Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

french braid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
joseph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: french braid
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:40pm
Are there any women that like or encourage a man to wear his hair in a french braid? My hair is 30 Inches long blunt cut all one length straigt across my back. It took me 5 years with trims to get it that way. I had my hair french braided about a year ago by a female hairdresser. I loved it when she was done but felt uncomfortable at the same time. I guess its that macho thing. I think women have that macho thing when men step into the feminine world. At least some do that has been my experience. I need support from women that I am not giving up my manhood, just experiencing a different part of me. It would be nice to hear from women regarding this topic. What about earings on men? I don't have them but have considered that for a long time. I'm still working on the long hair/french braid thing. It seems that women are free to express themselves but men have to suppress. Anyway those are some thoughts.
john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:40pm
French Braids look good on guys if the guy has full makeup, dangly earrings and a dress.> Are there any women that like or encourage> a man to wear his hair in a french braid? My hair> is 30 Inches long blunt cut all one length straigt> across my back. It took me 5 years with trims> to get it that way. I had my hair french braided> about a year ago by a female hairdresser. I loved> it when she was done but felt uncomfortable at> the same time. I guess its that macho thing. I> think women have that macho thing when men step> into the feminine world. At least some do that> has been my experience. I need support from women> that I am not giving up my manhood, just experiencing> a different part of me. It would be nice to hear> from women regarding this topic. What about earings> on men? I don't have them but have considered> that for a long time. I'm still working on the> long hair/french braid thing. It seems that women> are free to express themselves but men have to> suppress. Anyway those are some thoughts.
joseph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:40pm
> French Braids look good on guys if the guy> has full makeup, dangly earrings and a dress.> Pretty curell thing to say. This is the first time since I came on this that I found people to make hurtfull statemtments. This is not about wearing dresses makeup and dangly earrings. Its about people expressing themselves and being who they are. If you can't say something supportive then do not respond. I believe your response is about you not about my statement. If you got it I am angry. You come across as locker room. I grew up with guys like you. Thats where that kind of talk belongs. I thought this site was for people to be supportive of each other not put them down. This is not about masculine femine its about being your own person. The difference between male and female is biological. The rest of it is societal induced. Please don't say anything if you can't be respectfull and supportive of others on this site.
Timbre View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timbre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:40pm
> If the French braid is a little weird to you try something else first, a fishbone, or a hair lace, but I think french braids look great on guys.Timbre~Oh don't worry about the guys that make remarks about your manhood, chances are they have some issues with their own.
joseph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:40pm
>> Timbre~> Oh don't worry about the guys that make remarks> about your manhood, chances are they have some> issues with their own.I appreciate your support. I am 6'0" and weigh 210. I do not come across as femine. I just like those types of hairstyles. I think that people need to be who they are.I never heard of a fishbone hairstyle. Can you say more about that or send a picture and instructions
joseph View Drop Down

>> I appreciate your support. I am 6'0"> and weigh 210. I do not come across as femine.> I just like those types of hairstyles. I think> that people need to be who they are.> I never heard of a fishbone hairstyle. Can> you say more about that or send a picture and> instructionsThanks for the support. I agree that when people take pot shots at someone for being different and having courage. thats about their own issues and not me.
Victor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:40pm
I sometimes wear my hair in a French braid. Here are two pictures of me with a French braid. In one picture, I'm getting my hair braided by my wife who also has a French braid. It's a good picture for comparing the lock on a man vs. on a woman. The other picture was taken a few years later and shows a French braid turning into a 4 strand rope.> Are there any women that like or encourage> a man to wear his hair in a french braid? My hair> is 30 Inches long blunt cut all one length straigt> across my back. It took me 5 years with trims> to get it that way. I had my hair french braided> about a year ago by a female hairdresser. I loved> it when she was done but felt uncomfortable at> the same time. I guess its that macho thing. I> think women have that macho thing when men step> into the feminine world. At least some do that> has been my experience. I need support from women> that I am not giving up my manhood, just experiencing> a different part of me. It would be nice to hear> from women regarding this topic. What about earings> on men? I don't have them but have considered> that for a long time. I'm still working on the> long hair/french braid thing. It seems that women> are free to express themselves but men have to> suppress. Anyway those are some thoughts.Related Link:Men's Long Hair Site
joseph View Drop Down

> I sometimes wear my hair in a French> braid. Here are two pictures of me with a French> braid. In one picture, I'm getting my hair braided> by my wife who also has a French braid. It's a> good picture for comparing the lock on a man vs.> on a woman. The other picture was taken a few> years later and shows a French braid turning into> a 4 strand rope.Victor: It looks great. Thank you for putting your pictures in for all to see. Hopefully it will dispell some of the "macho" men and women for that matter who think that a french braid is "too feminine". I think as in some of the old rock tunes "times they are a changing". Guess I'm dating myself. In any event more men need to be free to wear their hair anyway they want to including myself and not give in to pressure from society about how a man should look. Its great that you have a women in your life that supports your longhair styles.
Diane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:40pm
Hi Joseph,I understand what you are saying about the hair topic but in many ways I am sad that men will start using the french braid on themselves because I always felt that braid was something for me for special occasion and I am very feminine.What I am saying is that there are too many unisex stuffs that really bugs me and I was hoping that there were still some stuffs out there just for women but I see that its getting to the point that is rare. I don't mind seeing men with braid but that french braid was somehting special to me so it bothers me but I am mature and I have to accept that things are getting more and more unisex and less for us.>>
joseph View Drop Down

>> Hi Joseph,> I understand what you are saying about the> hair topic but in many ways I am sad that men> will start using the french braid on themselves> because I always felt that braid was something> for me for special occasion and I am very feminine.>> What I am saying is that there are too many> unisex stuffs that really bugs me and I was hoping> that there were still some stuffs out there just> for women but I see that its getting to the point> that is rare. I don't mind seeing men with braid> but that french braid was somehting special to> me so it bothers me but I am mature and I have> to accept that things are getting more and more> unisex and less for us.I appreciate your honesty.
Victor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:40pm
> I understand what you are saying about the> hair topic but in many ways I am sad that men> will start using the french braid on themselves> because I always felt that braid was something> for me for special occasion and I am very feminine.This is an interesting attitude. I have a couple of comments about it. First, I think the same style can accentuate both femininity and masculinity, depending upon who it's being worn by. The French braid is a good example. On a woman, it accentuates graceful curves. On a man, it accentuates angularity. In a way it's reminiscent of Lieutenant Warf: wear a French braid for that Klingon look.My second comment is about wanting something for yourself. Your comment reminds me of my daughters. I have two daughters age 10 and 11. They are almost identical in size and very close in age, so they share many of the same friends. However, they are also jealous of their friends. Each one wants to have friends exclusive of the other one. This is something I don't entirely understand. What difference does it make if my friend has another good friend as long as my friendship with that person is unthreatened? Perhaps it's a selfish thing. Perhaps it's a female thing. I don't know. Like I said, I haven't figured it out yet. In any case, I think it's related to your desire to distinguish yourself from men.
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:40pm
Hi,First of all Joseph, I am sorry you received a less than considerate response. I am always torn...do I delete the inappropriate responses or leave them? I never know what to do.Secondly, Victor, thank you so much for your photos. They look really great. I would like to post your braid photo in our new men's gallery if I can have your permission.Last, Jeff and I took photos of his hair in a braid on our trip to Sante Fe. We had not had a chance to post the photos because we have so much stuff backlogged that we are trying to post, but we hope to add the braid photos in the next few weeks.I think men look awesome in braided hair. So from my viewpoint I think it looks wonderful. Also, Pierce Brosnan (Mr. James Bond) will be wearing a long braid in his next movie. Yes, it is a hair extension, but the point is that his hair is long and braided. I read an interview where he said he liked the look of his hair that way.So I think everyone should feel free to wear their hair whatever way that they want to.People are always telling me how I should wear my hair. They tell me women over 40 should have short hair or women who are managers like me should have short hair, or short women should have short hair or whatever the garbage is of the week. I just ignore them and wear my hair the way that makes me feel good.I applaud you for wanting to wear your hair creatively.I would love to post photos of any men interested in sending them to me. Long hair, braided hair, any hair that you feel good about is cool with me.Best wishes,Karen>> Victor: It looks great. Thank you for putting> your pictures in for all to see. Hopefully it> will dispell some of the "macho" men> and women for that matter who think that a french> braid is "too feminine". I think as> in some of the old rock tunes "times they> are a changing". Guess I'm dating myself.> In any event more men need to be free to wear> their hair anyway they want to including myself> and not give in to pressure from society about> how a man should look. Its great that you have> a women in your life that supports your longhair> styles.
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Diane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:40pm
Hello Victor,I am flatter if the remark reminds you of your girls but I am 37 years old okay ( laughing).What I finally came to the conclusion its okay if men wear the french braid and when I wear the french braid I usually have a nice ribbon or baby breathe in it so I am totally sure that the french braid is still special to me even thought you and other men want to use it .I use to be a fashion rep and I seen too many things chainging because the need to make more money by selling the idea of unisex which I hate to all pieces. I am off topic by now but my point was only that being French I happen to like wearing the french braid and for one second I felt my space threathened as a female but you not knowing me wouldn't realize it wasn't a serious comment. It was just a comment from the heart as I am very feminine and I fight to keep things very feminine for us long hair women which are becoming rare especially in my area. I wasn't attacking anyone but I do find your comment about reminding you of your girls. Victor your girls are females and its a female thing and I am not selfish forwanting female stuffs . I am now teasing you but your comments to me. I do not think the french braid on a man would make him feminine as you said we have curves and you guys don't etc. ( teasing and laughing)
joseph View Drop Down

> Hi Joseph,> I totally agree with you that it is not necessary> for anyone to be rude or hurtful on this board.> If someone does not agree and would like to politely> post their comments, they are welcome.> Jeff and I want everyone to feel comfortable> to post any thoughts about hair or hair related> topics or requests to meet people or establish> a pen pal relationship.> If it makes you feel any better, I get lots> of private email about my hair that is not very> polite. In fact, downright rude and mean. At least> it is not public postings. I don't understand> why people feel the need to do that, but I guess> because they are doing it anonymously in a lot> of cases, they feel that can be that way.> Jeff and I totally are into the "freedom> of hair wear" for everyone. So thank you> for all your posts.> My apologies again.> Karenkaren: Thank you for your support. I see this french braid thing has gotten a lot of responses and support. Freedom of hair. I guess I never thought of it that way. There are "macho" men and "macho" women. What I mean women also think in rigid terms when it comes to the way men and women are "suppose" to wear their hair. I'm glad to see there are folks out there who are open minded and not judgemental. By the way Victor's hair looks great so does his wife's. French braid team work yeh thats where its at.
Victor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
> Secondly, Victor, thank you so much for your> photos. They look really great. I would like to> post your braid photo in our new men's gallery> if I can have your permission.You may use either http://the-light.com/Victor/4strand2.jpg or http://the-light.com/Victor/4strand.jpg (or both). However, don't use the one with my ex-wife.Incidentally, I have been in touch with a man named Chris. I mentioned him before on ETLHS. He will be an upcoming feature on my Samson page. What's unique about him is that he has male pattern baldness, yet he also has grey hair down to his waist. Very impressive.Related Link:Men's Long Hair Site
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:40pm
Thanks Victor.I appreciate this. I am looking forward to Chris. Sounds like he has great hair.Karen>> You may use either http://the-light.com/Victor/4strand2.jpg> or http://the-light.com/Victor/4strand.jpg (or> both). However, don't use the one with my ex-wife.>> Incidentally, I have been in touch with a> man named Chris. I mentioned him before on ETLHS.> He will be an upcoming feature on my Samson page.> What's unique about him is that he has male pattern> baldness, yet he also has grey hair down to his> waist. Very impressive.
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:41pm
>> karen: Thank you for your support. I see> this french braid thing has gotten a lot of responses> and support. Freedom of hair. I guess I never> thought of it that way. There are "macho"> men and "macho" women. What I mean women> also think in rigid terms when it comes to the> way men and women are "suppose" to wear> their hair. I'm glad to see there are folks out> there who are open minded and not judgemental.> By the way Victor's hair looks great so does his> wife's. French braid team work yeh thats where> its at. Joseph,I used to wear my hair in a French braid fairly often when it was long. At first, I went through the same sorts of anxieties you've experienced. Support is mixed, as it would be with nearly anything. Most people really don't care how total strangers wear their hair. I love the French braid style, and make it a point to encourage men who want to wear their hair that way to do so. I also make it a point to compliment women I see with nicely braided hair. I have yet to get a negative response. So, keep braiding your hair; there are plenty of people who like it, and most importantly, you like it.- Scott
stuffy623 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuffy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2021 at 5:43am
Awesome French braid!
gjh
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic