Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Clarifying shampoo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rigato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rigato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clarifying shampoo
    Posted: May 17 2014 at 2:25pm
I love swimming in the pool and for the past few weeks I have been doing that almost every day (I am on vacations) Wink 
I have read about that clarifying shampoo and I found out my hair is bad because of my swimming sessions XD 

I don't want to stop swimming, I love it! But I want my hair to be awesome as before, so is clarifyng shampoo enough? What is your personal best?  how often do you use it?

Sorry for so many questions

lion099 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lion099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 8:17pm
Hi Rigato....
It's always good to ask questions.  That's how everyone learns.

There are several tricks you can do to protect your hair from constant swimming:

General Hair Prep For Swimming

1.  When you do your regular shampoo sessions, always finish with a rinse out conditioner for your hair type & texture. If your hair is fine/thin, you may want to use a very light rinse out or just apply to the most dry and damaged sections.

Note:  Remember to use luke warm NOT hot water which can dehydrate hair.

2.  Finish with a cool/cold water cuticle which helps to close the cuticle adding a level or protection.
3.  Towel blot to remove excess moisture.  Apply a leave-in.  That acts as an ongoing barrier blocking out chemicals, dirt, pollution and helps your hair withstand heat styling.
4.  When possible, let your hair air-dry since heat makes the hair more dry and prone to damage. 

Note:  If you're doing daily swimming, you want to protect your hair as much as possible so when you can, let your hair air dry.  Or braid it while damp which creates beautiful natural waves.

Before Your Get In The Pool

It's always best to wear a swimming cap.  Yes, they look dorky in some cases, but they protect your hair.  If you don't want to go with a traditional swim cap, then what about a soft scarf?  It will give some level or protection and still look OK.

If you don't want to wear a cap or any type of hair protector then do the following before you get into the pool:

-  Douse your hair with water to get it wet.  Yes, you're getting in the pool where it will get wet, but studies have shown dry hair which get wet with pool water tends to soak up the pool chemicals more readily than hair which is pre-wet with water. 

While it's best to use bottled water, if that is too expensive or unavailable, you can use filtered or distilled.  If that also doesn't work, use plain old lukewarm tap.

Make sure you get your hair really wet.  That forms an instant barrier against the pool chemicals.

The Minute You Get Out Of The Pool:

-  As soon as you get out of the pool, douse it with water again.  This will rinse any chemicals floating on top of your strands.

If you get out of the pool to take a break and then get back in.  If you hair has dried in the interim, be sure to douse it again before you get in the pool.

After You Swimming Session

1.  After you are finished swimming for the day, if you have time, jump into a lukewarm shower.  Rinse your hair well but DON"T use shampoo or only used a very gentle poo that is diluted. 
2.  Apply a hydrating rinse out conditioner.  Comb through your strands with your fingers or a wide tooth smooth tooth comb.  Leave on for a few seconds up to a minute or two.
3.  Rinse well.  Finish with a cool/cold water rinse.  

Note:  Remember if you finish with a cool/cold water rinse which closes the cuticle.

4.  Apply a leave-in, concentrating on the ends and most dry areas.
5.  When possible let hair air dry to avoid heat damage.

Your Questions

Should you use a clarifying shampoo?  Maybe not.  Clarifying shampoo will remove some chemicals and product build-up but it can be HARSH on some types of hair, especially if used more than once a month. 

If you feel you need a clarifying shampoo, buy one that is very gentle AND consider diluting it.  1/4 teaspoon of shampoo mixed with a quart of lukewarm water and shaken to form a suds.  Gently drizzle over very wet hair (lukewarm water please) and pat into the hair.  Never rub.

If you can live without clarifying shampoo, try the washing with conditioner only.  Pool chemicals will dehydrate the healthiest of hair over time and needs moisture, moisture, moisture.

If your hair is naturally fine/thin or oily and can't handle too much moisture, alternate with a diluted hydrating shampoo applications and a rinse out conditioner.  Watch your hair closely as you swim to see how it reacts.

You can also apply a VERY light jojoba oil to the palms of your hands and gently rake through your hair before you wet it at poolside. 

The jojoba oil is most similar to human scalp sebum and will protect from the pool chemicals WITHOUT gunking up the pool water or turning your hair into an oil slick.

Other Things You Can Do

Since your hair will be assaulted by pool chemicals remember to do the following:

1.  Keep your ends trimmed to avoid excess splitting.
2.  Pamper your hair - do deep conditioning treatments as needed.
3.  Stay out of the sun when not swimming.

More questions?  Please let us know.

Good luck and enjoy your swimming.  :-)
rigato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rigato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 1:38pm
Wow, thank you for that post! I printed it and it is my little reminder :) I hope it will improve my hair. 
I tried to find a clarifying shampoo with jojoba and I couldn't find it.Confused I have found this site with good clarifying shampoo and I would like to know is Neutrogena Anti residue good shampoo? Or do you have some that has jojba oil? 
YellowDaffodils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YellowDaffodils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 1:36pm
The best shampoo I have ever used is herbal essences! A close second is Avalon organic shampoo. Both are my favorite but I have sensitive skin so love softer shampoos.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic