Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

40 vol developer isn't lifting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lakibug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakibug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 40 vol developer isn't lifting
    Posted: January 05 2013 at 12:15am
Hi everyone,
I have been bleaching my hair for over a year now. I have level 4 brown super short hair. I have been using 30 volume developer which lifts my hair to a banana yellow and i tone it to a beautiful white.

A friend of mine told me she uses 40 volume developer and it lifts to a nice white without using a toner.

For the past three months, I have been using a 40 volume developer and it's awful! it lifts my hair to a nasty, brassy orange. It takes me two bleachings to achieve the color I usually get with a 30 volume developer.
I am using the same products, brands and routine as I always do. Nothing has changed.
Has this happened to anyone? Any advice or reasons why this might be happening?   

elumencolor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elumencolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2013 at 10:47am
Ditch the 40 vol developer, I mean since 30 vol works really great there is no reason to amp up the strength of the developer since it'll just be more damaging.

Have you been using the same bleach with the 40 vol as you did with 30 vol developer?
lakibug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakibug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2013 at 1:17pm
Thanks! I definitely will ditch the 40. A week ago, i mixed both developers, 2/3 was 30 vol and my hair came out GREAT!

I'm convinced the manufacturer accidentally put 20 vol in a 40 vol bottle! Lol! I have no other ideas why.

And yes, same bleach.

Thanks again for replying!
:-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic