Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tape In VS Clip-In...HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BlondeFox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondeFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tape In VS Clip-In...HELP!
    Posted: March 09 2012 at 12:10pm
Hey y'all, I've been wearing clip ins for YEARS after a "weave" ruined my fine hair, then I was told how much better microlink extensions were and I'd have little to no damage from them, so I tried them and had A LOT of damage. Now I'm being told I should try tape ins and that they were better for your hair than clips, as you can imagine I'm skeptical. Anyone have experience with tape in extensions? What kind of damage can REALLY be expected? I really want to try them, but IDK if I can deal with another disaster!
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2012 at 4:50am
Hi Blondefox!
I too have had a lot of damage from microlinks. It was one of the worst method for my fine hair as well.
I believe it can be done properly though. Just not for me. :-(
Weaving felt totally bulky and uncomfortable for me.

Anyway, I have worn tape for years, and I can tell you that it is one of the gentlest methods out there. I use Supertape or Proflex.
Proflex is better imo. It is the one with the blue liner.
It holds better, supertape by itself doesn't work consistently on my hair. But it *does* for a lot of girls, so I say try it and see it that works on you. Wink

We all have a different body chemistry, and super tape has the reputation
of being much easier to clean. I have found that they're about the same personally.

You can also add a thin layer of LG to your tape, if the tape alone doesn't work.

I now am wearing Liquid Gold installs, it is so comfy and clean, and i love how secure it is.
LG installs aren't damaging at all. They can be a bit messy at first when you're not used to it, but it's a great adhesive.
It is the removal usually that can be damaging, whether with tape or LG installs, and you want to find the right remover that works for you, and use patience. Do not pull your wefts out like crazy.
I use the supersafe adhesive remover, sold on hairdirect. I forget the name of the company that makes it. I like that it's all natural and gentle on your scalp.
But there's honeslty many removers out there that work fine.
Always have a little bit of acetone ready in a spray bottle, in case you have stubborn spots.
Good luck!
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2012 at 4:53am
I re read your post and saw that you did not have weaves, just clip ins. How and where did the damage occur exactly?
Its rare to have damage from clips. Did you have to tease your hair a lot to secure the clips?
SiNfuL GirL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 4:27am
Frenchie1 I think you read it right the first time. She did say in the past she had a weave years ago that damaged her hair. I also have to agree with you Frenchie1 I do micro tubes instead of the beads and even when well maintained and watched like daily lol there can still be damage on my hair. I honestly think its because i have fine hair but a loooooottttt of hair. Plus i bleach so my hair is not strong enough to hold the i tip. I mostly use clip ins now because i like the variety but i like the tape meathod had good luck with proflex. Frenchi1 do you prefer hand tied or machine wefts though. The hand tied weft i have sheds so bad i used a small amount to make a red clip in and just folded it in half then sewed it together then the clip on hair is good but its way to dark blonde for me. Usually when this happens i wash with a purple shampoo and conditioner because it will tone perfect but this hair wont budge in color and i hate to bleach it... So i keep it for dark color experiments lol. 
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 4:47am
Hi SinfulGirl,
I honestly like the versatility of both handtied and machine wefts.
Most of the time, I have 'hybrid' installs, with some handtied and some machine wefts.

I use Bohyme silky straight for my handtied and there is little shedding. Shedding happens usually after months of wear, because i suppose the weft part is getting 'tired'.
That is why I switch to new hair usually, not because it's gone horrible, but because it has lost some of it thickness and length.

Handtied wefts are a must have for me, because my hair is very thin, and I like to place the top row pretty high. So I need the thinness of a handtied weft.
I cut them however I want and seal the ends with Loctite super glue.

Machine are less delicate, easier to play with, no need to seal ends with Super Glue when you want to cut pieces, and i find that because they have a thicker weft part, the installing them with LG for example goes a little faster maybe, because the glue or tape has more 'surface' to stick on, so to speak.
And I like that they're a bit cheaper too.

To prevent shedding, I used two things : Aleene's stop fraying, and Sherrie's weft sealant, that you can get on hairextensions101 store.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 5:08am
I think I will have to try the Aleene's stop fraying and weft sealant. Ya mine will shed right from the beginning quite a bit to like every day after getting ready i have to go through and quick sweep my floor lol. Thanks a lot for the info and super fast response. I place the small pieces usually about 2-4 in wide pretty high as well because my hair is so choppy i hate trying to blend the extensions by cutting them so i just apply higher lol it works. 

Edited by SiNfuL GirL - April 21 2012 at 5:20am
Sinfuliphone.com
A stock iphone is a useless brick, I live to customize!
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 8:28am

I never get shedding at the beginning with bohyme, that totally sucks. Shedding usually occurs after the hair has been worn a while, through several installs. If I see too much shedding, usually it's a sign that an handtied weft end might have started to unravel.

It would happen -rarely though- if I used a poor nail glue to seal the handtied wefts, instead of the Loctite Super Glue, which to me is fool proof.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 10:33am
Im wondering if the reason its shedding so much because maybe the tape isn't being applied wide enough maybe my strips are to thin so its not locking in the hair just a little more. I try to keep the strips super thin so they dont go uneven if that makes any sense. When you do the sides are you applying to pieces together so the tape on each piece is touching eachother or just one piece applied to the hair.
Usually all the back is done in two pieces sandwhiching my hair but my top i tend to just use clip ins because ive had so much damage in the past im trying to get it to grow out even which its doing fine now. So im debating if i want to do tape on the top sides now.
Sinfuliphone.com
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 9:11am
Hey Sinful Girl,
Sounds to me that your problem comes from the weft construction itself, in which case, there isn't a lot you can do, exept maybe add some weft sealant.
One other option you got is to make your own weft, by using Reallyloveit wefting hair method. She uses a method that combines a special tape and some LG.
This way you wouldn't get shedding, and you can do your own seamless wefts too.
Check it out:

Also, since you asked for how I apply my side pieces, here is a link to an old topic of mine that shows everything:

I have been using this method for the past ... 6 years or so I guess, and nothing works better for my top row, on my fine hair.
It's fool proof imo.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 11:36am
Ya I read that thread you had made i was actually having a conversation with another girl on here and i told her about some new really flat pieces to try that were pre ready basically since she was new to all of this. Simple just apply and fold.
When I had asked if you did your front sides doubled i meant like this. After seeing the link for the hair wefting tape I remember following her for a while a few years ago and i lost track along the way of doing tubes and beads. She has come along way with the video. Thanks frenchie your always so full of info. BTW i think i told the girl i was talking to that i wasnt sure you still did the extensions that was or if it was still a good way to do it with the glue ect because that thread was kinda old so I will update the info i told her sorry about that. 

Edited by SiNfuL GirL - April 24 2012 at 11:39am
Sinfuliphone.com
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 5:11am
Sinful G.,
I don't wear my hair doubled like that, because I would have a problem with the top layer of my own hair not blending properly with the weft itself.
For my top layer, I need something as discreet as possible.
What you posted looks like ready to wear seamless, or maybe some wefts that already have a layer or tape added to them.

When I wear tape alone, the layer of my own hair that is supposed to stick to the weft will eventually lift up, showing a weft that is slightly lighter than my own hair, and I get this 'line thing'.
When I wear LG, the layer of my own hair doesn't move, and stay on top of the weft, which ensure a seamless transition of color and covers the handtied weft completely.

Also with tape, I have had problem with the tape showing a little on the top row, you can kinda see it through, even though it's almost transparent.

Then with a 'ready to wear' product like the one you just posted about, or with a Seamless weft -which I think are great products!- you have to be very careful with the type of removers you can use. Anything that will dissolve the tape or polyurethane part will ruin it, well at least if it's a Seamless, where there is no weft, but the polyurethane to give that 'scalp' effect.

But I think Seamless wefts are great. Just not for *my* top row. If you're someone with thicker hair, or don't need to place your weft too high, or you have a dead-on color match, then Seamless wefts can work for you for your top row.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 9:43am
Well then that probably wont work for me seeing how im such a light blonde and everything shows through. Especially since i put my placements so high because parts of my hair are so short.
Ive done the tape on other people double sided and it never showed but there hair was dark so maybe that helps lol. Removing I used http://www.ubuyhairextensions.com.au/index.php?q=node/22 required you need patience it worked pretty good in my opinion unlike acitone leaves the hair dry feeling.
Ok im sold i think ill go ahead and try this way for my top row at least and see how it works out.
Now when i was doing my tubes i would take them out every time i got my roots bleached i know you dont have to but i do anyways because i dont risk missing a spot and having dots in my hair. So every 2 1/2 months i take my extensions completely out. Now with the top rows being done this way being so secure would i need to take them out to bleach? I probably will anyways but your opinion is always helpful lol.

Btw I did not buy the tape remover from that website i traded it with a family member so when time comes to buy one ill be shopping because i try to buy from the US it is so much easier.

Edited by SiNfuL GirL - April 25 2012 at 9:47am
Sinfuliphone.com
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 10:57am
Hi SinfulGirl,
So yeah, go ahead and try this method, it's simple really, and it is the best for my very fine and light hair. Just remember to keep that layer of free flowing on top, and you're good to go.
Take down is very easy, you have got the tape layer underneath that comes out very quickly and just one layer of LG, and it comes out very well too.
I use the Supersafe adhesive remover from hairdirect. Love that stuff.
I would definitely take out your install if you're gonna bleach your hair. You can do highlights with your install in but any on scalp coloring/bleaching, definitely take down your install.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 11:07am
Perfect I will let you know how it goes. Thank you for all your help Frenchie1 your the bomb. 
Sinfuliphone.com
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 9:53am
You're welcome Sinful Girl! Glad I could help!Thumbs%20Up
6excgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6excgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 2:30pm
Hi guys! I have been wearing micro rings for years, and was pretty happy with them. I did not have any damage really. Probably just the usually slight thinning of the bottoms of the hair, which I have found happens with all extensions. (Maybe I am wrong there, that has been my experience)

I am now trying tape (seamless extensions). And I must say, I really love them. My boyfriend puts them in, and we are done in about 45 min. He also used to put in my micro rings, but they did take longer to install.

I used seamless extensions with tape already added to the back, but I doubled by putting a layer of supertape over it, because I heard it holds best. I have some C-22 solvent to remove them again.

So far, I have had them in for 1 month, and am liking time alot. Super comfortable. I am also using the sandwich method and have lost one 1.5 inch wide piece after the first hair wash, but none since then. Maybe we just did not press it hard enough in the install, but they are easy to put back in in about 5 min.

But I will not know about any damage until I take them out again LOL...fingers crossed!

Edited by 6excgurl - May 28 2012 at 2:31pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 2:54am
Do let us know how they work out after you take them out. Also what color is your hair and type? ( thin, thick, dry, etc)
Always love feedback. I have also started using the tape method and love love love it so much more thanks to Frenchi1 for all her help. Have not done a new install yet but am very happy with the method. Still doing micro tubes on clients as well as tape and having fantastic results even with removal.
Sinfuliphone.com
6excgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6excgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 2:06pm
Hi Sinful,
Yes, I will post here when I take them out and let you know. My colors and hair texture are about the same as frenchie1 on her post in the above comment. Thin texture and all kinds of blonde colors from light to caramel. Just wondering if there is a natural oil, or something, that they can also be removed with where one doesnt have to use a glue solvent...l just put a dallop of grapeseed oil on one tape area to see if it would relax the glue...but so far, even doused in oil, they are still holding strong. But I want to wait at least another few weeks before seriously trying to take them off with the c-22 solvent I have here.
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 11:21am
Originally posted by SiNfuL GirL SiNfuL GirL wrote:

Do let us know how they work out after you take them out. Also what color is your hair and type? ( thin, thick, dry, etc)
Always love feedback. I have also started using the tape method and love love love it so much more thanks to Frenchi1 for all her help. Have not done a new install yet but am very happy with the method. Still doing micro tubes on clients as well as tape and having fantastic results even with removal.

So glad to read it's working out for you!!Embarrassed
tasser1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasser1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 6:17pm
I have just started using the tape in extensions, different brands, but wanted to give it a try at making my own from hair wefts that i had bought a while back. I used to glue them in which totally damaged my hair, so  I only do tape in now! Can anyonegive me stepo by step instructions on how to make tape ins at home? I have several types of tape and the liquid gold, tried what I thought would work but it didn't! Really dont want to have to keep buying several packs of already made if I dont have to! PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks so much!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic