Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flaxseed Oil For Hair & Scalp?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HoneySpice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneySpice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flaxseed Oil For Hair & Scalp?
    Posted: August 06 2010 at 10:48pm

I wear my hair in braids.  I have been doing a lot of research about oiling hair as well as use oil for my scalp and my braids. 

There is so much conflicting information about what oils are best.  One person will say olive and the next coconut.

I have been hearinb about flaxseed oil as a health benefit but now some people are talking about using flaxseed oil instead.  I had never heard that before?  Does anyone actually use flaxseed oil for their hair?

Are there benefits to using fish oils on the scalp and hair?  What about Tea Tree Oil, Oil of Oregano, Emu Oil or Cod Liver Oil?

I thought Emu Oil required the death of the Emu to harvest it?  Isn't Tea Tree Oil mainly for dandruff? 

Any suggestions would be so much appreciated.

Edited by Karen Shelton - August 08 2010 at 6:16pm
tomsmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 4:01am
Hello, I am very happy that came after the hope you take care, give me more help and support
050607clh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 050607clh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 3:53am
To ensure the hair supple, must use a good product.
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 1:20pm

Well I have used flaxseed oil for cooking but not in my hair and Emu oil....I’ve never considered. You are right there are a lot of oils out there and everyone has a favourite. The thing is not all oils work the same for everyone, olive oil may work for some and not for others, the same is true with every other oil out there, so the only way you are going to know if the oil works for your hair in particular is to try it out. There are some factors such as consistency, oiliness, heaviness, build up, smell, price and of course how it makes your hair feel that have to be considered. Some people base their opinions on an oil on properties such as these, and here as well opinions may differ, some people don’t mind heavy oils while others may hate them.

I don’t think you have to go as extreme as Emu oil but you can try some of the great oils that are out there.

Start off trying the basics:

Olive oil which is rather cheap and if you don’t like it, you can always use it for cooking. I have used olive oil but I didn’t care for how it made my hair feel and the consistency of it.

Coconut oil (which I use). This oil is preferred by many because it is one of the few oils that can actually penetrate the hair cuticle and be absorbed into the hair.

Argan/Moroccan oil is also favoured by many, this can be a bit more costly, I have tried it as well and I find that is a good oil for hair but very heavy and thick.

I have tried tea tree oil and again this oil was good as well but I preferred the coconut oil for my hair.

Also you can also purchase products such as hair treatments, conditioners, deep conditioners and shampoos that contain some of these oils together. For example I have products that contain argan oil, grapseed oil and tea tree oil together, and I have a conditioner that contains olive oil, almond oil and henna together. I also have a shampoo that contains Omega 3 and 6 and another conditioner that contain avacado oil, honey, coconut oil, and grapseed oil together. I also have a conditioner that contains coconut oil and castor oil. So you can have the benefits of a few oils in one product.

I know that fish oils are said to be very good for the hair and skin and also has the added benefits for being good for your heart and overall health. I think you get the most benefits from fish oil if you ingest them orally instead of topically on your scalp or hair. So you can buy them in pill form.

Edited by Ericachristina - May 28 2012 at 1:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic