Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should I cut it again or let it grow?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bolero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bolero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I cut it again or let it grow?
    Posted: November 01 2011 at 1:23pm
Hello, I'm a new member here! Smile
So... let me get started.
I got my hair cut back in August in a shaggy kind-of-bob. Previously I had a straight shoulder length bob without any layers, which I loved but got bored of styling. So I went to my lovely hairstylist without anything particular in mind and she started improvising. I ended up from a one-length bob to the other extent, an incredibly shaggy bob. While the first month I loved how it looked when it was styled with hairspray and had lots of volume, I quickly got bored of it again. I tried to style it everyday only with my blowdryer, however my hair was so thin because of the layers, that it wouldn't stay. The ends flipped out and the hairstyle reminded me more of a boy's long hair, rather than a stylish short haircut on a girl. At least when I styled the one length bob, the hair stayed in place and I didn't feel like I had styled it in vain. Plus, it looked nicer.
So I decided to grow it out a few weeks after I got that haircut. I was so disappointed that i decided to take hair vitamins to help the process and I said to myself "This time you won't cut it, you'll grow it out, no matter what."
3 months later, still taking my vitamins, I still don't know what to do. The hair is now shoulder length, however it still seems very thinned out. I can put it in ponytails, buns even make some updos if I want to, however to me it seems that the bulk of the hair is in the crown area, while the lower portion of the scalp has only some long strands of hair. I used to have shorter bobs before, but my hair was full and looked healthy, now it looks as if there isn't any hair left.
So I'm thinking, even if I continued growing it out, the hair still wouldn't be one lentgh. the longest layers would be incredibly thin, while the bulk would still be on the shorter layers. The true length would practically be that of the shorter layers.

Since I want to grow out my hair long and full, do you think the best decision would be to cut it once again but this time try to make it one length, or be patient for a few more months and pray it looks better?
Also, if you think I shoudl cut it, can you show me some photos? I will show you the haircuts that I'm thinking of doing, but I want your opinion first.

Here is what my hair looks like now. It seems normal in this photo, but that's just because I had just blowdried it. A few hours later, it returned to its original flippy glory.Tongue The longest layers separate from the shortest and it becomes a mess.Tongue

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/253/photo00017.jpg/

What haircut do you think would suit my characteristics and hair type the best? Smile I have thin hair that tends to go flat, but there is a lot of it.

Edited by bolero - November 01 2011 at 3:53pm
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2011 at 8:34pm
I would say that if you're having this much trouble growing it out, embrace a short haircut because I think you would look great with short hair.  How about something like this

I think this would be awesome

or this

maybe this?

Remember, don't think about all the hair on the floor; think about how good the hair left on your head looks.  Have fun with and please let us know what you decide.
HAWG
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 5:32am
I agree with HAWG, when I saw your pic I thought she needs to get a short cut.  I would think shorter on the sides and back and add some bangs. Would say a long pixie or short layered bob
bolero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bolero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 11:27am
Thank you for your recommendations! Although I do have a short cut in mind for several months now, I'm afraid to go for it, because I don't think it will suit my character... I am not very feminine in the way I dress, I'm more of a chilled out university student, so I feel that if I cut it all short, I will lose all my femininity. And there will be the pain of growing it out all over again...
So I'm more inclined towards a bob, but not with short layers, because my hair is already incredibly thin from the previous haicut I had.
lovebobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovebobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 11:32am
Why not go for a really short bob, all one length about lip length.
After getting the bob you can begin the one length grow out?
I think you have the features and hair that will allow for a SHORT bob.
Long with BLUNT bangs or ALL cut to lip length, I cant decide my favorite!
lovebobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovebobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 11:36am
Starting top left, picture #13 would be perfect on you!

http://hairxstatic.com/styles/classic.php?index=1
Long with BLUNT bangs or ALL cut to lip length, I cant decide my favorite!
bolero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bolero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 12:16pm
Alright, I decided to put some more pictures so that you can see me with long and with short hair. Which length do you prefer on me? Should I keep it short or continue with the process of growing it out?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/dsc1374i.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/256/1002783c.jpg/

Lovebobs: Yes, that's what I've been thinking, a short bob! However, the one you showed me is a little bit too conservative for my taste, but thank you for your recommendation! :) I was thinking more of a short bob, but with an asymmetry to it maybe... something like this.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/laurenbosworth0119103.jpg/

what do you think? do you have any other recommendations?
bnbivi00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnbivi00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 2:01pm
What about something like this?

Or even this:

And last one.....
Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained
Bananapantss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bananapantss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 4:34pm
I think you would look really good with it cut like the first picture Hawg posted, but with side bangs still instead of what she has
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 5:24pm
orangenoise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangenoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 6:28pm
Definitely go short.  I like the 1st one HAWG posted as well as the 1st one binbivi00 posted.  Both would look great on you. 
bolero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bolero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2011 at 10:27am
Alright, I've decided to go a bit shorter, like Jessica Stroup:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_tZsC-z9oqyE/SwHVuelBF2I/AAAAAAAAAU4/42xoNS-oEpo/s1600/jessica-stroup-puma-african-bazaar-11.jpg

This haircut doesn't look like it has layers, which is perfect for my requirements. However, since you all seem to think that I would look good in short hair, I might try that later if I get bored of the short bob. But for the time being, I think this is perfect for me! I hope it looks good on me!
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2011 at 12:33pm
Good luck, all of us would love to see the after pic
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2011 at 8:33pm
Awesome decision. Please let us know how it works out for you.
HAWG
orangenoise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangenoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2011 at 6:53pm
Any resluts yet?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic