Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Healthy Eating Ruining Your Diet?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
anilk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anilk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Healthy Eating Ruining Your Diet?
    Posted: March 29 2012 at 8:42pm
Studies have shown that eating at restaurants like Subway, Panera Bread and Jamba Juice can ruin your diet.  Why?  Experts say that people mistakenly think that healthy food has 1/2 the calories than they really do.  They mistakenly believe that healthy food is less fattening, but in many cases that may not be the truth. 

Thinking that we are saving calories by eating healthy we splurge on chips, bread and dessert which means eating a lot more calories than if eating regular foods.  Or we may eat much larger portions.

How to prevent this from happening?  Check the calorie counts on restaurant web sites or menus before splurging.

Do you agree with this study?  Do you have that tendency to splurge when eating so called healthy foods?  How do you prevent yourself from spoiling your diet when eating out?  Please share.

Edited by anilk - March 29 2012 at 8:45pm
stevieb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 4:35pm
Health food isn't diet food
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 4:54pm

I do think that they make us believe that things that we eat out are healthier than they actually are. Sometimes they tell us that something has no saturated fat, and we think wow that is great, but they knowingly fail to disclose the high sugar or salt content. There is this cafe here In Toronto that started selling “real fruit smoothies” and advertising them as consisting of a full serving of fruit. I checked out the menu and saw they contained a lot of sugar. I also found out their whole wheat and so called “healthier” 12 grain bagel has a lot of sugar and quite a surprising amount of salt. You do have to read labels and try to limit yourself where you can. Any little bit helps.

That being said I also believe in not cutting yourself off from all the foods that you love completely. It is hard to stick to a diet when you feel deprived. I think people should try and go out to eat on special occasions or limit eating out to once or twice a month, eating out every day or frequently isn’t a good choice. And when you do treat yourself to a meal out just order what you want, throw counting calories out the window and enjoy. If it isn’t a regular occurrence why not treat yourself every once in a while and have what you like! If you work out and eat healthy on a regular basis doing this shouldn’t be disruptive or detrimental to your diet.

When you make your own meals you know what you are putting in your food and also how your food is being handled in terms of hygiene. You can read labels at the supermarket and make sure you work out and live healthy but I say when you go out every once in a while indulge a little.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic