Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - LeBron tells GQ he isn’t sure Gilbert ever cared
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LeBron tells GQ he isn’t sure Gilbert ever cared

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_Princess_ View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LeBron tells GQ he isn’t sure Gilbert ever cared
    Posted: August 17 2010 at 9:14pm

By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer 9 hours, 8 minutes ago

MIAMI (AP)—Adding a new layer to the rift between LeBron James(notes) and Dan Gilbert, the NBA’s two-time reigning MVP and new Miami Heat forward has told GQ magazine that he isn’t sure the Cleveland Cavaliers owner “ever cared” about him during their time together.

In an article released Tuesday, James spoke of how widespread criticism of his decision—and how he chose to make it a television event—is fueling him this offseason, plus reiterated how Ohio will always remain his home.

But perhaps his sharpest words were reserved for Gilbert, the owner who lashed out at him shortly after James announced that he would be joining the Heat.

“I don’t think he ever cared about LeBron,” James is quoted as saying. “My mother always told me: ‘You will see the light of people when they hit adversity. You’ll get a good sense of their character.’ Me and my family have seen the character of that man.”

Gilbert did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

James made similar remarks on the night Miami signed him to a six-year contract, doing so while sitting alongside the other two legs of the Heat superstar triangle, Dwyane Wade(notes) and Chris Bosh(notes).

Gilbert was clearly scorned by James’ choice, firing off a now-infamous letter to Cleveland fans describing it all as “a shameful display of selfishness and betrayal.” He called James “narcissistic” and “self-promotional” and vowed the Cavaliers would win a championship before “the self-titled former king.”

Further, in an interview the same night with The Associated Press, Gilbert said he felt James quit on Cleveland during the 2009 and 2010 playoffs. Gilbert was ultimately fined $100,000 by the NBA for what commissioner David Stern said were comments that fell into the category of being “a little extreme.”

In the GQ article, James took exception to the “quitter” tag.

“Every night on the court I give my all, and if I’m not giving 100 percent, I criticize myself,” James said.

He added that he’s looking forward to seeing the Cavaliers as opponents this season.

“I do have motivation,” James told GQ. “A lot of motivation.”

Among other highlights from the article:

— James said he wouldn’t change any part of “The Decision,” the made-for-TV event in Greenwich, Conn. where he announced his playing plans to an audience of about 10 million viewers. The hourlong show made $2.5 million for Boys & Girls Clubs. “When I found out I had an opportunity to do that for those kids, it was a no-brainer,” James said.

— Despite his feuding with Gilbert, James thinks that if he could ever play for the Cavaliers again someday, it would be “a great story.”

— James explained he’s always had an uneasy relationship with Cleveland because he’s from Akron, a half-hour away. “It’s not far, but it is far,” James said. “And Clevelanders, because they were the bigger-city kids when we were growing up, looked down on us. … So we didn’t actually like Cleveland. We hated Cleveland growing up. There’s a lot of people in Cleveland we still hate to this day.”

Edited by _Princess_ - August 17 2010 at 9:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic