the next year. If you feel confident you can do that at a less expensive salon, then you don't have to go to the expensive one again.
buckaroo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckaroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 1:23pm
OOhhh! I have the *exact* same hair!

Only I was stupid enough to cut those bottom layers off (they were looking Florence Henderson/Brady Bunch like). Now I have the super short bob which is right at the jawline (very close to the ear).

It doesn't look *too* horribly bad, but I hate it. And I have no patience for growing it out. And once I grow it out it's just going to look like a rat's nest and I don't want to put any effort into styling it and making it look pretty.

So I just made an appointment to cut it all off again. : )

Too bad we couldn't make like I dream of Jeanie and blink and have long hair.

*siiiiiiigh*
YearoftheTiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YearoftheTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2003 at 12:23am
I also had a short-bed head/pixie style at the begining of the year. I too am trying to grow it out. Try to get the bottom stuff trimmed and eventually the layers will grow out and everything will even up (if that makes sense). That is what I'm trying to do. I am also taking vitamins and they seem to be helping.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic