Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Charlize Theron Shaves her Head

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Native Native wrote:

"CTs career is already somewhat in decline"Her movies this year have earned more than any year in her career, ever, by a fairly large margin. Last year she had critical acclaim in a couple of small movies, including Young Adult. She has never really been a movie star in the sense that, say, Tom Cruise and Will Smith are - almost no women in Hollywood that dostuff other than romcoms are. But her roles in big movies has been on an upswing.Which, actually, is the opposite of a decline.

That's probably true. Or to put it another way, because her career was never THAT big in the first place it's easier to buck the usual trend.
bnbivi00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnbivi00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 1:05pm
Not that big? She is the 5th highest paid actress and has several awards.
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mfl45kfmk/charlize-theron-3/#gallerycontent
Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained
Michael1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by fatmoogas fatmoogas wrote:

"Maybe shaving her head will catapult her career in some way. "

I doubt it. Did it ever catapult anyone's career? Demi's career went down hill (not, I think because of the buzz, but it sure didn't help). Natalie and sigourney simply did it for the movies they were in at the time and I don't think it had any effect one way or the other. Maybe the same with Anne H--and probably CT too. In fact, as is normal in Hollywood (given the emphasis on youthful beauty), CTs career is already somewhat in decline--and this cut will not have much effect one way or the other.

Demi Moore took a step away from acting after GI Jane, because she had three young children at home. Sigourney shaved her head when she was in her 40's. That's a tough time for actresses, since there are far less parts for women over 40. Yet she's worked fairly continuously since then.

If an actress is successful getting a haircut won't help or hurt their career. If she does so for a movie, e.g. Natalie Portman, people may see her in a different light. But that has more to do with the part and her performance. No one is casting Rooney Mara because she cut her hair, but they might because she presented a different look and range of acting that enables people to see her as right for their movie.

If you have short hair and they want you to have long hair, they'll give you a wig or extensions. That's what they do in nearly every Keira Knightley period piece movie. Look at the Avengers. If I remember my comics right, the Black Widow had long hair and Maria Hill had short hair. In the movie, it was the other way around.
Rayman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rayman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2012 at 9:25am
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2012 at 11:06am
    Call me unsurprised, Rayman. If Judith were in a stage play, performing every night, as did Judith Light, shaving would be a must. But to buzz it off for a one-time shot is ridiculous, IMO. Jane Seymour's career and artistry didn't suffer a bit when she wore a bald cap in a Nazi concentration camp film.
    I can't blame Charlize for being anxious to grow her hair out. Those locks were really impressive!
makeitshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makeitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2012 at 3:30pm
Ridiculous, Bob???  Really???  The article says she was happy to do it for the film.  Maybe she doesn't want the hassle of putting on a bald cap every day.  Whatever the reason, she is fine with it.  Jeez...
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2012 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by makeitshort makeitshort wrote:

Ridiculous, Bob???  Really???  The article says she was happy to do it for the film.  Maybe she doesn't want the hassle of putting on a bald cap every day.  Whatever the reason, she is fine with it.  Jeez...

The woman has practically gone into hiding since she went bald. To me, this isn't the mark of a woman "happy" with her decision. I think it's the expectation of actors today that one must take on every possible physical characteristic of the subject to relate. As I stated, Jane Seymour kept her hair, and she was wonderful in the role. I think it's silly to worry about a little ridicule that a few elitist snobs in the arts might hurl her way. What's done is done, and I wish her well. She seems like a truly nice person.
Native View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Native Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2012 at 4:44pm
"

The woman has practically gone into hiding since she went bald. To me, this isn't the mark of a woman "happy" with her decision."

She hasn't. I mean, there were photos of her almost daily before she went to Africa to film. Which is where she is now.

Secondly, that story sources the National Enquirer, which is pretty much the definition of an unreliable source.

Now given her hattedness, I suspect she doesn't like it, but this is all ridiculous amounts of hyperbole. I suppose you hate it when actresses grow their hair out for roles, don't you Bob?
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2012 at 5:35pm
   "I suppose you hate it when actresses grow their hair out for roles, don't you Bob?"

Yes, yes, with a passion!!!

Edited by Bob S - August 13 2012 at 5:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic