Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

help - new to wavy hair! need advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kallard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kallard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help - new to wavy hair! need advice
    Posted: June 16 2012 at 9:44am
I am 45 years old and my hair has changed quite a bit in the last 10 years. I grew up with fine, straight hair (think Marcia from Brady Bunch).

My hair now has natural wave on top and a little more defined curl (but frizzy) underneath - but I have been treating it as if it were still straight and have not made any effort to work with the wave until the last two weeks.

I have blow-dried my hair EVERYDAY for most of my life, so couldn't figure out why my hair was getting more and more frizzy, even with blow-drying. I do bleach some sections of my hair in the front or on top, but it didn't seem to coincide with where the frizz is (under and ends). I often put velcro rollers in my hair after blow-drying to give it volume and smooth it out. This helps all but the ends.

My hair is also longer than it has been since I was about 9 years old. It is past my shoulders, a little longer in the back. I am so frustrated with the frizz and undefined curls I am tempted to cut off - even though I have dreamed about long hair for a very long time.

I have not used a blow-dryer for the last 2 weeks. The wave shows up more, but not very defined and still frizzy. I bought some Ion shampoo for curly hair. Not impressed particularly. I use Aussie 3-minute miracle conditioner. Have not found a styling product that I like. Tried Catwalk Curlesque, and some other cremes and scrunch spreays, but just makes it stiff. I want soft, beachy-type waves without frizz.

HELP!!!
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 11:10pm

There are some good serums or creams out there for frizzy hair, my sister just bought a cream by John Freida for eliminating frizz and she really likes it. You can try light oil based serums, I use the CHI silk infusion that seems to work for me, it just smoothes down my hair after flat ironing makes it a bit frizzy and adds some shine. If your hair reacts well to oils you can try some argan oil or coconut out to help smooth down some of the frizz. You can also try a better moisturizing deep conditioner, I use the Aussie three minute miracle from time to time but it isn’t the best deep conditioner, you may have to try something of better quality. There is also the Dove Nourishing Oil care shampoo and conditioner line which is supposed to use light weight oils to eliminate frizz, it says it eliminates up to 80% of frizz.

You could also use a light leave in conditioner to help hold your waves after you get out of the shower, this is how I hold my naturally curly hair and keep it from getting frizzy. I like the Mixed Chicks leave in conditioner but there are other ones on the market you can try. Apply as much as you need and if your hair is a bit crunchy or hard you can scrunch your hair to get rid of the stiffness and you end up with soft hair that holds the curl or wave. If you do not know what the scrunching method is for curly/wavy hair check out youtube there are some videos on there. Leave in conditioner is great because it is good for your hair and you do not have to use any gels, hair sprays or mousse with alcohol.

If you do want to use some gel to help hold the curl without having it frizz up the ECO Style gel is a great option because it is made with good ingredients like olive oil and they have another made with agran oil. If it makes your hair hard use the scrunching method again to scrunch out the hardness and you are good to go.

jemhillsgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jemhillsgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 8:21am
I need this information as well.. Thanks for Sharing Ericachristina ..
http://tanyasimage.com/
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by jemhillsgirl jemhillsgirl wrote:

I need this information as well.. Thanks for Sharing Ericachristina ..
You are very welcome I hope something works our for you.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic