Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My basic hair care knowledge!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sparrowhawk1161 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk1161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My basic hair care knowledge!
    Posted: March 15 2012 at 5:45am
OK.  I have always loved long hair on women.  Since I do, I love looking into what makes hair tick.  Because of that, I use basic biology that I learned with my degree to help you understand what works and what doesn't work.

Haircare products are made by companies.  It's their job to make feel you have to buy their product.  If you don't, they make no money.  So, your haircare is based on money.

And, envy.  You will see women who are photogenic, picked because of how photogenic they are, to pose in ways that make a good camera shot to make hair look good, sexy and healthy.  But, in reality, it's all a sham.  These ladies are showing exactly what the product manufactures are telling them.  To sell a product you basically don't need to keep the company in business.  And to make it worse?  If they gain a pound or there hair is not up to snuff... the poor woman is fired.  All, in the name of money.

It works like this.  You have heard the espression, "keep up with the Jone's?"  There are to ways to keep up.  One is to by something better than your neighbor.  Or, if you can't?  Say bad things about your neighbor and make them think they shouldn't have it...like, "cut down that tree.  It's an eye sore."  The neighbor is doesn't hate the tree.  They just don't like you having it...so cut it down.

It's the same with hair.  Your hair is not good enough.  Get better hair... because all the neighbors and your friends will be happy and they will eventually get  it , anyways...

Haircare companies will try to make you buy something that you don't need, creating envy on commercials and magazines with photogenic women telling you to get it.

Money.

So, if that is so?  What is true?  What do you really need?

It takes psychology... the art of making you want something.  Throw that out!

Biochemistry... the art of keeping your hair healthy.

Have you seen any videos on homemade shampoo or homemade remedies for your hair?  These ladies are using time old rememdies and... believe it or not..? Many of them are true.

A ladie would wash their hair with...soap (usually lye soap, pour eggs, and olive oil, or something like it.)  Shampoos were made at home.  Yet, this little article is not on what was used years ago, but the basics and how they still work today.

So.  What actually works and what doesn't with todays products?

You see?  Hair is pourus, with many scales.  Under a microscope, you will see scales like a reptile.  These scales are important for they lock in moisture and oil.

First, if you use very hot water for shampooing, it softens the hair strand and pries open the scales.  Thus, oil and moisture is exposed to the elements and it dries out, causing static.

Hair is dead tissue... no matter how you look at it.  Hair grows in the scalp.  A cell is born and is alive, to be replaced by more cells.  Thus hair grows, but each cell that is replaced by another dies and is held by protein bonds.  So there is no way for hair to get any nurishment unless you add it.  Thus protein (Keratin), Sebum (oil), and water...

Use luke warm water when washing and conditioning hair.  Hotter water will pry open the scales.  That means washing hair in a sink or turning the water to a luke warm position in the shower.  Many women wash their hair seperately from bathing or showering.  Luke warm water will keep prying to a minimum.

Mosture is a strange thing.  There are a lot of moisturizing shampoos and conditioners, but the key ingredient is glycerin.  This magic molecule adheres water molecules to the hair strand.  There in most shampoos and conditioners is glycerin... Funny. Isn't it?

Protein.  Keratin is the protein that makes up hair and nails...nails are just fused hairs together.  (look at your nails and see many hairs cemented together.) You are looking for a Keratin, or Dehydrated Animal Protiein... and do not ask my where it comes from!!  When you are driving and see something in the road... that's as far as you need to know about that substance.  The Oil is Sebum.  It makes hair oily.  And, is what you want to do to get rid of acne..smae substance.  Brush your hair 100 times before you go to bed... you are bringing the sebum down.

These are the things you need to keep your hair healthy.  Wash hair in luke warm water.  Use a gentle shampoo.  All shampoos have detergent in them to undo the sticky bonds of gross out pollution and excess oil.  Any other oils and proteins in shampoos will just wash away... so don't be foioled by expensive shampoos... Haircare product manufactures don't want you to know that.  Luke warm water and mild shampoo.  No all in one products!  It just washes away... most of it.... and does not do a good job!

Conditioner is another story.  You need the proteins and oils to revitalize your hair.  Good conditioners are a must.  Protein and oil will replenish what time, weather and washing take away.

So, remember... hair needs the same stuff it had when it was born... and when it gets longer and older, it needs it even more.  All those chemicals can do is vanish.  So they need to be put back in...

So, there you have it.  What you need.  Hope this helps.
Guys like me notice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic