Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Using Raw Eggs In DIY Recipes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cidxa15d38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cidxa15d38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using Raw Eggs In DIY Recipes
    Posted: January 19 2013 at 3:07am

Studies have shown that the rate of Salmonella contamination in eggs to only one in 20,000.   But that still leaves more than two million hazardous eggs in circulation
each and every year. More widespread pasteurization has reduced food poisoning linked to eggs.  Eggs sicken an estimated 660,000 people annually and kills 300. "Often, dishes made at restaurants are from pooled eggs," which increases the risk. It's really a matter of statistics. Eat an egg sunny-side up and your risk of Salmonella is one in 10,000. But eat an undercooked omelette made from a mix of 100 eggs, and the risk is significantly higher." How To Avoid Dangerous Eggs When Making Beauty Products At HomeMany DIY hair and beauty products utilize raw eggs in the recipes.  The eggs may eventually be cooked as part of the DIY recipe or they may remain uncooked.Raw eggs have a much higher risk of causing health problems especially if the mixture make contact with the mouth.  Should You Stop Using Raw Eggs In DIY Hair & Beauty Recipes?Is it OK to use raw eggs in DIY hair & beauty recipes?  Yes, if you use caution and follow the tips listed below:1.  At the supermarket always check the egg cartons. 2.  Look for the word "pasteurized".3.  Check the expiration date to make sure it's valid.4.  After you find pasteurized and a valid expiration date, remove each egg and look for cracks.  Germs can enter cracked or chipped eggs after pasteurization.5.  At home ignore the egg keeper on the refrigerator door. Keep the eggs in their carton and stow it in the coldest part of your fridge (usually the back of the lowest shelf). 6.  After you crack an egg open, wash your hands completely.Studies have shown that 60 percent of people failed to wash their hands after handling raw eggs and can become ill when their hands make contact with their mouth.Cook your eggs completely (or, if they're an ingredient in a dish, to 160°F). If you use uncooked eggs in your DIY recipe, make sure you keep your hands completely washed.  To be even safer, you may wish to wear gloves when applying your DIY egg infused recipes to your hair, face or skin.  This makes sure that no egg contaminant residue is left under your fingernails.

What's your take on this issue? Do you use raw eggs in your hair or beauty recipes at home? Do you ever worry about contamination or other health issues? Do you have a better way to protect from egg issues? If so, please share.

Edited by Administrator - January 25 2013 at 2:10pm
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 10:41pm
I have never used the raw egg protein treatment in my hair...I always found the idea of putting raw eggs in my hair disgusting. I also don't think it necessary unless your hair is in need of protein and my conditioners contain enough protein to satisfy my hair's needs.

There is always the option of actually consuming more protein in your diet if you are deficient. You can also buy products that are high in protein and use them more often, or just buy one of those protein treatment packs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic