Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thin damaged hair after weave! Will it get better
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thin damaged hair after weave! Will it get better

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vikstar77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vikstar77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thin damaged hair after weave! Will it get better
    Posted: January 25 2013 at 12:45pm

Somebody please help me! I am caucasian had my weave removed in November just gone. Admittedly, I probaby had way too much hair sewn on to the cornrows (had 4 cornrows with like, 6 strips of hair on each!) and now, my own hair is ruined! Please believe me when I say , this is NOT my imagination just because the extensions are now gone..it is now SO SO thin, that it looks terrible! It is like a baby's hair. It's growing, but it is so thin that you can see my scalp! I can't make a ponytail or a bun out if it and my natural hair before had a lovely ponytail and was medium thickness. Please..has anybody experienced this and will my hair ever get better? Will it ever be not-thin again? I have really bad depression since this happened and won't go anywhere. I only got the weaves initially cos i wanted mega volume. I did wear them for 18 months but I would let them get very baggy inbetween having them re-done. So far, my hair is showing no signs of improvement, and it's been 12 weeks since removal. I don't care if it takes a long time to get better ...i just want to know if anybody else has had this problem and if I have any hope??? PLEASE don't anybody tell me that my hair was this thin before and it's all in my mind..coz it definitely isn't and I would do anything to get my old natural hair back x x x x
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2013 at 7:28pm
I've never had a weave or even braids like cornrows because I have naturally thick hair but I do know the damage that they can cause. Sometimes weaves pull and snag at the hair causing breakage, hair loss or receding hair. I also know that some of the women who do wear weaves have damaged hair from them. This isn't the case for everyone but it does happen.

Since your hair loss is not due to any other factors such as poor nutrition or hormonal issues and you know it is due to this isolated incident then your hair will probably grow back in normally. You won't be able to do anything to get your ponytail to thicken up naturally over night, now that it is damaged the strands you have wont multiply but what you can do is focus on taking care of your hair so it can grow to its optimal length and thickness. Your hair will grow back and the new growth will start growing in thicker, like the hair you had before you got the weave but it is going to take time to undo the damage and regain fullness, it won't happen overnight.

In the meantime do everything you can to take better care of your hair and try not to damage it anymore, meaning try to stay away from chemicals and hair dyes, try not to use heat styling appliances which can damage the hair and cause dryness breakage and thinning. Try to use a sulfate free shampoo that won't strip your hair and make it dry and brittle (anything you can do to retain moisture and prevent further damage and breaking so your hair will grow in healthy). Use hydrating conditioners. You can also do scalp massages with rosemary oil at night to help stimulate the follicles and hair growth, rosemary oil is said to be good for this. Don't be harsh with your hair, no vigorous brushing or combing that will lead to more breakage and hair loss. Use a wide tooth comb to detangle and be gentil. Don't tie your hair back too tightly as this can also cause receding, thinning and breakage. Protect your hair at night by wearing a loose braid and using a satin pillow case to prevent snagging and hair breakage.

Until your hair grows back there are safer methods to having thicker hair. Clip in hair extensions are a great way to get fullness without having to damage your hair. All you do is clip the hair in and then at night all you have to do is unclip them to remove them. These extensions would give you full hair until your own hair begins to grow back to its original state and it may make you feel less depressed about the state of your hair in the meantime.

I know it can be a terrible thing when your hair is damaged but don't worry, the great thing about hair is that it grows back! Instead of focusing on how it looks right now focus on taking care of it and knowing that is is possible for you to have good hair again. focus the negative energy into a mission to start growing healthier hair. A lot of people have done stupid things to their hair whether it be heat damage, over bleaching or a terrible chemical sometimes you just have to start over and learn from your mistakes.

Good luck.

Edited by Ericachristina - January 25 2013 at 7:56pm
Davidwilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 8:12pm
This is quite harsh. I think you can try temporary extensions Which you can remove whenever you want and easy to wear. Because hairs are beauty of a women.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic