Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Hair Won't Take Dye! Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Caryn Anne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caryn Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Hair Won't Take Dye! Help!
    Posted: December 29 2010 at 7:12am
I just dyed my hair auburn last night but as soon as I washed the dye out, it came out black! I left the dye on longer than the recommended 30 minutes because this isn't the first time I've had this problem.
Last year I dyed my hair a slightly reddish colour but it also turned out black. Both times I used a different type of hair colourant, but it doesn't seem to work.

It's getting really frustrating as I've never had this problem before. The first time I dyed my hair was a few years back and it was done at home. The result was fine. The second time was at a salon and it also turned out okay. This problem only started last year and I'm really getting annoyed with it. None of my family members have this problem.

Is it my hair or is it the product? The first time this occurred, I was using Loreal Excellence Creme and the second time (last night) I used Loreal Casting Creme Gloss. What do I do? Is damaged hair the reason for this problem? Or are Loreal products downright bad?

Please help me as I'm planning to dye my hair at a salon in a few months time. I don't want to be disappointed again, especially if I'm to burn a hole in my pocket for it.

Also, I noticed that my hair hasn't grown much since I had it cut shoulder-length 6 months ago. I used to have long hair and I want it back but it just refused to grow longer than two inches below my shoulder. What's causing this? I would really appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on my problem - both with the hair colour and hair growth.

Thanks!
Caryn
suicides_eve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 6:43pm
Try using a color remover to take out color(My experince and pictures with color remover on my black hair  http://www.colorzap.50megs.com/ ) It works best if you can do it asap and not wait like 2 or 3 months.
What is your base color Blonde? Brown? Try using a red or neutral based protein filler found at Sally's before you color again. The instructions are on the bottle.

I've been through this plenty of times

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caryn Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 1:53am
Thanks for your advice though I'm not really sure what you're talking about. lol. I've never used a protein filler before. It's always been store-bought hair dye for my mum and sis so I figured I'd do the same thing. It worked the first time anyway.

I'll do some research and try using a colour remover like you suggested. Thanks again!
Caryn
suicides_eve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 9:30am
some times after dying your hair to much you hair either A) absorbed to much color or B) won't take it. You hair is lacking protein which is removed when using chemical dyes. You need to "put" that protein back on your hair or the same thing will keep happening.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caryn Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 2:52am
Okay, I see... Thanks for explaining that. In that case, I guess I need to use protein fillers then :)

Caryn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic