Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To Perm or Not To Perm??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Want2GoCurly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Want2GoCurly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To Perm or Not To Perm??
    Posted: December 13 2013 at 5:24pm
Hello to the curly haired folk,

I'm hoping that there are few of here on this site who have experience with perms. I recently had my hair done for a wedding with loose, wavy curls and I LOVED it. I've always loved curly hair, so I started thinking about getting a perm. I've kinda wanted one since I was 15 so I thought I was ready to take the plunge. I did lots of online research and discovered that there are lots of different "kinds" of perms, some of which I really liked the look of. So, I called around to a few salons in my area to inquire about stylists' experience and pricing. One stylist basically crushed all of my hopes and dreams of curly hair, saying that all I would get is a wave and that a spiral curl was not possible with a perm. Cry This is NOT what the internet told me! Now, you have to understand that I've always been a "ponytail" gal. I'm not a hair expert and up until two days ago, I would have said a curl and a wave are the same thing (meany pants stylist corrected this apparent misbelief that I had). I won't lie, I was so put out by her crushing reality that I basically just hung up on her. So I'm wondering: Can anyone help me understand what this mystical wave is that a perm creates, and how it's different from when I get long loose curls put in my hair? What do I need to know about perms/curls/waves and what do I need to ask for in order to get my desired result from a stylist? Any insight would be hugely helpful!

Obsessing about curls....
vividamnesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vividamnesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 4:16am
Shes wrong. The most popular perm/wrap in the 90's is called a spiral perm! The curls depend on rod sizes & how hair is wrapped around the rods. Spiral is wrapped vertically winding hair section from bottom of rod upwards. Cascading(wavy curl) are wrapped horizontal the whole rod sits on scalp where as spiral, the tip of the rod sits on scalp. Different perm solutions can be used to for variance in curls plus different rod sizes & wrapping methods as natural curls are not all evenly uniform. I like using 3 different rod sizes & wrapping techniques as I have curly hair & find this method looks more like natural curly hair. Keep asking around salons & bring in pics of hair you like(best communication for us) & look for a stylist around 30's-40's in age as the younger generation of our breed is more attuned to straightening & flat irons!
JMcC2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic