Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Color Oops, then lighter color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ruthie456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruthie456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Color Oops, then lighter color
    Posted: September 12 2014 at 2:07pm
I've been coloring my hair for awhile now, and it has gradually gotten darker than I want it to be. I'm told this is because the hair color opens up the strands and allows more color in.

I'm going to use Color Oops to remove the accumulated color, then a lighter color (light cool brown) to go back to my natural shade.

I have tried this before, and the color 'grabs' so it is almost as dark as it was before.

How can I prevent this 'color grab'? I just want to color my hair a light brown, not dark brown.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ruthie
Ruthie456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruthie456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 11:20am
Well, since nobody answered me, I went digging on my own. Found that using a protein conditioner would help prevent color grab. 

The Color Oops went amazingly well, making my hair look about a shade lighter than the natural shade - which I hardly remember. I shampooed and rinsed and shampooed and rinsed again, according to the directions. Then applied a good-sized blop of Pantene Expert Keratin Repair conditioner (which lists keratin, a protein, as an ingredient) mixed with a good-sized blop of the conditioner that comes with my hair color - Natural Instincts. This stuff is magic, and makes my hair really soft and fluffy. Left this mix on for about five minutes and rinsed. Towel-dried, and sprayed on Flat Iron Spray Brazilian Keratin Therapy by OGX and applied some of Loreal's Advanced Hair Care Total Repair Extreme Split Ends Fixer and some Argan Oil with keratin by (somebody). Left this sit for 20 minutes or so, then applied the color I wanted: Natural Instincts Light Ash Brown - roots first, then all the rest. Watching the color of my hair, I left this on for a total of only three or four minutes, then rinsed out and conditioned with their (aforementioned magical) conditioner and the Keratin Repair again. 

My hair, amazingly, is soft and fluffy, and it is the color I wanted, without the residual dark brown build-up.

Since my knowledge of hair chemistry is thin to none, I think I got really lucky.

Reading more about this, I kind of understand why no one answered me. The results can vary widely, and disasters are many. I really don't blame anybody. Just thought I'd share what worked for me. Your results may vary...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic