Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

leave in conditioner even when not blow drying

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leave in conditioner even when not blow drying
    Posted: July 14 2003 at 6:17pm
i still use a leave in conditioner even though i don't blow dry very often. it helps removing any tangles i might have. am i using to much coditioner though? in the shower i use one i rinse out. then after a leave in when i'm out of the shower.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 10:02pm
That's what I do, too, and I rarely use heating implements.

I use a regular conditioner in the shower. Then, I put leave-in conditioner on the bottom ~4 inches of hair. Then two days later, I'll put the leave-in conditioner on the ends of my hair. Then, about two days later, I wash and conditioner it again. I just think of the leave-in conditioner as an extra insurance.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 8:28am
As long as you don't feel like your hair looks greasy or weighed down, it's fine. Extra emollients/lubrication reduces friction between the individual strands, which can prevent breakage. Nothing wrong with a little extra care.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Benji the Sausage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benji the Sausage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 6:41pm
when I was 9 i ALWAYS used leave in conditioner. We have a pool in our back yard and Its chlorinated. My hair was down to my tailbone at one point (had it trimmed up a little while later tho) and I swam EVERY DAY. Id sty in the pool all morning and all night. My normally medium brown hair would become dirty blonde from the chlorine so I had Tresemmes leave i and i just poured that stuff on. Like saturated my hair with it and after a while my hair... ALMOST looked remotely normal again. My hair was really damaged but I managed to load the stuff on without ruining my hair so I'm pretty sure using a normal amount on normal hair would do no harm to it.

I never really understood the concept of overconditioning either. But my hair can take a lot. I dye it used to straighten it daily used to swim in either the ocean or pool everyday and then sit in the sun to make it lighter. And yet everyone still thinks its healthy. Now that the hair I had when I was nine is gone though. That was like straw.

I figure its good on long hair because no matter how good you treat it the very ends will always have at least SOME damage... Just from being there all those years. id think they'd need some extra moisture/protection/whatever else hair needs.

Yeah I really just go by my hair when advising people but my hairs quite. unique in texture.
BSL/Blonde/Chemically Treated (abused)
1b/cMii
I swear by Redken Extreme and Shea Butter.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Benji the Sausage Benji the Sausage wrote:

Id sty in the pool all morning and all night. My normally medium brown hair would become dirty blonde from the chlorine so I had Tresemmes leave i and i just poured that stuff on. Like saturated my hair with it and after a while my hair... ALMOST looked remotely normal again.

Wow! I do know that chlorine is quite damaging to the hair, but if you escaped major damage, you obviously did something right. I had a couple of friends in college who were on the swim team. One had long blonde hair, and although she always wore a cap, her hair was simply straw. The other always wore extremely short hair because the hair was so damaged that it broke off because of the chlorine.

From what I've read and experienced, we need to treat different parts of our hair differently. The hair closest to my scalp is quite oily, and I could never imagine using any kind of conditioner on it! Yet, the ends of my hair are older and although they don't "seem" dry, I'm sure they could use all the moisture they can get.

I heard somewhere (and this makes a lot of sense to me) that we should choose the shampoo for the scalp we have and the conditioner for the ends of our hair.

For example, someone with an oily scalp and short hair probably needs no conditioner at all. Yet, someone with an oily scalp and long hair needs to really cleanse the scalp while not removing any moisture from the ends of the hair.

What has helped me most of all is.....reading, listening to others, and then experimenting and finding out what works best on my hair.

I've been washing my hair relatively infrequently lately, and this morning was my morning to wash. I have to say that long, silky, healthy, freshly-washed hair feels just like silk! Ah, if it could feel this way all the time...

Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2003 at 7:25am
Quote I heard somewhere (and this makes a lot of sense to me) that we should choose the shampoo for the scalp we have and the conditioner for the ends of our hair.

That sounds like our dear Paula :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic