Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need styling Tips for Unfortunate Haircut

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
adee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need styling Tips for Unfortunate Haircut
    Posted: September 03 2009 at 10:13am
Hi all,

I'm new here, and am crusin' to hopefully get some tips and advice on how to deal with this unfortunate new haircut. My naturally thick, wavy, gorgeous mane has been skewered and I need some direction as to where to go from here.

It actually is the culmination of a series of FOUR haircuts in TWO months. I've had great success with the long shag but little success finding one good stylist to see consistently. My hair gets very bulky and heavy every few months, and no one seems to understand what I want when I ask to have the bulk removed, the length left as much as possible, and the shaggy long layers restored to their tousled glory. When I tell a hairdresser I don't even own a blowdryer (why would I when my hair is so gorgeous all on its own?) it's like I have committed a freakish crime. Try as I may to communicate verbally and visually, I never get quite what I want.

The first two hairdressers in this series of haircuts didn't take out enough or really listen to me, then I tried to fix it myself, and then I had to go get my butchery fixed by yet another hairdresser. I know I know, never cut your own hair if you don't really know what you're doing. I was just so overcome with frustration from the first two disappointing cuts, having had pictures and very clear instruction on what I'd wanted, and after shelling out $50+ a pop, I thought I'd be better off taking care of it myself. BOY WAS I WRONG. The last stylist did the best she could to salvage what I had left, but I ended up with what looks like a cross between

and

A good look for some younger, more "scene" types, but not for me. I work in an office as a receptionist, so I can't exactly dye it some crazy color or spike it up with hair wax to make it look like I did it on purpose. And anyway, that really isn't my style. I'm a very natural, feminine type of girl.

On me, this cut looks butch and mullet-like. My natural wave causes the shortest layers in the back - which are above the tops of my ears - to poof. As the layers continue down to the extreme V-shaped length, ending around the bottoms of my shoulderblades, I can't help but feel like a female version of Billy Ray Cyrus circa Achey Breaky Heart. Trying to twist my pitiful little tail into a bun with a spider clip (my usual bad hairday go-to) is awkward at best, as the resulting bun is so itty bitty and the shorter top layers won't go into it at all. A ponytail, even a high one, is similarly strange -- and I don't usually go for the ponytail look anyway....

I'm on my way to stock up on a wardrobe of wide headbands and cute clips, but I'm sure after a week or two of that I will start to feel like a one trick fashion pony and will long for some alternative ways to style this mess while it grows out. That's where I'm hoping some of you fine people can help me out! I'm spoiled by my easy tousle-and-go style and am a complete novice when it comes to styling tools and products. Help me pretty please!
Jojoswr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jojoswr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 3:58pm
Why not go really short then start to grow it out after.
dmorrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmorrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2010 at 4:27pm
I'd have to agree with jojo..  if its layered like the pictures, you might be better off just whacking it all off and starting over. Who knows, you may like it short? Maybe post pictures of your hair?

Edited by dmorrell - January 05 2010 at 4:28pm
adee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2010 at 6:18am
If short hair were an option, I'd have done it. I didn't spend the last 8 years growing my hair from pixie length to cut it short. The question wasn't "How do I cut my hair?" it was "How do I style the haircut I have?". And this was four months ago so it's okay now. Two inches makes a world of difference. Thanks.
JillV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JillV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2010 at 1:34am
Geez,this is a forum,you usually get a variety of different responses.Cutting it a bit shorter so it didn't look like a mullet was not a bad idea at all.
adbsassy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adbsassy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2011 at 9:59pm
I say cut the mullet part a little bit shorter like a longer bob with layers... add some cool streaks to break up the disconnection and def. what I have done is use cut headbands/flower hair pins... if you cut "a little" of the length and you have wave you can scrunch it up as well - a beautiful new color or Hi/lo lites might cheer you up enough to get through the grow out - mine is super short - bleach killed ends... so I do the faux/fake pull back on sides to give it some dimension/height... curl/blow-dry and straighten it too death to come up with different styles - hair clips/pin and headbands can be ultra-shiek now-a-days if you look around/online! Hats as well!
adbsassy1
DoctoredLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoctoredLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 12:37pm
Try extensions! Clip ins are easy to put in on days you want for style, or have an installation done that will last up to 3 months! We have the supplies and tutorials! www.doctoredlocks.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic