Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What should I get done next time to keep my look?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What should I get done next time to keep my look?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mapper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What should I get done next time to keep my look?
    Posted: April 25 2013 at 5:11pm
Okay so after a couple of tries to tone down the intense auburn I colored my hair (which didn't look anything like the box by the way!)I caved in and went to a stylist. She did a full head of copper highlights and I am very happy with the results. My hair now looks MUCH more natural.

I would like to continue to lighten my hair and get it to a coppery blond (kind of like Amy Adams). So the next time I go in to see her (probably in about 8 weeks time) what should I have done? Should I have her color it or do more highlights or what? If I have her do highlights should I have her do some kind of blond to mix with the copper? There will be new regrowth which will need to be touched up, but will that ruin the highlights?
blackkitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackkitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 9:01pm
It sounds like if you are an auburn, which I am guessing is more on the darker side, and then you have copper highlights, meaning something like this?

If you are wanting it to be a coppery blonde, then you would have to lighten it. Speaking on experience, I have gone the same route as you once upon a time. It seems as though you are a level 5-6 but more than likely, a 6. But a copper blonde is more than likely a level 8 to 9. (8 is medium reddish blonde and 9 is light reddish blonde). So she would have to lighten it about three levels, more than likely she wouldn't have to bleach it, but she would have to use a developer in adequate strength. But it all depends on the condition of your hair in eight weeks.

Make sure you are deep conditioning it once a week and keeping it healthy, and all should be good. There will definitely be new regrowth in the eight weeks span that will have to be attended to. Depending on what your natural color is (it's not mentioned) will be on what has to be done. Are you lighter or darker than the color you went with? If you are lighter, no bleaching will be necessary, and she might not even need to lighten it. If it's the opposite, she will have to lighten it to get it to the level of color you are going for.

Hope this helps.

Mapper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 3:45pm
That picture is fairly close to what I am, but the highlights are not nearly as noticeable as they are in the picture. My hair is much more subtle.

My natural hair color is a dark blonde/light brown (with several grays in there now as well!). I emailed my stylist and asked what would need to be done next time and she said to just keep doing foils and she wouldn't need to color the regrowth. But isn't that going to look really funky when I'll have dark blondish growth and then more copper highlights put it along with my dark auburn color? I realize that the highlights might mask it a bit but surely not enough!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackkitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 12:58am
Well she can definitely position the slices of the foils closer to your scalp, and can add in more of the color for the foils at the new regrowth so it won't be as noticable. There is also something else I saw on a youtube vid yesterday. It was called Redken Chromatics clear base breaker. It is basically something that helps you lighten your hair without the damaging effects of bleach. It's definitely something worth looking into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jisxzI9k8iU

How often do you go to see her? I know the recommended time is 6-8 weeks, but that also depends on the length and the condition of your hair upon coloring it that would rest solely on that.

I used to be a ginger reddish blonde, and my ideal was to be something like this girl here:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HoncyC0Yl7k/Ty7EAFEDPeI/AAAAAAAAA_A/g_W48Gy5HR8/s1600/Deborah-Ann-Woll-11.jpg

Usually to do that if you were your natural color, it would just take some bleaching out and placing the reddish blonde color on top of it. But since you are already red, she can lighten it with a stronger developer and go from there.
Mapper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 12:09pm
Yeah the link you have there is pretty much what I'd like to achieve, but slightly darker. This is what I'd like. http://primped2.hcdn1.net/images/uploads/the_daily_gloss/oct_10/celebs/104832013_copy.jpg

I'll go see her again in about 8 weeks time. How long is it going to take to achieve this color by doing copper foils and nothing else? Do you think adding some blonde or caramel foils in there as well would speed up the process? The thing is, I want it to look as natural as possible and not stripey. I'm afraid if I start throwing other colored foils in there that it may look unnatural.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackkitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 3:07pm
Oh ok, it's like the picture I showed, but maybe a level darker. It's basically a level 8 reddish blonde. So anyhow, if you deter too far away from the hair color with other colored foils, it won't look as natural. Basically with highlights, you want to make them as thin/skinny as possible, and only put them where the sunlight would naturally hit. You don't want too many of them, just a few would do. I think maybe one to two more processes is all it's really going to take. If you are already at the auburn level, if she lightens it with the foils one to two more times, using a stronger percentage developer, I think it will take you to the level of reddish blonde that you are wanting. Just make sure when you go to see her that you tell her that you want it reddish blonde. When I went red, I always did my hair color mixing in parts. I did two parts of the reddish blonde, but I also added in one part of golden blonde, just to take it a little bit lighter. ;) My hair would end up looking something like this:

http://d277vln4jzkhhg.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/Met-Ball-2011-Blake-Lively.jpg
Mapper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 9:04am
I like that color a lot! So when I go in are you saying I should just stick to the copper foils to achieve that and avoid asking for any blond or caramel highlights mixed in? If I tell her I want my final end result to be coppery blond then she'd just have to amp up the copper developer?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic