Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hubby's new hairstyles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Stacey_M1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacey_M1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 5:10pm

Hi all,

I’ve followed some of the threads on here about men (and boys!) wearing feminine hairstyles with a lot of interest since my husband is growing his hair out. It’s just below his shoulders now and we’ve been experimenting with some new styles for him. We live in Seattle, which is a pretty easy-going city when it comes to fashion and hairstyles, but he’s still wary. I’ll give you our story and then ask for some advice.

He’s got gorgeous auburn hair, all one length (though I’m trying to get him to try bangs), and he’s been growing it out for about 18 months. He wears it back in a ponytail about 75% of the time and I’m really really tired of the boring guys’ ponytail look. I’ve gotten him to go to my stylist and she’s starting giving him honey-blonde highlights. She’s also tried a couple of new styles including curling it with a curling iron. He looks FABULOUS in curls. She suggested we try rollers – she said she could do a set at the salon but we might want to try rolling it at home first. So I did him (finally) last Saturday in my hot rollers. OMG he looked soooo cute in rollers and we both loved the result. He’s agreed to start wearing it curled on a regular basis – today I bought him his own set of rollers! He looks darling in one of my headbands & I’m encouraging him to try some different styles, like braids and a high ponytail, and some more accessories like headbands and barrettes, in public.  I’m also hoping he’ll get his bangs cut when we go back to the hairdresser next week.

He enjoys having his hair done and he’s up for exploring some more girly styles – but he has the usual worries about being seen in curlers, how people will react to a guy wearing hair accessories, and so on.

Anyway I’d love to hear from some guys and girls who’ve gone through this process. Is your guy comfortable using rollers? How far are you willing to go in terms of accessories? Have you found any girlish styles that you’re both comfortable with? Do you think people are getting more accepting of guys with long hair in traditionally feminine styles? What’s the reaction from friends / family been like? (My Mom saw him in curls and she said, “God I wish my hair looked like that.”)

Thanks for your feedback!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic