Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why do people like long hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sparrowhawk1161 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk1161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do people like long hair?
    Posted: September 27 2012 at 9:03pm
I am not a stylist.  I have no stylist claims to what I am saying.  I am just a guy who like long hair.  In my searching into understanding why I love long hairstyles and long hair in general, I have come up with these thoughts.  These thoughts have nothing to do with stylists and there view points.  It has nothing to do with any influence the media has upon the styles you might think that are attractive.  I am talking about something more basic... more basic that media influence.  This thread might fizzle out or might die... or it might take off.  But with my experience, I come up with these thoughts and they encompass with these areas.

Why has it been that for thousands of years, men and women have covetted long hair?
What does that mean to us in this day and age!
What does it mean in general?

To me this is an important subject.  From commenting on this site, I have found many opinions... If you are interested in the history of hair, it's impact, and what it might mean to you in this day and age, this thread is for you...; for I will get into more detail.

We will look at styles from ancient times and go onward.  And, I must warn you... it might be a little one sidfed since I love long hair.  I will put down long hair as I understand it... so I will be begin...Smile
Guys like me notice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk1161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 9:30pm
One of the best areas of understanding the impact of long hair is in the Bible.  No I am not trying to convert you into Christianity, I am just using it as a reference book into hair styles.

Let's go back to ancient Egypt.  These women knew how to deal with bad hair days.  They never had a bad hair day.  All people, men and women used wigs, basically because of lice.  So when you see these fantstically looking Egyptian women with there perfect hair?

It was a sham... they were shaving there heads and wore these beautiful and cute wigs.  So right from the start hairstyles were a little... subjective to the view point.

Yet, God's chosen people were in the desert and living off of food from God and stuff like that.  The last thing they were thinking of was hairstyles and what that would mean becasue they just wanted to get through the day.

So much for curling irons and hairdryers, and styling products, conditioner and exotic shampoos...  They were still creating babies and all that. I don't think you found a person saying I will not have your child because you don't have the right styling products?  Right?  So styling products TO THIS TIME WERE ALL RELATIVE.

The New Testemant:  Christ himself saw a women called Mary Magdalene... Saint Mary who had the most beautiful head of hair of all... because she used her long hair to wipe Christs feet... which showed humilty...which allowed the poor woman to, not only win the favor of Christ and save her eternal life , but make her a Saint.  And in Christian circles you can not argue with.  She was a great lady.

For the longest time, Saint Paul had talked about a womans crowning glory as the glory of man.  So for over two thousand years, woman woire their hair as long as they could grow it, yet, put it up and covered it because of passages of what St. Paul told them so.  I am not taking sides on this , but it is true.

It wasn't until this century that women became more daring and changed the norm of what long hair and short hair was about.  This was the age of The Bobb.  And shorter hair, and why it happened.

And, that must be explained...Smile

Guys like me notice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk1161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 10:04pm
The Bobb was the impact of war.  So, if you have a bob hairstle you owe it to war.  The second world war.  Men were fighting and women were manning the factories and taking the jobs of what men were doing.  Finally women can do and show what they can keep up with... MEN!

Yet, women's hair was an issue!

How would you like to be working in a bomb factory, hoping to make the war come to an end so your lovely husband can come home and be with you?  What would you do so you could make thjose bombs and parts for the war effort.  IN those surcomstances and seeing all the other women doing the same... you wopuld do the same...

The Bob was born.

It made sure that the girls did not accidently allow their braids or ponytails to fall into the machinery which happened and killed a lot of girls.  So they created the bobbs.

And know, the worst thing that could have ever happened to women's hair styles happened.  It was called:

The Media:

All the hollywood women, including Marylin Monroe, and other stars began to profit with these knew hairstyles.. being paid to flaunt something that might have been important at the time... but went out of control.

The media and magazines and film stars and models all show WHAT YOU SHOULD WEAR... from your hair to your shoes... and by the subliminal nature of advertizing, we have all found out are place in this... even me.  I love a women who has a skinny waste and big "T,"s and all that great stuff... never knowing that can never be accomplished...

Sometimes I believe that a hairstylist will make you believe you need a hairstyle just because she/he can get the money out of you.  Because it's a GREAT INDUSTRY!

Are you sure you are getting the hairstyle that you want or are you relying on those who tell you what to do?  When you see the croud outside, going through motions or are you seeing through what they want you to see, and seeing what is real.

I see this, so I use socialology and pyschology to see a more effective view point.  It is this way, as a biology major and a lowely nursing assistant in psych that shows me how you are a victim... because, even though those poor souls are in dire straights, it doesn't mean I can't see you and what is happening?

So, as far as women and hair styles?  Long always goes... I have never met a guy who NEVER liked long hair... why?  Why is that so?  Throughout the ages, why has long hair always been popular... is it a fad...or CAN IT BE TRUTH?  I would love to go into the psychology of this... because I have so much evidence into this subject.  And what I have learned in psych, social, and biology.

Everyone will refute this... but these facts will remain...

Taking sociology and psychology and biology into account?  LONG HAIR as an attractant, a social acceptance, and general attractant all around is king...Wink

Guys like me notice!
AutumnLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutumnLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2012 at 1:29pm
I can only say why I like long hair.  I like my hair long because it is beautiful.  There is nothing more beautiful than a head full of long healthy, shiny, thick hair.  It is sensual, feels good to the touch.  Well cared for hair smells nice.  Poetry and music are written about long hair.  Where I live there are not many women with hair as long as mine.  Most women around here who say they have long hair only have hair a little past shoulder length.  I guess you could say that very long hair is a special thing. At least IMO.
DMB61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMB61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2012 at 9:36pm
To me if a woman is going to have long hair, it's needs to be well cared for. By well cared for, I mean kept trimmed in great condition. No layering, layering to mean is the worst thing that can be done to long hair.
sandyllama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandyllama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 10:18pm
Personally I think long hair shows a sense of dedication and patience from the woman. Most women have shoulder length hair. Why? Because it's easier to manage and not as involved as long hair. I have hair down to my waist and it can be a handful for me to care for! Sometimes I put off brushing my hair for a day or two out of laziness and then am left with double time commitment to brushing it by the time I get around to brushing.

Nonetheless my boyfriend loves it and I get compliments on it all the time. It does make me stand out from the average woman and makes me feel proud. I have threatened to cut it but end up keeping it.
Dark40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 5:08pm
I can say that I love long hair because it's beautiful and sexy, and it helps you to feel more feminine.
Shannon D. Bax
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic