Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How To Clean Hairspray Residue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dirtyBathroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtyBathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How To Clean Hairspray Residue
    Posted: June 22 2013 at 11:28am
My girlfriend moved into my house a few years ago. She uses this hairspray (big red sexy - something or other) on a daily basis - sometimes multiple times a day. I appreciate the attention to detail, but the hairspray is destroying my house.

The hairspray leaves a gritty residue all over everything it touches, which is the entire downstairs bathroom. The door knob, walls, floors, toilet seat, etc. are covered with a visible, sticky, gritty residue.

She cleans the bathroom, but not nearly enough - maybe once a month. Directly after a cleaning, everything is fine. But after a couple days, that grit is everywhere again. I would guesimate the bathroom is gritty more than 95% of the time. This is not good, because this is the bathroom house guests use.

Based off of what I've seen, cleaning the entire bathroom every 2-3 days would be required to never see a trace of this stuff. Is that the only solution, other than not using it at all? I doubt she'd be willing to clean the bathroom that frequently.

I'm about to do some remodeling downstairs, and when it's finished, I'm not going to tolerate grit anymore. Here are my options as far as I see it:

1) Require her to clean the bathroom once every 2-3 days
2) Forbid use of this hairspray in my house, not even in the garage

I don't foresee her liking either of the above options. She'll most likely opt for solution one, but I'm sure the end result will be half-ass cleaning jobs at a frequency closer to 1x a week, which will still result in a constant layer of visible, sticky, grit.

She's convinced she needs this type of "filling" hairspary because she has thin hair. Personally, I think she's pretty without Snookie-doing her hair everyday, and I'd think this amount of hairspray can't be good for her hair, scalp, skin, etc. But, my opinion doesn't matter!

There's no way she's going to go outside to do her hair.

Any suggestions? Any solution I'm missing? Help me!

Edited by dirtyBathroom - June 22 2013 at 11:34am
Dirty Bathroom
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 9:10am
You say "my" house, so if she is not paying half the rent or mortgage, and it is really your house, you get to make the rules. If she is paying her half, then she does get some say too, and some places may really be "hers".

Personally, I don't see why doing her hair in the bathroom, then stepping outside real quick to spray it in place would be so difficult. No cleaning for her, no mess for you.   I would ask politely for this, with a "can't we work this out? Its really bothering me a lot".
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 1:15pm
Love your answer Susan.  You rock.  
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic