Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair cut bet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Emma94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emma94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair cut bet
    Posted: April 14 2014 at 6:04am
This is going to sound really silly!

I'm in a relatively long term relationship with my boyfriend and yesterday I lost a bet with him! Now wine was involved with this conversation and basically the loser (me) has to do a forfeit of my boyfriend's choosing! Now he really surprised me by grabbing my hair (mid back) and saying that i've had the same hair since I've known him, and with my face a shorter cut would suit me!

Now 'shorter cut' doesn't sound too bad, but then the word Pixie came from his mouth!

Now part of me wants to make an appointment at a salon, while another part says OMG! If I do it, it will be for this Thursday as he's off work that day.

What do you guys think - by the way I know that if I really didn't want to do it, he wouldn't mind.
Alex04 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 6:23am
From a guy's perspective - If I was in the same situation with my GF, I'd also tell her that she doesn't have to cut her hair if she doesn't want to, however if she didn't I would keep it to myself but I would be very very disappointed.

There again it is your hair! Perhaps the other way of getting out of it is by telling him that you want him to go to the salon with you and for him to tell the stylist how he wants your hair cut! Now most guys on this forum would love to do that, but i bet you'd find that the average guy would be embarrassed and run a mile.
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 10:30pm
I want to be your BF...
OK, seriously if you want to do it, I would not tell him and go to the salon with an open mind...look at some pics, get a consultation...and surprise him (or not).  If you are too scared, maybe you could get a bob and tell him that you might go shorter but were not ready to make that big jump.  At least he recognizes you have a beautiful face Wink
Emma94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emma94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 3:09am
I was telling a girl friend yesterday about possibly cutting my hair, her reaction a big 'do it' and she pointed out that i do wear my hair in a ponytail and look great......

So i've just made an appointment for Thursday. i've told my boyfriend that he has at least got to come in to the salon for the consultation.

Must admit that the idea of 'Alex04' of getting my BF to supervise the cut would be more embarrassing for me than my boyfriend!
Emma94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emma94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 8:25am
Bit of breaking 'good' news!

My friend who thinks i should cut my hair is coming to the salon with me and is going to cut her hair!

Serious 'sheep shearing' on Thursday lol!
Alex04 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Emma94 Emma94 wrote:

Bit of breaking 'good' news!

My friend who thinks i should cut my hair is coming to the salon with me and is going to cut her hair!

Always seems to me that friendships between girls is on another level to those that guys have.  It's not the first time that I've heard of a girl cutting her hair to support her friend.

I hope you both get great new haircuts that you love on Thursday - let us know how you get on.
DMB61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMB61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 4:13pm
Good luck.... Any chance of seeing a before and after pictures of you?
Emma94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emma94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 4:35am
So my friend came around to see me last night and she has booked the appointment after mine!

So a little about my friend she is very very pretty - actually she's gorgeous, and has this quite wavy brunette probably about 4 inches past her shoulders hair which is going to be chopped! 

Turns out that she has been thinking of cutting her hair for a time. She broke up with her boyfriend just after christmas and was thinking of cutting it then, but decided to hold back for a couple of months.

She then described how she wanted her hair cutting, which is a short Bob, angled up exposing the bottom part of her ears with the back graduated short in to her neck! No doubt she'll look amazing.

She then called my boyfriend over and asked him how he was having my hair cut - she is a born troublemaker! - basically the word 'short' was used a lot! short fringe, short sides, short back, short everything - starting to get nervous!
Alex04 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 7:47am

Lol! Sounds like big changes for both you and your friend. Have either of you had short hair before?

My GF cut her very long hair in 2011 and although I got her to gradually go shorter and shorter she never went as short as I wanted - she stopped at a longish pixie. She then grew her hair out and it was only recently (actually valentine's day evening) that i persuaded her to cut her hair again. She had her cut 6 weeks ago this coming Saturday (i know it's 6 weeks because she's having her hair cut this Saturday) and she found it a lot easier to cut her hair for the second time.

So have either of you had short hair before or are you both 'virgins' at being cropped?
Emma94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emma94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Alex04 Alex04 wrote:

So have either of you had short hair before or are you both 'virgins' at being cropped?

We are virgins lol
Emma94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emma94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 8:03am
So, one 'scissor happy' stylist, two scalped girls!

My boy friend didn't come so my friend -Megan - was briefed on how my hair was to be cut, so between us we explained to the stylist. So she cut my hair and i thought she was never going to stop! it's shorter than we expected, probably only by about 1 CM but that's a lot when your hair is this short, she also thinned my hair a lot, and it's very short, a bit boyish, a bit of a 'short back and sides' more of that later.

It was then Megan turn, I must admit that i was fascinated watching all her hair being cut off but if my hair was cut 1 cm shorter than it should be, her's must be 2. So instead of just seeing the bottom of the ear you can see at least half and the back is really tight in to the nape! So we don't dislike our haircuts, it's more a case we've been taken out of our comfort zones and might be wearing a bag over our heads for the next couple of weeks!

We then met up with BF, who thinks we both looking amazing. I said about having a 'short back and sides' and he seems to think that a Pixie is just a female term for a 'short back and sides' and thinks that if a girl went to a salon for a 'short back and sides' she'd leave with a pixie! umm!

So, haircut done, not sure about it - yet! but ho-hum it's only hair it'll grow back (not if BF has his way).
DMB61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMB61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 6:50pm
Hi,

That's great!! Did the Scissor Happy Stylist, put you and your GF's hair in a ponytail first and cut it off or did she go right into cutting your hair short?

Emma94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emma94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 4:29am
My hair was a bit longer than my friends, straight and not so thick - she put my hair in a ponytail first, chopped it off before sectioning my hair.

The reason I was fascinated with Megan's cut was because her hair was a bit shorter, but thicker and wavy. The stylist sectioned her hair and started the cut by shearing her nape with clippers, it was amazing to see loads of hair one moment then a shorn section! lol
Alex04 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 5:42am

The stylist sectioned her hair and started the cut by shearing her nape with clippers, it was amazing to see loads of hair one moment then a shorn section! lol

Lol - what a horrible friend you are!LOL

I think more stylists are getting 'scissor happy' I posted earlier about my GF having her hair cut short again about 6 weeks ago. She intended to have a longish pixie like she had before which would be heavily razored leaving only part of her ears exposed and she liked length in the nape. I heard her arrive home looked out on to the driveway to see her getting out of the car with her back to me, her nape had been closely cropped and you could see all of her ear, she then turned around to face me and as she covered her ears with her hands you could see she'd really been cropped - I was the happiest man on the planet!

I obviously fully inspected her haircut expressing my appreciation, but I was (very pleasantly) surprised that she had gone so short. So I asked the question 'how come you asked her to take you this short' the answer she didn't, but had told the stylist that she was surprised how short it was, and the stylist came out with this explanation:

'That with short hair, if you cut the client's hair to the length they want after 5 or 6 weeks it looks really grown out, however if you cut the clients hair to be the perfect length at week 3 it looks perfect between salon visits'.

Now that sounds like a good explanation perhaps for yourself and Megan, however my GF is having her hair cut again tomorrow and she still looks pretty cropped compared to old photos of her longish pixie!

I must admit I can understand your BFs logic with a 'short back and sides; being the same as a 'Pixie' especially as more girl's have undercuts, and guy's like Justin Bieber have haircuts which you could probably call a pixie. The convergence has probably increased as more guys have their hair cut in salons.

However I was thinking that if you had a scenarios where lets say an attractive 20 year old girl with shoulder length hair went in to a salon and asked for ' short back and sides' and her hair was cut with no further conversation what haircut would she walk out with. It would probably depend on the type of salon and stylist but I think she would get one of three cuts:

1) I think some stylists would think she really wants a pixie but would take account of the 'short back and sides' by taking her short; so i'm thinking something similar to my GFs, short fringe, lots of razoring / texturing, hair slightly covering the top of the ear, taken short in to the nape.

2) Would be a 'Boy cut' so mostly cut scissor over comb, less layering and shorter layers at the side, precisely cut sideburns and hair cut precisely around the ears, nape shorn with clippers (No 3)

3) Similar to 2) but with the sides shorn with clippers.

I think the mostly likely outcome would be the 'Boy cut' but it would be like going in and asking for a "pixie' without any further explanation, you could walk out with quite a lot of hair to play with or a largely clippered cut!
Emma94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emma94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 9:11am
Interesting theory about having short hair cut for week 3, and get your point about the 'short back and sides'. My haircut actually sounds like a 'boy cut', I'd heard the term before but never really knew what it meant.

Megan and I are out tonight with some girl friends, so we've both 'done' our new short haircuts (that took 30 seconds) and we've got our sexiest dresses on and done our makeup, so it'll be interesting whether we are seen as two hotties or two dykes!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic