Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New here - need hot roller advice!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aero_oceana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aero_oceana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New here - need hot roller advice!
    Posted: April 11 2014 at 12:54am
Hello everyone! :) 

I am going to visit my long distance boyfriend for the first time in over three years... next week! EEK! I have never been good at styling my hair, but I went out and purchased a hot rollers set by Conair (the multi size hot clips set). 

I LOVE the results. However, the clips leave very noticeable dents in my hair. :( I was wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas on what I could do to prevent those? I have fine, thin hair that is very stubborn and normally very straight. 

Any help would be VERY much appreciated. :) 

Thank you so much,

~Micayla
leticiacollins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leticiacollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 3:32pm
There are a lot of variables tied to hair dents.

Fine Hair May Be More Likely To Develop Dents

Some hair experts believe fine hair will more easily develop and dents more often than any other hair. 

Hair which is naturally medium to thick and has natural bend (curls, waves, coils) are less likely to develop and/or show dents. 

This is because if dents do form, they are much more visible on naturally straight, fine and/or thin strands.

Hair Dents Tend To Form On Slightly Damp Hair Vs 100% Dry Hair

Hair dents are more likely to form on hair which is slightly damp than on hair which is 100% dry. 
Hair experts believe it is best, if you are prone to hair dents, to make sure NOT to roll hair in electric or hot rollers if hair is even slightly damp.

Make sure it's totally dry and then creases/dents are less likely to form as the hair set.

Hair Dents May Be Due To Under Rolling Amount of Hair On Curlers

Some people believe if you don't roll enough hair on a curler, the clip is more likely to leave a dent. 

Therefore, if your hair is likely to get dents from hot rollers (or any other type of rollers) you may need to add more hair thickness to the rollers before you attach the clip.

Padding Hair To Avoid Dents

One trick to avoid hair dents is to place hair papers or similar style hair tissues between the hair and the rollers clips to minimize and/or eliminate possible hair wrinkles, dents or similar demarcations.

Other Anti-Dent Tricks

Although less likely to develop dents, if you have medium to thick hair you still have a risk of developing dents or creases.   To avoid demarcations divide your hair into medium sized sections to achieve the best results.

Removing Hair Dents After The Fact

To remove any dents which do form, spray hair with water and comb it through.  Blow-dry with a paddle brush to make bumps even less visible.

Mist thick or curly hair with a moisturizing setting spray, let it dry, and shake out any creases or bumps.

Edited by leticiacollins - May 15 2014 at 3:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic