Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More on how to wear hair in business

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More on how to wear hair in business
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:40pm
Hi all,Now that we have debated the pros and cons about long hair in business and how it affects appearance my antennae are up for info on appearance.I found this quote this morning at a hair and beauty site:"Does your appearance really matter? Statistics show 55% of a person's opinion of you is based on what you look like, 38% on what you sound like and only 7% on what you're saying.Comments?Have a great day.Karen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Joan View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:40pm
Arrrgh. 7% pay attention to what you say and 55% on what they look like? Ouch! Can this be right? If so, I am in trouble. I never even wear makeup let along curl my hair. I like the natural look.Joan> Hi all,> Now that we have debated the pros and cons about long> hair in business and how it affects appearance my> antennae are up for info on appearance.> I found this quote this morning at a hair and beauty> site:> "Does your appearance really matter? Statistics> show 55% of a person's opinion of you is based on what> you look like, 38% on what you sound like and only 7%> on what you're saying.> Comments?> Have a great day.> Karen
Susie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:40pm
Hi Karen,I found this quote on another board. Thought you would be interested.....Visual discrimination!Employers and business tycoons (both male and female) engage in it . . . big time! They are not even conscience of it, but it plays one of the biggest roles in the employee evaluation process. Ask your local TV anchorwoman about visual discrimination . . . she can tell you all about how important your hair is.
Kayak cutie
Dan View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
There are three kinds of lies. Lies, damn lies and statistics -Mark TwainProof? See Rasputin. He was butt ugly, and yet he had it going on. Why was this?
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
You can never make a first impression a second time.I think I also read once that it is either the first 30 seconds or the first 3 minutes, probably the former which is the most important period for making this impression. If you get off to a bad start either appearance or just acting awkward etc, you can face an up hill struggle.
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
> There are three kinds of lies. Lies, damn lies and> statistics -Mark Twain> Proof? See Rasputin. He was butt ugly, and yet he had> it going on. Why was this?Exceptions to the appearance rule are true genius and charisma..... how often do we see eccentric geniuses but forgive them their quirky appearances because they have so much else to offer (they get respect in other ways)
Arthur View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
> Hi Karen,> I found this quote on another board. Thought you would> be interested.....> Visual discrimination!> Employers and business tycoons (both male and female)> engage in it . . . big time! They are not even> conscience of it, but it plays one of the biggest> roles in the employee evaluation process. Ask your> local TV anchorwoman about visual discrimination . . .> she can tell you all about how important your hair is.Hi everybody,This discussion reminds me of a haircutting incidentinvolving a local anchorwoman in San Francisco. Shewas the weekend anchorperson for many years. Hertrademark was her waist length blonde hair. A fewmonths ago she was promoted to be the daily co-anchor.A few weeks after she cut her hair to a above the shoulderflip. Her comment was that since she was being seen ona regular basis she had to appear more professional. Sadbut true.Arthur
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:42pm
I'm from San Fransisco and that's exactly what I was thinking of while reading this. Her name is Leslie Grifith (sp?) and her best friend cut her hair after telling her she looked like a 'victorian prude' on TV. She modeled the cut after Courney Thorne Smith on 'Alley Mcbeal'. I think it would have looked much better if she had just toned down the blonde dye a little insteaaad of chopping it off.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:42pm
Gee, some friend she turned out to be. I don't understand this,why would a person seek to disempower their own friend by sayingsuch a thing?Ladies, is this kind of thing (putting down a female friend) normal?And if not, what explains her statement?Curious and puzzled...
David M Squires
Arthur View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:42pm
I totally agree with you. Leslie Griffiths definatelylooks better with longer hair.ArthurI'm from San Fransisco and that's exactly what I was> thinking of while reading this. Her name is Leslie> Grifith (sp?) and her best friend cut her hair after> telling her she looked like a 'victorian prude' on TV.> She modeled the cut after Courney Thorne Smith on> 'Alley Mcbeal'. I think it would have looked much> better if she had just toned down the blonde dye a> little insteaaad of chopping it off.
Juna View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:43pm
> Gee, some friend she turned out to be. I don't> understand this,> why would a person seek to disempower their own friend> by saying> such a thing?> Ladies, is this kind of thing (putting down a female> friend) normal?> And if not, what explains her statement?> Curious and puzzled...Let's face it, not every woman has the gift of beautiful long flowing hair. Maybe her "friend" wished Leslie to be as ordinary as she is. Long hair can be styled in a professional way, and in a way that is a step above the rest. We worry too much about what people think instead of going with our heart.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:43pm
> Long hair can be styled in a professional way,> and in a way that is a step above the rest. We worry> too much about what people think instead of going with> our heart.Luna, on this point I agree with you wholeheartedly.Just this past week a colleague of mine cut her nearlywaist-length hair to just below her shoulders -- becauseshe had been told by another of her colleagues that she"needed" to do so to appear more "professional." I knowshe loved having long hair and I could tell that she reallydidn't want to cut it... but in the end succumbed to thepressure.> Maybe her "friend" wished Leslie to be as ordinary as she is.Maybe so. Sad. We are not made better by bringing someone else down.> Let's face it, not every woman has the gift of beautiful long flowing hair.Perhaps not every woman... but a lot more women than realizeit CAN have long hair (be it straight, wavy, or curly).Hair abuse takes many forms, all of which compromise thehealth of hair in its natural state and prevent the hairfrom achieving its potential length.Dave
David M Squires
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic