Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I think I have a thyroid problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I think I have a thyroid problem.
    Posted: August 28 2002 at 2:31am

I`ve always had healthy hair, but for the past 4 months my hair has become brittle and dry, and even hair falling out.

I became concered about this and started to do some reseach about it. I`ve just seen one thing that it might be and that`s my thyroid. I have all the synthoms for an underactive thyroid.

The same time I was looking at sites, my dad tells me (just a few days ago) that he has an underactive thyroid. But also he says his mother had the same thing. I quess it runs in the family.

I want to know if anyone has this, and if so can it be cured? Did the medication help you? I`m pretty sure this is what I have, but I still have to go see a doctor. Does anyone know what kind of doctor I should go see and deals with this kind of thing?

I`m very stressed about it, and living in a foreign country makes it even worse because I don`t speak the language. :(

Any help would be nice. :) Thanks. Brandi...
sabelle View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2002 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Brandi Brandi wrote:

I've always had healthy hair, but for the past 4 months my hair has become brittle and dry, and even hair falling out.

I became concered about this and started to do some reseach about it. I've just seen one thing that it might be and that's my thyroid. I have all the synthoms for an underactive thyroid.

The same time I was looking at sites, my dad tells me (just a few days ago) that he has an underactive thyroid. But also he says his mother had the same thing. I quess it runs in the family.

I want to know if anyone has this, and if so can it be cured? Did the medication help you? I'm pretty sure this is what I have, but I still have to go see a doctor. Does anyone know what kind of doctor I should go see and deals with this kind of thing?

I'm very stressed about it, and living in a foreign country makes it even worse because I don't speak the language. :(

Any help would be nice. :) Thanks. Brandi...

Your best chance of knowing is going to see a doctor. He or she will do a blood test. I`ve done some research on the subject and sometimes your thyroid will get slightly large and you`ll be able to notice. If your neck looks slightly lumpy you might have a problem. But still your best chance is going to your doctor for a blood test. YOu may have a overactive or underactive thyroid. Overactive will cause you to lose weight and other side effects like lossing your hair. Underactive will also, cause you cold chills and make you gain weight. YOu should get yourself check. Hope I hoped.
Healthnut View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healthnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2002 at 10:10pm
You should try healthyheal.com they have products for hair loss and thyroid plus most things in between. I have been using them for a while now and I have a lot of friends and family that use their stuff too. Everything is all natural and there are no side effects. I have been using their hair growth system and the hair growth accelerator drink. They are working well for me. My niece and my next door neighbor are also using the hair system and my co-worker is using their diabetes and weight loss products. My hair looks better and it completely stopped breaking. It is actually growing again which is good because it didn`t grow for about a year and a half. It looks healthy again...finally!
it`s me View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote it`s me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2002 at 11:28pm
hello, i too have a thyroid problem. your hair can be greatly affected by your thyroid. i used to have gorgeous long hair and it got really bad. my advice is to go to the doctor and be persistent- sometimes doctors are quick to say its not your thyroid but you need to insist that they do a blood test. For three weeks of being really sick they said over and over again that it couldn`t be my thyroid. finally they tested my blood and you know what- my levels were off the charts, they said i was pretty close to going into a coma. this is very treatable with medicine. if you have an underactive thyroid, many times you only need to take one pill a day. please feel free to write anymore of your questions in here and i would gladly answer them. or you could leave your email and i would write to you personally if you wanted.
Brandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2002 at 2:52am
Hi Everyone,
Thank you so much for all your help! I finally went to get my thyroid checked yesterday. After spending several hours in the overcrowed hospital I managed to get a blood test and ultrasound on my thyroid. (I got lucky)

The first doctor I seen was a man, didn`t speak any english, so my husband translated. He asks my husband what are my synthoms. My husband tells him and also says it may be my thyroid. The doctor gets frustrated with a rude look on his face. Then he reaches for his pen and writes on a tiny piece of paper "THYROID" and shows it to me. LIKE he solved all my problems. That`s what I said to begin with!!! DUH!! :P HE tells me to go to another doctor.
And all that long line that waited in front of his door he managed to get though them all in half an hour. Then he flies out of his office door down the hall then returns with a load full of food in his arms!
Just to share what I go through!! :P:P:)

Well anyway I seen another doctor. He examined my thyroid on the ultrasound. He said that it looks normal and there is no enlargement or anything.

But However, I`m still waiting for my blood results. It comes today, but they have to send it by mail since I had it done at a city far away. It will come this week most probobly. I will let everyone know my results. I hope I have this thyroid problem,,, just to know what is making my hair fall out. Otherwise I`m gonna have to visit the hospital again and I won`t know what is causing it. THerefore I will be soooo stressed. I just want my hair to grow normal again.
I have a few questions. please answer then if you can. :):)
1. Does the thyroid medicine make you hair grow back? Or fall out more?
2. Just because my thyroid looks normal, it doesn`t mean I have a thyroid problem? The blood test actually determines it?
3.If I don`t have this Thyroid problem, Do you know anything else that could be causing this??

Once again,, I thank everyone for their help!! :):)
Brandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2002 at 9:00am
OK, I just got a call from my man. He got the results and they say that my hormone levels are normal,but I didn`t see the papers for myself. I still have doubt though. I have all the synthoms for it.

Anyway,, I don`t know what to do now about my hairloss.....still stressed and angery about this whole mess.

I do know something is wrong with me and still have to figure out what it is before I go crazy.

:):):):P
Laksha View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laksha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2002 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by it's me it's me wrote:

hello, i too have a thyroid problem. your hair can be greatly affected by your thyroid. i used to have gorgeous long hair and it got really bad. my advice is to go to the doctor and be persistent- sometimes doctors are quick to say its not your thyroid but you need to insist that they do a blood test. For three weeks of being really sick they said over and over again that it couldn't be my thyroid. finally they tested my blood and you know what- my levels were off the charts, they said i was pretty close to going into a coma. this is very treatable with medicine. if you have an underactive thyroid, many times you only need to take one pill a day. please feel free to write anymore of your questions in here and i would gladly answer them. or you could leave your email and i would write to you personally if you wanted.

Hi,
I also have a thyroid problem. I had a blood test done, but my hormone levels were normal. THe doctor said that I was normal right now, but I am at risk for an underactive thyroid sometime in the near future and that I need to have tests done once every year to check the hormone levels. He also did tell me that it is treatable and that I would have to take like one pill a day.
I also am having problems with hair loss. My hair has been thinning slowly over the last few years. Whatever I try doesnt seem to work.
BTW, does the hair loss stop or reduce once you start taking medicines? What do you do to take care of your hair?
Thanks,
Laksha
it`s me View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote it`s me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2002 at 9:18pm
Yes, your thyroid can feel completely normal in your neck even if you have a severe thyroid imbalance.

My hair continued to fall out for a few months after i started the medicine but it it began to slow down after that.

To take care of my hair i wash with a gentle moisturizing shampoo and massage it in very gently.

Please continue to ask me questions because i love to answer them.
Brandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2002 at 2:26am
Originally posted by it's me it's me wrote:

Yes, your thyroid can feel completely normal in your neck even if you have a severe thyroid imbalance.

My hair continued to fall out for a few months after i started the medicine but it it began to slow down after that.

To take care of my hair i wash with a gentle moisturizing shampoo and massage it in very gently.

Please continue to ask me questions because i love to answer them.

Hi, I will go to the doctor again today to examine my results, but I don`t know what he`ll say. The information I compared my hormone levels to I found on the internet, so I"m not sure how accurate they are. By the results I found, my T4 looked at little bit low, close to the borderline.

I read on the internet that there is not a "normal" level, but everyone has there own, where they will feel comforable at. Is this true?

If they doctor says I don`t have hydrothyroidism, what can I do for my hairloss? I"m most certain this is what I have and I don`t want to wait until it`s too late to do something about it. Maybe there is a medication I can take, even though I`m at risk for it?

My hair is falling out in strange shapes. It falls out is zig-zags,curls, or just bent in two. Also it`s very dry and brittle. Did this happen to you too?

On average, how many hairs were you losing, before and after the medication? how much did the thyroid medication help you?? And did the condition of you hair improve at all?
These are questions that I really wonder about.

thank you very much!!! Brandi :):):):):):):):)
Brandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2002 at 1:22am
HI again, Well yesterday I went to the doctor and he said that I was normal.He said there wasn`t a thing wrong with my thyroid either. But they don`t take the time to examine me. (SO I THINK IT IS BS)

Then I went to see a dermo. With his own two eyes he look at the hair on my head and said my hair is very healthy. (rather than examining my hair with a microscope.) He wrote me a prescription for a shampoo and a lotion which I should put on my scalp.(it didn`t work for me.) I even did reasearch on the internet for it, and got no results. >:/
It is called Novacrin placenta shampoo.

WEll I`m really hopeless now. The doctors in this country are among the stupidest:P. I"m sure. However, I still have no idea what to do about anything. Nobody is taking me seriously here.
Brandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2002 at 2:11am
,,,,,,P.S. Are there any doctors online that I can talk to??? If there are please let me know!!:):)

thanks.
Dulci View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dulci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2002 at 4:37pm
Brandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2002 at 1:50am
Thanks for the webisite. :)

I came to the conclusion that if there is nothing wrong with my thyroid, then I definitly have some type on hormone imbalance. I have it little knot on my stomach.(but I had it since I was 12)now I`m 19.
It never gave me any trouble though. I read that a cyste on your ovary can cause hairloss, so now I`m looking into this because I have to explore all possible causes for my hairloss. (yeah if the doctors aren`t going to do anything,,,I"m on my own!!!!!) :P:P:)
Dragooney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragooney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2002 at 8:00pm
Yes, I know how y`all feel about them doctors. Sometimes you tell them bout your hairloss problem and then they look at you like you are crazy or something! the doctors always say stuff like"umm
your hair looks healthy, looks fine to me". I mean it can look healthy on
the outside but it still can be wrong in the inside. they don`t take
it seriously!!
I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our life.
it`s me View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote it`s me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2002 at 10:18pm
yes a hormonal imbalance can greatly affect your hair- especially cysts in your ovaries( causing polycystic ovarian syndrome). please do not give up- the doctors can be a pain but you need to be persistent. if i hadn`t gone back into the clinic to complain about how i was not being helped i probably wouldnt be here today (when i went in to complain they gave me a new doctor and he finally figured out that i had thyroid disease).
good luck with everything- i would get that knot in your tummy checked out. please keep me updated!:)
turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2002 at 2:44pm
i don`t know if you still come on here... but what ever ended up with your hair problem? did you figure out what was wrong?
Brandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2002 at 1:50am
Hello Again,
Sorry i have'nt posted in such a long time. I had a problem with my computer and it wouldn't allow me to post anything!! :)

Here , I have gone to the doctor several times for my hairloss. A couple tests were done for thyroid, blood, and urine. They said everything was normal.* The thing is they don't try to help me find the cause of my hairloss. If I say that it might be my thyroid, they will check my thyroid. If I say it might be my blood they will check my blood. Then it ends there. No more help.

I've only seen one good doctor and he said that I definitly have a hairloss problem. But he hasn't been in his office ever since I seen him the first time.

I've decided to wait until I go back to USA to see a doctor. I'm sure they will find the cause of my hairloss. I still have to get these two knots on my stomach checked out. One is in the area around my ovary and the other is below my ribcage on the opposite side. ( I hope it's not a tumor or something like that.)

I may go back to usa this year sometime. And I will keep you updated on my results.!

thanks for your concern. :):):)
Hair2day View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair2day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2002 at 7:35pm
before you take thyroid medicine, you might want to take the amino acid, tyrosine. it is the precursor to the thyroid hormone in your body, and you do not need a prescription for it - you can buy it at your local health food store.
turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2002 at 7:18pm
self treating thyroid disease can be soooo dangerous.
Fedric Levenson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fedric Levenson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 12:40am
Hi,

You should go and consult with doctor before completely hair loss. You may consult with newdoctor.com and take the advice.

Take Care

Edited by Fedric Levenson - April 19 2010 at 12:44am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic