Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Color Prep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
silver_beetle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver_beetle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Color Prep
    Posted: September 07 2014 at 11:44am
I was told by a stylist that there are non-lightening developers out there to open the cuticle so demi-permanent color stays a bit longer. I do not need to bleach first because most of my hair is naturally silver. Does anyone have a suggestion for brands & what I should be looking for? I see developers with volumes listed on the Sally Beauty Supply website, but I don't know if that's for use with bleach.

The stylist who told me this gave me a terrible cut that I had to have fixed by a student at Aveda Institute (the student did a much better job than the so-called professional), so I don't necessarily trust anything she had to say about color. Any advice from pros? People who have successfully done developer as a first step to demi-permanent (like Pravana or Ion colors)?
vividamnesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vividamnesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 4:52am
10 volume/3% peroxide is the standard 1level or max deposit strength that roughs up the cuticle enough to deposit color to hair shaft without lifting like a 20-40 vol.6-12% would. These developers/peroxides, are used for both coloring & bleaching services. The strength is the determiner of desired chemical service. Peroxide comes in clear or cream, you want cream as its healthier & a better emollient for color application its more stable too.

If your hair is silver, this means you have white/no pigment hair strands amongst your leftover pigmented hair that has not yet lost its pigment making a lightgrey/silver look to your hair. Unless you are 1 of those rare folk whom has a sudden silver/white natural color change that typically happens in early-mid teens.

There are some mens color like Redkens color camo that comes in natural ash tones light,med,dark that works in 10 mins as a demi that does not color the whole head of hair as a solid 1 tone color but makes grey/silver &the natural color look less grey/silver leaving some of the grey/silver & still natural looking with the silver but not as much silver.......Hope this helps you out a bit:)
JMcC2
silver_beetle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver_beetle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 12:18pm
"Unless you are 1 of those rare folk whom has a sudden silver/white natural color change that typically happens in early-mid teens."

My hair started turning to silver when I was about 15 years old! I appreciate your response, this will help me... as to making something look "natural", I'm headed in the direction of turquoise, so that won't be possible (or necessary)! LOL

Edited by silver_beetle - September 27 2014 at 12:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic