Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hair Oil Myths & Facts For Naturally Curly Hair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Oil Myths & Facts For Naturally Curly Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rebacca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Oil Myths & Facts For Naturally Curly Hair
    Posted: December 17 2010 at 6:03am
Hair Oil Myths & Facts For Naturally Curly Hair

Even though hair oiling has been an integral part of hair care routines for generations, there are many myths and misconceptions regarding the use of hair oil.  Especially for curly hair, IMHO, because curly hair cover such a range of textures and types.

Myth: Using hair oil will make the scalp and the curls greasy.

Fact:  While this may be the case for some people, in general, applying oil to the scalp or the hair does not leave it oily.  Generally speaking oils are absorbed quickly into the hair and scalp leaving no greasy residue which can actually occur with some types of hair products.

Of course some oils are heavier than others but some hair oils, like those based in jojoba oil, have the ability to mimic the body’s own natural oil production which allows for quick and easy absorption and penetration into hair.

Myth: I cant use oil if my curly hair is fine.

Fact:
Hair Oil can be used on any hair type or hair length from kinky and curly to fine or thin. Hair oils can be used on all types of hair, all lengths and all types.

Myth: All hair oils are the same

Fact: All hair oils are NOT the same. There many different types of oils such as jojoba, coconut, aloe vera, almond and olive, to name a few, but the extraction process also varies greatly.  The differences in the oils can play a critical role in the oil’s effect and impact on the hair.

Myth: Eating foods with essential fatty acids from fish and nuts will keep hair and skin healthy.

Fact: While it's true that a diet rich in omega 3’s is beneficial to the skin and hair as well (as well as the heart) it's definitely not the most effective way to restore optimal health to the hair. Studies show that ingesting foods that contain omega 3’s and applying them topically will provide added benefits and maximum effect.

Bottom line, adding oil to the scalp and hair can and will have major benefits for many types of curly hair whether it is fine or thick, with waves or tightly curled with kinks and coils.

Feedback please....do you oil your naturally curly or wavy hair?  Do you oil just your hair or do your hair and scalp?  How often and what types of oils do you use?

I personally use a variety of oils that are jojoba based.  I do not oil my scalp but I do apply oil to my ends and the dry parts of my curly hair.  I usually will apply oil as a pre-treatment before I cleanse my hair (I alternate between no-poo and diluted shampoo).

Edited by rebacca - December 17 2010 at 6:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic