Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grow or cut?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Millie1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millie1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grow or cut?
    Posted: September 06 2012 at 10:43am
Hi,

I have posted here before and been given some good advice, so thought I would try again! About 14 months ago I had my hair cut from long to short. I kept it short for a while, in various styles, and a few months ago I started growing it as I decided I wanted a bob. It is now in that awkward phase where it doesn't look very good, and I'm tempted to cut it again, but at the same time I feel like now I have got this far I may as well keep going. What I want to know is what people think suits me best, or what cut would suit me best if it isn't one I have had, and opinions on what to do. Below are pictures of my hair in various styles.

Long with side fringe - have had various long styles, with and without fringes, and all lengths.

Midlength - I think this was a growing out bob style but I can't really remember!

First short cut

Second short cut, a bit shorter

Shorter short cuts

Current pictures

So, thoughts? Grow it to a bob? Grow it to another style? Go shorter again, and if so what sort of style? Lately I have been finding it a bit irritating as I said, but a couple of people have said they prefer it because it is softer and that I look prettier, so I am thoroughly confused really! Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions!

X posted to General because I would like the opinion of people who prefer longer hair as well and I don't know if they read this forum.

Millie
Bananapantss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bananapantss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 11:02am
I like the shortest ones best personally so I would say keep it really short. Maybe something with a little longer bangs and extra short in the back and in the sides
bnbivi00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnbivi00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 11:21am
So, I look at your photos and love both the shortest pixie and the longest past shoulders. I think both work really well for you. If you go back to pixie again, I would suggest maybe doing some subtle highlights. If you go back long again, I would suggest adding red/auburn in your hair. Maybe all over red.
Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 5:12pm
I posted under the general category, but if you don't read it....stay short!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millie1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 7:14pm
Thanks for the replies. I like the colour suggestions too. Do you not think short and red? I have had highlights before, they looked quite nice, but I tend to want to go darker or redder if I dye my hair. I deliberately posted pictures here where it was my natural colour though. I most often do it very dark brown as it tends to look quite natural because I have dark eyebrows, but a bit more striking. I would love to go really red, but getting your hair dyed at a salon is so expensive and I just can't afford it really, and I wouldn't really want to do something like that at home - that is why I tend to use dark colours, because I can do those myself with a semi permanent colour at home. Bananapants, the back was pretty short in the shortest pixie - my hairline at the back is a little dodgy when my hair is short, so I tended to have the back very short so that it wasn't a problem.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bananapantss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 8:12pm
This one is really short but I've really liked it since I saw it in a previous thread and think it would be worth a try if you like it as well

[IMG]http://talk.hairboutique.com/uploads/20120419_134607_20100826_213336.jpg" />

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bananapantss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 8:13pm
Haven't quite got the whole posting pictures in the thread thing down yet, but hopefully you can copy paste that and see it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millie1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 8:49pm
That is quite cute actually. It isn't really that short - the front is quite long, it is just the back that is really short, but I quite like that. When my hair was shorter my hairdresser used to cut the back with clippers over comb, and then did the hairline with the clippers to get rid of the dodgy back.

Here are a couple more pictures because I realised I didn't post any side views.

This one was one of the medium length pixie cuts, and I guess is a similar idea to that picture you just linked too, except mine wasn't as short at the back and had a shorter fringe.

And then this was the short pixie from the side, but I haven't got any product on it and I have terrible dark rings under my eyes!

Looking at that picture I can really see how much it has grown - it feels like it isn't growing very fast, but when I look at that picture I can see how massively different it was!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bananapantss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 9:26pm
I like the last one quite a bit, except maybe taper the nape shorter and slightly longer side bangs, more like the picture I posted. How did you feel about it that short?
Alex04 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2012 at 4:56am
I think that you are very lucky that all the cuts really suit you from long to short. However after seeing your side profile:

I do think that this will look amazing on you:

Go girl!

Edited by Alex04 - September 07 2012 at 5:00am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millie1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2012 at 8:13am

I actually really liked my hair short - a couple of years ago I would never have dreamed of going that short but when I first went to my regular stylist after the first short cut (someone else did the long to short cut, then I found my current stylist) she asked if I would ever go really short because she thought it would suit me, and I guess that kind of gave me the confidence, and I really liked it. I do like that cut the picture is of. I wish there was a picture from the front too so I could see what the other side is like.

Still open to other suggestions!
bnbivi00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnbivi00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2012 at 10:59am
The attached picture is very close to what you like.
Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bananapantss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2012 at 11:35am
I would say the other side is just all very short like you had it in your picture
lovebobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovebobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2012 at 12:43pm
The picture Alex04 posted... HOLY CRAP!!! That would suit you PERFECTLY, please consider that, especially the buzzed nape part!!! Long hair is blah, especially since you know the short looks so good on ya!
Long with BLUNT bangs or ALL cut to lip length, I cant decide my favorite!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millie1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2012 at 1:16pm
I'm not as keen on that - I don't like it really long at the front like that, the other one was more connected or something? My hair wouldn't be long enough for it anyway. The back of the one that Banana and Alex posted, is it graduated as it goes up or is it all the same length to that bone? Any other suggestions? Do you all prefer pixie cuts with longer fringes to ones that are short all over?
OH2TX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OH2TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2012 at 2:52pm
You are so fortunate that your hair looks great both super short and long.
If you go short, I like the short pixie with a bit longer bang in the front -- similar to what Alex posted. 
What sort of bobs are you thinking about?  Have you thought about a stacked bob?  Maybe something in the middle of being short and long?  Of course, you would need to let your hair grow a bit more.
Alex04 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 4:08am
How about this:

Very cute with your eyes!

Edited by Alex04 - September 08 2012 at 4:10am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millie1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 2:22pm
Thanks everyone. Slight change of plans - I am now going to be a hair model, probably the week after next, so the job of choosing a style is no longer up to me! I'll let you know what happens.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bananapantss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 2:50pm
Nice, good for you
Keep us updated on changes if you can
OH2TX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OH2TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 6:51am
Millie:  That's exciting!  Have you ever done that before?  Will the color be changed, too?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic