Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Myrrh Essential Oil For Hand/Foot Massage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
anac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Myrrh Essential Oil For Hand/Foot Massage
    Posted: January 08 2011 at 8:00am
Although I love the scent of myrrh when mixed with other oils for massage I was surprised to find that I did not like Myrrh on its own merits.  I asked an aromatherapist about this and she said most people prefer to use myrrh when blended with other oils because myrrh by itself has some issues which include:

1.  By itself myrrh is so viscous that it can be difficult to use.
2.  If the oil is kept cool the viscosity is at a maximum and it can be difficult to actually smell the oil from the bottle.  This is even more true if  you smell other oils that are more pungent first.
3.  Used completely alone without other oils myrrh does not appeal to a large majority of people.

What oils blend best with myrrh?
It works great as a base note or fixative with oils that have delicate scents are ruined by heavier oils such as Rose, jasmine and even ylang ylang. 

Myrrh is known to help with wound healing and was used during the Crusades on the battlefields.  It was also used by Victorians for treating bleeding gums and mouth ulcers.   When mixed with frankincense it is very good for respiratory complaints. 

Myrrh is also a great substitute for frankincense. 

A great basic blend of frankincense and myrrh is:

2 drops of myrrh and 2 drops of golden apple or sweet orange mixed in an overflowing tablespoon of almond oil.  This makes a great hand and food massage.

It also makes a great aroma for a burner.

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 8:04am
Great recipe...thanks.

I find personally that frankincense and sandalwood are two of my most favorite base notes but when blended properly myrrh is definitely a keeper.

As you mentioned, the key is to mix myrrh with complementary oils that are not lost in the mix.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic