Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dominique McElligott

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dominique McElligott
    Posted: January 04 2012 at 7:23pm
I know, I know.  Most of you are saying, "Who the hell is this?" She's an Irish actress who portrays Lily Bell on AMC's "Hell on Wheels."  Recently, she cut all that long blonde hair into a bob.  Don't know why.  It looks good but she looked awesome with it long.

Before:

and after

HAWG
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 5:10am
DMB61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMB61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 5:16am
I agree with HAWG, she looks ok with the bob. She looks far better with long hair then short. I think it was a HUGE MISTAKE to have cut her hair. I don't know what she was thinking, but it was wrong.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 5:24am
Wow what a transformation.  Even though I prefer longer hair, she looks really great with her new blunt cut.

It's funny, I was chatting with Janine Jarman yesterday on the phone - she was the fan favorite hairstylist on Shear Genius 3 and has a hot salon in West Hollywood (Hairroin) and works on Carmen Electra and Nicole Scherzinger & Robin Antin...etc.,  tons of celebs.

She told me a lot of people are coming into the salon asking for short blunt cuts.  I was a little surprised, but she said the other hot trend are shorter haircuts with uneven chunks or sections.   So maybe a long section on one side and then short everywhere else. 

She said a lot of people with long hair are cutting it (sorry Kramer) and that people are just going with clip-in extensions or fusion if they want to get their length back in a hurry.  She said expect a lot of celebs to go short and blunt in 2012. 

OK.  I guess we shall see.  She also said a lot of people are coming in and wanting pixie cuts or Emma Watson lengths.

Although Ombre and Bayliage is still popular she said people are starting to go back to one basic color with lots of richness throughout the base and just maybe some subtle highlights or lowlights but not the obvious lines like you get with Ombre or Bayliage.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 9:13am
The bob is OK (ooo, insightful JF!  Tell us more!).  Dominique is a very attractive woman that it would be difficult to "ugly up" as it were.  But it's bland, and doesn't have the personality or fall as flatteringly as the longer hair.

And Karen, thanks for depressing me.  I was worried enough when the Jennifer Aniston shoulder length blunt cut was proclaimed the new "gotta have" cut since it seemed to be a non-length (i.e., not long, not a bob, what most women - other than local news anchors - would consider a transitional stage).  However, the return of the bob is worse.

I don't care what the stylists say, it simply isn't a universally flattering cut.  Cameron Diaz has just painfully made my point on that, as it requires the right face shape and hair type to really pull it off.  Jennifer's cut was a more generically flattering length for everyone...and I say "was" because Jennifer has already grown it out.  Heck, even the Rachel was better. 

I cringe on the makeover shows when the "fabulous" new look is a straight, semi-blunt cut, between chin and shoulder bob that the stylist and client just rave over.  I simply don't get how they can be so enraptured with an "after" that looks like a "before".

And lastly, I don't get how stylist proclaim the hot new style is that of a celebrity who no longer wears that style themselves.  The angled bob is big...and Katie Holmes and Victoria Beckham abandoned it years ago.  Now, Emma Watson's pixie is the rage...and SHE is well on her way to growing it out.

Sigh.  Enough of my ranting.  I guess I just don't understand how - or possibly just can't believe - scads of women are flocking to salons for bland short blunt cuts without the prompting or guidance of the stylists.  And I don't get why they would prompt or guide them that way.

As Curlyfan may say, be it short or long, at least pick something that has some STYLE to it.  I mean, it's called a "hairstyle" and not a "hair<insert word that is the opposite of style, but means worn due to a lemming-like adherence to an arbitrary pronouncement of fashionableness despite its generally unflattering nature>".

Off my soapbox now because the altitude is making me dizzy.

As usual,
JF
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

She said a lot of people with long hair are cutting it (sorry Kramer) and that people are just going with clip-in extensions or fusion if they want to get their length back in a hurry.  She said expect a lot of celebs to go short and blunt in 2012. 
Karen, you can't apologize for all stylists. All they have to do is say "no!"  Maybe it's time for me to take another vacation from this site.  News like this is killin' me!  Ouch
Who has more fun than people?
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 11:12pm
Great. Just great. The short look is back. Yuck.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic