Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Make-Up Masterclass by Jemma Kidd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sun159159 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sun159159 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Make-Up Masterclass by Jemma Kidd
    Posted: June 15 2011 at 2:46pm
I recently found this book in the local Half Price Books called "Make-Up Masterclass" (It was $12 but originally it was listed as $24.99, St. Martin's Press), by makeup maven Jemma Kidd. 

It's very interesting and divulges cosmetics secrets and skin-care regimens for a variety of ages.   In fact, the tips work for teens to 60s.

Kidd is an international makeup artist and product designer.  She offers a "beauty bible of professional techniques" featuring tons of color photos and step-by-step guides.

Kidd starts off with the basics, discussing complexion problems and their solutions, as well as sun-safety tips. She also offers her expertise for all skin types, from porcelain to dark olive and deeper tones.

For each of these groups, Kidd offers instructions on achieving daytime looks and after-work ones, as well as regimen ideas and tips.

Other highlights include how-tos on creating flawless eyes, base, cheeks, lips and nails. What tools do you need? How do you contour and shape brows?

It's all in her book including tips on creating Smoky Eyes (see below from the book)
How To Create Smoky Eyes

The book provides a step-by-step guide to smoky eyes:

"Sultry and super-sexy, smoky eyes is one of the most popular evening looks and the one I am most often asked how to do," Kidd writes. "Depending on your mood, you can tone it down for a more wearable, sophisticated version, or max out the kohl to make it more edgy and rock-chick.

"Don't feel limited to a palette of charcoal and gray. Chocolate browns, deep berry colors, midnight blues, metallic gun metal and silver can all work extremely well."

1. Prep the eyelids with a neutral base of foundation or concealer set with a light dusting of translucent powder. Starting at the outer corner of the upper lash line, push the tip of a black eyeliner pencil between the roots of the lashes.

2. Work all the way along the upper lash line, building up color intensity between and around the lashes. This gives depth of color and makes the lashes look thicker.

3. Using a small, pointed natural-hair brush, blend dark gray eyeshadow along the upper lash line, smudging the pencil and blending it all together.

4. Using a synthetic brush, apply silvery gray cream eyeshadow above the eyeliner, blending it up to the socket crease. This creates a creamy base for the powder eyeshadow to adhere to and intensifies the effect.

5. Using a natural-hair brush, blend a little more dark gray powder eyeshadow over the lower part of the lid, blending it from the lash line upward and outward, and blurring the colors together.

6. Apply black eyeliner pencil all the way around the inside of the upper lid and along the edge of the lower lid at the roots of the lashes. Finish with lashings of mascara to define the eyes.

Has anyone else here bought or used this book?  Would love to hear what you think.
Kirbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 8:45pm
I will try to this tips to have that smoky eye effect and I hope I can do it with out having my hands shaky.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic