Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lipstick May Contain Lead

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
handbagswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbagswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lipstick May Contain Lead
    Posted: February 14 2011 at 7:46pm
Studies have shown that there may be lead in lipstick.  No matter how small lead is not considered safe in any type of cosmetics.   Even if there's just a tiny bit, if you use your lipstick every day, the lead will eventually build up.  When lead inflitrates your system it can impact your nervous system.

An accumulation of lead in your system can also increase blood pressure, and can eventually cause anemia. It can also cause damage to the kidneys and the brain.

Pregnant women may suffer a miscarriage from lead exposure, and men may experience damage to their sexual organs.

The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics wanted to test lipsticks for lead levels, since small amounts get ingested when you wear them. They collected over 30 different lipsticks from four randing cities including Boston, Hartford near Connecticut, San Franciso and Minneapolis.

Twenty out of the 33 lipsticks contained detectatable amount of lead
ranging from 0.03 to 0.65 parts per million (ppm). Eleven of the lipsticks tested exceeded the 0.1 ppm amount established by the FDA.

They listed the following lipsticks which might contain too much lead:

L'Oreal Colour Riche "True Red" - 0.65 ppm
L'Oreal Colour Riche "Classic Wine" - 0.58 ppm
Cover Girl Incredifull Lipcolor "Maximum Red" - 0.56 ppm
Dior Addict "Positive Red" - 0.21 ppm

Lead is not specifically added but is a byproduct of how lipstick is manufactured. 

This doesn't mean you can't wear lipstick.  What it means is that you need to do your research before you buy.  Look for lipsticks that are labeled that they do not contain lead.

Edited by handbagswell - February 15 2011 at 10:03pm
aniel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 1:48pm
"Lead builds up in the body over time and lead-containing lipstick applied several times a day, every day, can add up to significant exposure levels. The latest studies show there is no safe level of lead exposure."

Here's a list of the lipsticks that were found to have unsafe lead levels (i.e., higher than the 0.1ppm that the FDA says is safe for candy):

• Maybelline NY Moisture Extreme Scarlet Simmer (0.11)
  • Cover Girl Incredifull Lipcolor Maximum Red (0.12)
  • Peacekeeper Paint Me Compassionate (0.12)
  • Maybelline NY Moisture Extreme Midnight Red (0.18)
  • Maybelline NY Moisture Extreme Cocoa Plum (0.19)
  • Dior Addict Positive Red (0.21)
  • Cover Girl Continuous Color Cherry Brandy (0.28)
  • LʹOreal Colour Riche True Red (0.50)
  • Cover Girl Incredifull Lipcolor Maximum Red (0.56)
  • LʹOreal Colour Riche Classic Wine (0.58)
  • LʹOreal Colour Riche True Red 0.65
thanks

free software download

download software

free download

Edited by aniel - May 28 2011 at 3:07am
Eva S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eva S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 3:17pm
This is scary! I'm glad none of my lipsticks are on this list. I wonder why only certain colors contain lead? Thanks for sharing!
manzisofia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manzisofia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 4:44am
Several major brands of lipstick contain dangerous level of cancer causing lead which can be detected with a gold ring. After doing a test on lipsticks, it was found that the Y.S.L. lipstick contained the most amount of lead.

Edited by manzisofia - May 12 2011 at 4:44am
Lajoie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lajoie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 2:17am
such toxic things are present in things we use everyday like shampoo, creams etc!

kevin_dp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin_dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 12:42am
Lead is a neurotoxin causing learning, language and behavioural problems. Exposure to lead also develops infertility and miscarriage. Pregnant women and young children are particularly vulnerable to lead exposure. Therefor one should be careful while using products which contains lead.
monicawebb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monicawebb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 4:47pm
I'm really scared! I use Maybelline NY Moisture Extreme Midnight Red :(
karengriffin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karengriffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2011 at 11:22pm
It is a given that there is lead in lipsticks! Do not use them! Try Amway or jane iredale cosmetics for lead-free lipsticks! 
rainlovemmlove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainlovemmlove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:09pm
Wow its been awhile sorry for being gone for like 8 months.
but this year i have been extremly busy and now i finally got time for gaming agian..
for the rest of the year atleast. its Vicodin. lol remember me minty? how you been?
do i have to re apply and ect? let me know man thanks..  good to be back on the site. i missed you guys!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic